• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's getting old

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 TDs would put him somewhere around #10. So would 14 INTs. 3,800 yards would put him around 12th. Not really taking the league my storm. Cam Newton was 10th in yards, Flacco was 12th, Freeman was 13th, Hasselbeck was 14th, Dalton was 16th. It's not unfathomable that he can put up as much yards as those guys. And it's just a projection, as 30 yards per game makes a big difference in the overall rankings.

29 tds puts him at 6th not 10th. 29 tds 14 ints taken together is 6th or 7th - equal to Manning, Romo, Ryan, better than Rivers, Newton, Roethlisberger, Vick, Sanchez.... The list goes on and on. Basically it would put him below only Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford. That is the definition of taking the league by storm.

What you are expecting would give you a little better than a 90 qbr by my estimation... You can expect whatever you want it's a free country, but I'm telling you you're deluding yourself to expect so much from a guy who basically hasnt played yet in the nfl.

I didn't mention yards - because I put far more merit in Tds and turnovers - but youre right that'd be about 12th. Doesn't mean much to me either way.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh...climbing over his nuts, huh...that's mature...f-bombs too, if someone defends Smith you believe only what your preconceived notions allow...nothing less...

I'm just trying to keep the debate lively and interesting. :kiss:

Where did I EVER exaggerate his improvement? I have consistently said HE has improved, but I have never said he had a great season or even a good season, he had a decent season, but a huge improvement for himself...why is that so hard for you grasp? Because you want the argument to look like I'm exaggerating about Smith. Its more than turnovers and you know it...

Semantics, I know, but you said he's much improved. I disagree with that. I think he has improved, primarily because he has learned not to throw the ball to the other team, but I think every other aspect of his game has remained stagnant. From 2010 to 2011 his TDs per game, yards per game, 3rd down conversion rate, RZ conversion rate, and 1st downs per game have all decreased.

He was still the same QB who was always limited at the LOS, limited in terms of seeing the field and diagonising coverage, and limited in terms of improvising when things around him break down. Since he's been in a 49ers uniform those have been his achilles heels and I really didn't see much improvement in those categories

The fact that Harbaugh tried to limit Alex's involvement in the offense as much as possible, IMO, atests to that. Harbaugh saw that immediately and shifted his offense from a complex, play-action based passing system to a simplistic passing scheme that plays second fiddle to the running game and defense.

The team had a problem in the redzone and 3rd down, not just Alex...didn't work when we ran it, didn't work when passed it. When we crossed the 50 the entire offense would sputter.

Of course it's not all Alex. No one is saying that. But the QB is THE most important position for a reason. A good QB makes everyone around him that much better. The 49ers were one of the top teams to see 8 man boxes against the run last season, for instance. That has a lot to do with Alex at QB.

How does he put together these comebacks if he can't do those things beyond "raw numbers". Here's a guy who passes better when he rolls out than in the pocket and he was always better under pressure when we were losing and had to get it done. He could've folded against NOLA but didn't that 4th quarter he did a good job, I think he can do that consistently if the we start passing more.

He was impressive in some of the comebacks, no doubt, but that doesn't mean much when he's the reason we were put in that situation in the first place. Tim Tebow had more comeback wins than most QBs in the league last season - that doesn't make him a legitimate QB.

And no, I'm not comparing Alex to Tebow as QBs. Clearly Alex is the more talented player.

Yes...I simplified the running argument, are you suggesting that he be used like Tebow? My point was on the occassions Smith ran he was good, CK based on college performance may do better on those occassions.

No, I'm suggesting he can be used like Cam Newton was used. Or how Michael Vick has been used. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as these guys running the football, but the guy has undeniable talent. Like I said, he ran a faster 40 than both Newton and Locker at the combine. His last three years in college he ran for 1203, 1183, and 1130 yards. He also ran for 20, 16 and 17 TDs. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he's a bigger threat than Alex running the ball and I think it's ridiculous that you're trying to minimize it.

I don't and you don't know how many pass attempts he will have. But Cam Newton the #1 draft choice attempted 32 passes per game and threw 17 INTs along with his 21 TDs...its not ridiculous at all to think that CK could throw 18 INTs, especially after his pre-season performance which is all we have to judge him on. Michael Vick attempted fewer than 28 passes per game and he threw 14 INTs and only 18 TDs...Colt McCoy, Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, Carson Palmer...none of them rookies, passed 28 or less times per game, all close to 18 INTs worse yet they had less than 16 TDs. One thing is sure the TD/INT ratio will be a net loss (significantly) with CK and that was a key factor in our playoff appearance (that and being in the NFC West)...

Kaepernick is not gonna be asked to throw the ball 32 times per game. He's gonna have a defense that's gonna keep the score relatively close week to week unlike Newton had. I'm assuming he'll average ~27 attempts per game like Alex did this season. Newton threw an INT every 30 attempts. That means Kap would have to throw an INT every 25 attempts to match Newton's ratio. That's ridiculous.

The WAC comment... I'll just ask you to read that again I clearly said I was not making an issue of it, just expressing

The MWC is a better conference, much better...difference of conferences and caliber of competition...ask SEC fans if that matters, its not a central point just a concern about the competition he's faced in the WAC.

That's one of the question marks about Kap , no doubt. It's one of the reasons why I thought he was a reach in the 2nd round. But Harbaugh obviously liked him, Baalke liked him enough to trade up for him in the 2nd round, and I have no doubt that Harbaugh/Roman can limit Kap and play to his strengths as they did with Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 tds puts him at 6th not 10th. 29 tds 14 ints taken together is 6th or 7th - equal to Manning, Romo, Ryan, better than Rivers, Newton, Roethlisberger, Vick, Sanchez.... The list goes on and on. Basically it would put him below only Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford. That is the definition of taking the league by storm.

What you are expecting would give you a little better than a 90 qbr by my estimation... You can expect whatever you want it's a free country, but I'm telling you you're deluding yourself to expect so much from a guy who basically hasnt played yet in the nfl.

I didn't mention yards - because I put far more merit in Tds and turnovers - but youre right that'd be about 12th. Doesn't mean much to me either way.

Yeah, 6th - but tied with TWO other QBs. In this case 6th is the same as 9th. Rivers' also had a down year who was at 8. Cam Newton was 11th at 21 TDs and Fitzpatrick was 10th with 24. 29 TDs isn't taking the league by storm.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a break from answering anybody in this post. I absolutely love that cazic is the benchmark for "YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!!!" no matter who says what, about whom, or indicative of anything in particular.

Carry on. Here's a llama: :llama:

Heheh, I'm particularly fond of "full-on-cazic"...if I had a band... nah he'd like that, plus I can't sing.

Really it just means that we waste too much time on the internets that we even know what a cazic is, we should spend more time with our wives or curing cancer or something. :think:

Thanks for the llama - I was gonna give you a sheep in return but that poor sheep has enough problems.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heheh, I'm particularly fond of "full-on-cazic"...if I had a band... nah he'd like that, plus I can't sing.

Really it just means that we waste too much time on the internets that we even know what a cazic is, we should spend more time with our wives or curing cancer or something. :think:

Thanks for the llama - I was gonna give you a sheep in return but that poor sheep has enough problems.

lol. Nice.

I should spend more time brewing. That's my contribution. Sure it doesn't cure cancer, but it does make people happy in the short term.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Nice.

I should spend more time brewing. That's my contribution. Sure it doesn't cure cancer, but it does make people happy in the short term.

Happy? My beer belly would like a word with you.

:mad2:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy? My beer belly would like a word with you.

:mad2:

I assume no responsibility for the actions people take with regard to my beer. That's why my liability insurance premium is gonna be a motherfucker.

However, I do recommend 3200 situps a day. I don't personally do that, but it seems in the vicinity of accurate.

Off topic. Drinking a single-hop pale ale my partner came up with a few weeks ago. It's finally mature, and it is freaking AWESOME. Brewing your own beer is cool. Drinking your own beer is cool. Pouring a pint of draught of your own beer is PRICELESS. Granted, my only contribution to this one was, "Sounds good. Run with it, kid." But the IPA I'm about to pour is all mine.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 6th - but tied with TWO other QBs. In this case 6th is the same as 9th. Rivers' also had a down year who was at 8. Cam Newton was 11th at 21 TDs and Fitzpatrick was 10th with 24. 29 TDs isn't taking the league by storm.

6th tied with 2 others somehow = 9th :think: :doh:

None of the rest of your post means anything meaningful.

There is only one reason you don't see this as taking the league by storm... You are deluding yourself into thinking that Alex Smith is so bad that an untested rookie can come in and throw 70% more tds and only turn it over a few more times (somehow seems plausible to you) and heck that's only like the 12th best because Alex Smith is the worstest and he's like the worst QB.

29 tds has CK only behind the top 5 qbs...which means you expect CK to fall out of bed and be elite - not 12th best, somewhere around 6th best. Smokin the crack dude. There is no other explanation for this irrational thought process - other than Alex-induced delusion. End :rant:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Step away from the litigation, sir. :tape2:

This llama has nothing to do with anything: :llama:

This llama disagrees with your assessment:

Hmmm. Link didn't work. warty needs to research problem.

Damn...I tried to find a way to put the video in the post...but I assure you it was pro-beer...I freaking love your use of the llama...so random...so freakin funny!

Try this..worth watching...

Tom T Hall (I Like Beer) - YouTube

If no workie...google Tom T Hall on youtube...the best beer drinking song in the world...in my humble opinion...

...and as a musician let us mourn the loss of Earl Scruggs...man that guy was awesome...re-invented the banjo...good banjo, good beer...its like peanut butter & jelly, hot dogs & baseball, Ben Affleck & movies that suck...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume no responsibility for the actions people take with regard to my beer. That's why my liability insurance premium is gonna be a motherfucker.

However, I do recommend 3200 situps a day. I don't personally do that, but it seems in the vicinity of accurate.

Off topic. Drinking a single-hop pale ale my partner came up with a few weeks ago. It's finally mature, and it is freaking AWESOME. Brewing your own beer is cool. Drinking your own beer is cool. Pouring a pint of draught of your own beer is PRICELESS. Granted, my only contribution to this one was, "Sounds good. Run with it, kid." But the IPA I'm about to pour is all mine.

My uncle brewed too and was getting to something good (he's not much of a quantity drinker, maybe a glass every other day, but he's quality). Anywho, he was adopting a kid and the family interviewer made him can that operation because that was a negative on adoption. Now that his daughter is 13, I wonder if he'll pick it up again. His brewing was on a really small scale, I was too young to see if it was any good.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn...I tried to find a way to put the video in the post...but I assure you it was pro-beer...I freaking love your use of the llama...so random...so freakin funny!

Try this..worth watching...

Tom T Hall (I Like Beer) - YouTube

If no workie...google Tom T Hall on youtube...the best beer drinking song in the world...in my humble opinion...

...and as a musician let us mourn the loss of Earl Scruggs...man that guy was awesome...re-invented the banjo...good banjo, good beer...its like peanut butter & jelly, hot dogs & baseball, Ben Affleck & movies that suck...

Nice. "It helps me unwind, and sometimes it even makes me feel mellow."

We're brewing a red rye this weekend. It's freaking huge, though, and somewhat overly hopped. We're expecting a final ABV right around 8% and IBU's in the IPA range. We've typically shied away from beers that don't fit a style, so I'm pretty excited about this one. We won't be able to enter it into competitions, but that's okay. Just four more beers for us to drink.

Next weekend we'll probably be doing an Irish Red again. We have a decent recipe, but it needs to be tweaked with a bit of Roast/Black Patent, and a change of yeast strain.

Good times.