• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's getting old

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong once again. When GORE got dinged up, our pass protection had more breakdowns, not Miller. As far as light interior, you may be correct but it was a significant improvement over Rachel, resulting in better pass protection then the first five games or so.

i wasn't the only one that noticed the pass protection not being as good when miller was injured. gore seemed a bit lazy this year on his pass blocking tho.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOTH run and pass blocking were in the upper echelon of the NFC for almost 2/3 of the season

My facts about short distance failure helps to brush away bold but unsupported nonsense like that.

So our short distance woes which affect 3-4 plays per game somehow become the sample size from which to base our entire offensive effectiveness for an entire game? You are delusional. Your "facts" for short yardage do nothing but put a laser's point on whatever idea you want to run with but do nothing when it comes to actually breaking down a teams entire offense. But hey, don't let reality get in your way. 1st and inches, leggo!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I recognize reality. You invent it with me saying Smith was better than All-Pro or MVP QBs.

You brought Brees up. Not me. I just asked if we should pretend that Smith is on the elite QB level, since you felt Drew Brees was the appropriate comparison to make.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You brought Brees up. Not me. I just asked if we should pretend that Smith is on the elite QB level, since you felt Drew Brees was the appropriate comparison to make.

In a separate point, BS pulled out of nowhere actually, about how Smith stat padded his completion % with drop-offs to our RBs.
Never insinuated that was a legitimate point. Just that it wasn't a factor with Smith anyway.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In a separate point, BS pulled out of nowhere actually, about how Smith stat padded his completion % with drop-offs to our RBs.
Never insinuated that was a legitimate point. Just that it wasn't a factor with Smith anyway.

Then you avoided the questions about why you chose Brees. New England targeted their top 2 RBs (BGE and Woodhead) on 44 of 612 passes (7.2%). Maybe it's a function of the RB in New Orleans.
But you are right, Smith doesn't pad his stats with dumpoffs to the RBs. Mostly because he has trouble getting them catchable balls.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then you avoided the questions about why you chose Brees. New England targeted their top 2 RBs (BGE and Woodhead) on 44 of 612 passes (7.2%). Maybe it's a function of the RB in New Orleans.
But you are right, Smith doesn't pad his stats with dumpoffs to the RBs. Mostly because he has trouble getting them catchable balls.

Frank Gore did drop 6 passes that got to him.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Frank Gore did drop 6 passes that got to him.

Drop by what standard? This is the problem with your drops chart. Every site that monitors drops has their own definition. That's why it's not an official NFL stat.

But how many times have you seen Alex miss Gore on a check down. How many times has he missed a WR screen with a high throw (either too high and incomplete, or the WR goes up and catches it for a 2 yard loss because he's hit before he lands?

Smith is an average NFL QB. I don't know why you guys feel the need to build him up into more than that.

seksiwidow in particular. It's hard not to believe you wouldn't vote for him to get into the Hall if you had a vote the way you talk about him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont talk about smth as if he's a hall of famer. all i say is he's played decent and he's progressing...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see people on here say Kaepernick has no hope at being successful, but also talk about Alex Boone as if he's the answer to all our OL problems, and talk about Dobbs, Williams and RJF as if they're the future of the DL.

So undrafted and late round picks are the future in the trenches (all 4 are going to be great), but the 2nd round QB is a bust already. . . ?

Mhmm

I think its a lot more difficult for a QB who played at Podunk U, in a bush league conference, in a gimmick offense to be successful than it would be for a Tackle or Guard. Count me in the group who is very skeptical of Kaepernick.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that I think CK will fail... I just don't know if he is ready right now. Like I said in another thread, he can easily match and surpass Smiths TD and yardage totals of last season, but is he gonna be able to keep the mistakes down like Smith did?? If our turnover margin wasn't as great as it was, we aren't 13-3 (obviously) and we certainly don't beat the Saints.

A lot of pressure on a kid who has never started a game in the NFL to take over a team that was so close to a Superbowl, with a fanbase with high expectations that has been waiting for a franchise QB for over a decade. But who knows... QBs are coming in and making an impact right away these days.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought boone played well when staley got hurt.

i considered kap to be a reach in the 3rd round. some like his potential some dont. he wouldn't be the first qb in the world to crash and burn. not every qb can even put up 17 tds in a season. how many qb's last year had more attempts and less tds than smith?

what is getting old is the notion that we can grab someone from burger king to replace smith and get the same production.

Tarvaris Jackson had five more attempts and three fewer TD's.
Rex Grossman had 13 more attempts and one fewer TD's.
Colt McCoy had 18 more attempts and three fewer TD's.
Josh Freeman (in a bit of an anomaly season) had 106 more attempts and one fewer TD's.

With the exception of Freeman, Smith posted comparable numbers to guys who have already been replaced.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
air it out to who? every qb misses passes. smith was 11th in the league in %... nothing great, but decent.

His numbers are actually very comparable to what Matt Moore of the Dolphins posted last year. But Moore only played in 13 games. And is also going to be replaced.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never said that I think CK will fail... I just don't know if he is ready right now. Like I said in another thread, he can easily match and surpass Smiths TD and yardage totals of last season, but is he gonna be able to keep the mistakes down like Smith did?? If our turnover margin wasn't as great as it was, we aren't 13-3 (obviously) and we certainly don't beat the Saints.

A lot of pressure on a kid who has never started a game in the NFL to take over a team that was so close to a Superbowl, with a fanbase with high expectations that has been waiting for a franchise QB for over a decade. But who knows... QBs are coming in and making an impact right away these days.

I don't think anyone expects him to come in and have less turnovers then Smith did last year. That being said I don't think anyone expects him to come in and ONLY put up the numbers that Smith did either.It's easier to swallow the turnovers if he can throw for more yards and get us more touchdowns.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt Kap can put up the numbers for the stat hounds. But if he makes the mistakes that lose games. I am not saying Kap will suck but basing your argument over Alex's pedestrian numbers. Cam Newton put up pretty good numbers.. But I in't see Carolina in the NFC Championship game. 6 Fourth Quarter comebacks, 8 interceptions. His limiting mistakes helped win games by equating to points or being able to punt and win the field position battle when the defense took over. Alex is not the long term answer he is a 2-3 year option until Kap proves he is ready or that he isn't and we find another QB. The stat that counts to me was 13-3. Largely thanks to the defense but Alex did good in holding up his end. If Kap beats Alex out in the preseason awesome. But to proclaim he is ready to take over a team that went to the NFC championship game largely sight unseen is almost as irrational for the blin hatred of certain players.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no doubt Kap can put up the numbers for the stat hounds. But if he makes the mistakes that lose games. I am not saying Kap will suck but basing your argument over Alex's pedestrian numbers. Cam Newton put up pretty good numbers.. But I in't see Carolina in the NFC Championship game. 6 Fourth Quarter comebacks, 8 interceptions. His limiting mistakes helped win games by equating to points or being able to punt and win the field position battle when the defense took over. Alex is not the long term answer he is a 2-3 year option until Kap proves he is ready or that he isn't and we find another QB. The stat that counts to me was 13-3. Largely thanks to the defense but Alex did good in holding up his end. If Kap beats Alex out in the preseason awesome. But to proclaim he is ready to take over a team that went to the NFC championship game largely sight unseen is almost as irrational for the blin hatred of certain players.

Most fans aren't willing to wait for a QB to sit on the bench for 2-3 years anymore and I would argue that any QB that requires sitting that long isn't a relevant answer anyway. If you've got talent it will show and there is no reason for you to take that long to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Sure Alex pulled back some late wins last year but you have to look at the other angle, if he had played better in the first three quarters we may not have needed those late game heroics and last second defensive stands.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's absolutely no way Kap can match Alex's numbers from last season. 17 TDs in 16 games is untouchable.

And to say that Alex will not throw more than 17 TDs next season...in 16 games is just as foolish.

I don't think it would be hard for Kap to equal or better Smiths TD count next season...but I think it would be even easier for him to triple the number of turnovers. I think Kap has a bright future with the 49ers, but not this season. We'll see what happens in camp, if Kap wins the position GREAT...then we have the better of the two starting.

You and everyone else arguing this think that Smith will not improve...in fact get worse because, "...he will throw more INTs..." You keep quoting 17 TDs in almost Cazic like fashion and almost directly suggest that Smith will not do any better.

Hypothetically:
If Smith throws 24 TDs and 10 turnovers, but Kap throws 25 TDs and has 18 turnovers...who do you want?

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most fans aren't willing to wait for a QB to sit on the bench for 2-3 years anymore and I would argue that any QB that requires sitting that long isn't a relevant answer anyway. If you've got talent it will show and there is no reason for you to take that long to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Sure Alex pulled back some late wins last year but you have to look at the other angle, if he had played better in the first three quarters we may not have needed those late game heroics and last second defensive stands.

Is Aaron Rodgers irrelevant? Steve Young?

It's not that they "require" sitting, its the situation and the complexity of the position. I'm in the camp that sitting two years can a good thing. Kap is coming out of the proverbial "gimmick" offense from a very weak conference, that's not a sure signal he will fail, but it should be cause for some moderation on his chances of success and how long it will take.

IF THE ENTIRE TEAM PLAYED BETTER then we would not have needed those heroics...its team sport right? Alex was not the sole reason we could not put it in the redzone, OL, RBs, WRs, QB, play calling etc. How much of this should Crabtree shoulder for his dropped passes? His tipped passes into the other teams hands? He ranks #10 for dropped passes, but I guess they don't give bonus points for tipping the ball to the other team.