• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's getting old

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't understand why moving on from Alex is so fucking hard for some people. Jesus.

I can just picture you pulling your hair out and muttering something vicious whenever someone says anything remotely positive about Smith. Heh.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK is certainly ready? Awesome news.

So how are you guys watching the practices? Closed-circuit cams set up?

He's a 2nd round pick who had a year to sit. So I would think that he's ready. How long should he sit? 3 or 4 years??? Didn't realize CK was backing up a HOF'er.

longbeach 49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fact the Niners are only willing to guarantee Alex $10mm tells me this will be his last year as our starter. If that's the case I say let him go and run with CK.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's a 2nd round pick who had a year to sit. So I would think that he's ready. How long should he sit? 3 or 4 years??? Didn't realize CK was backing up a HOF'er.

Just poking fun at people making judgments about what he can or can't do. I'm all for people saying "I hope he shows enough to take the job from AS in camp" or something like that, but saying he's ready......its just the typical nonsense. Nobody knows anything.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith probably won't even match Alex Smith's numbers from last year. If Harbaugh lets him throw more he will most likely have more TD's and more INT's. I see very limited potential improvement from Smith at this point in his career.

Having a year under his belt, with a full offseason of work there is no reason Kap could not match 17 TD's even though he will most likely throw more INT's as well. Add his superior running ability and arm strength which actually better matches our personnel (Moss, Manningham, Davis) and Kap looks like a better value.

Also, if we went in this direction I would try and sign Mike Wallace and get a veteran RG.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK is certainly ready? Awesome news.

So how are you guys watching the practices? Closed-circuit cams set up?

You're pretty good at taking one part of a past and making it seem more thn it is. All he said was that kap was ready to be babied by Harbaugh the same way Alex was last year. no one is saying kap is ready to take the league by storm.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Whether it be Alex, Kaep, Tolzien, or any other qb under center we HAVE to have better play calling in the red zone. Last years playcalling was pathetic and, as he's proven throughout his career, Gore is NOT a great short yardage/goal line back. Yet we'd run him up the gut at least two times per every set of downs inside the red zone. Of course there'd be a reverse thrown in sometimes as well. But damn, at least give your qb a chance to make a play.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Look, Clutch is not an elite QB. But there's a reason his nickname is Clutch. We've got to re-sign him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith probably won't even match Alex Smith's numbers from last year. If Harbaugh lets him throw more he will most likely have more TD's and more INT's. I see very limited potential improvement from Smith at this point in his career.

Having a year under his belt, with a full offseason of work there is no reason Kap could not match 17 TD's even though he will most likely throw more INT's as well. Add his superior running ability and arm strength which actually better matches our personnel (Moss, Manningham, Davis) and Kap looks like a better value.

Also, if we went in this direction I would try and sign Mike Wallace and get a veteran RG.

smith is at the point where a qb begins to reach their prime. his breakout season should be this year after having a full offseason with the same system.

not every starter gets 17 td's. 4 qb's last year alone had more attempts than smith with less td's.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it be Alex, Kaep, Tolzien, or any other qb under center we HAVE to have better play calling in the red zone. Last years playcalling was pathetic and, as he's proven throughout his career, Gore is NOT a great short yardage/goal line back. Yet we'd run him up the gut at least two times per every set of downs inside the red zone. Of course there'd be a reverse thrown in sometimes as well. But damn, at least give your qb a chance to make a play.

we also need a red zone target. a big reason why i'd like to see us go after burress. with a better RG i think gore gets more room. dixon can work as well with better push up front.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith is at the point where a qb begins to reach their prime. his breakout season should be this year after having a full offseason with the same system.

not every starter gets 17 td's. 4 qb's last year alone had more attempts than smith with less td's.

I've heard that every year for the past 5 years. It is logical to conclude that if his pass attempts go up so do his TDs, but it at the same time it's logical to conlcude that if his pass attempts go up, so do his INTs. I believe his INT differential will higher this year than his TD differential. I hope I'm wrong at this point!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that every year for the past 5 years. It is logical to conclude that if his pass attempts go up so do his TDs, but it at the same time it's logical to conlcude that if his pass attempts go up, so do his INTs. I believe his INT differential will higher this year than his TD differential. I hope I'm wrong at this point!

2008: injured
2009: nobody knew if he could come back from the injury
2010: suppose to get back to the playoffs but the whole offense was a mess. smith limited turnovers after the near benching. how many offensive coordinators get fired during a season for not being able to call plays? sums up the offense that year.
2011: nobody really wanted to hype the niners because of 2010. smith looked more in control of the offense and performed when needed. it wasn't pretty at times, but we don't get to the nfc championship with kolb, hasselbeck, vince young or any other goofball ppl wanted.
2012: he's 27 with basically 5 years as a starter. last 3 seasons since his comeback, he's progressed each year under 4 coordinators.

is it out of the realm of possibility that having his first offseason with the same staff won't be his breakout year?

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it out of the realm of possiblity we've seen his best and that this won't be his "breakout" year?

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There you go exaggerating his improvement again. Improved so much? Really? He protected the ball much better. That's as far as his improvement goes. Like I've said repeatedly, he averaged less yards per game and less TDs per game with Harbaugh than he did with Singletary. He also had a worse 3rd down and Red Zone percentages with Harbaugh than he did under Singletary. How the fuck is that "improved so much"? Even if you don't look at the raw numbers, he still displayed little control of the LOS, still didn't take many chances with the football, and still broke down consistently when he was asked to create on his own. All hallmarks of a stopgap QB that's not fit to be a consistent starter in the NFL. I have no idea why that's so hard for you to admit.

It is a ridiculous hypethotical. 18 INTs would put Kaepernick in the top-5 in INTs. Do you think that's possible when he's not gonna be asked to pass the ball more than 28 times per game? All of the guys that were top-5 in INTs in 2011 averaged more than 35 attempts per game.

I love how you simplified it to simply saying that both Alex and CK are "good" at running the football. Kaepernick ran for 1000+ yards each of his last 3 years at Nevada. In 2010 he had 20 rushing TDs, in 2009 he had 16, and in 2008 he had 17. He also ran a faster 40 than both Cam Newton and Jake Locker at the combine, who are both much bigger running threats than Alex ever was. Sorry, but as a runner CK is gonna be in a completely different class than Alex.

So you're holding playing in the WAC against CK? Playing in the MWC hasn't deterred you from climbing all over Alex's nuts.

Ahhh...climbing over his nuts, huh...that's mature...f-bombs too, if someone defends Smith you believe only what your preconceived notions allow...nothing less...

Where did I EVER exaggerate his improvement? I have consistently said HE has improved, but I have never said he had a great season or even a good season, he had a decent season, but a huge improvement for himself...why is that so hard for you grasp? Because you want the argument to look like I'm exaggerating about Smith. Its more than turnovers and you know it...

The team had a problem in the redzone and 3rd down, not just Alex...didn't work when we ran it, didn't work when passed it. When we crossed the 50 the entire offense would sputter.

How does he put together these comebacks if he can't do those things beyond "raw numbers". Here's a guy who passes better when he rolls out than in the pocket and he was always better under pressure when we were losing and had to get it done. He could've folded against NOLA but didn't that 4th quarter he did a good job, I think he can do that consistently if the we start passing more.

Yes...I simplified the running argument, are you suggesting that he be used like Tebow? My point was on the occassions Smith ran he was good, CK based on college performance may do better on those occassions.

I don't and you don't know how many pass attempts he will have. But Cam Newton the #1 draft choice attempted 32 passes per game and threw 17 INTs along with his 21 TDs...its not ridiculous at all to think that CK could throw 18 INTs, especially after his pre-season performance which is all we have to judge him on. Michael Vick attempted fewer than 28 passes per game and he threw 14 INTs and only 18 TDs...Colt McCoy, Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, Carson Palmer...none of them rookies, passed 28 or less times per game, all close to 18 INTs worse yet they had less than 16 TDs. One thing is sure the TD/INT ratio will be a net loss (significantly) with CK and that was a key factor in our playoff appearance (that and being in the NFC West)...

The WAC comment... I'll just ask you to read that again I clearly said I was not making an issue of it, just expressing
a concern

The MWC is a better conference, much better...difference of conferences and caliber of competition...ask SEC fans if that matters, its not a central point just a concern about the competition he's faced in the WAC.

I've also said on multiple occasions if Kap beats Smith out for the starting job then GREAT! We have the better of the two options...but you fly past that...I'm I still "climbing over his nuts"?

I'm not concerned what happens, I believe in competition at all positions...If he's not the better QB then he won't be starting and you can say I told you so to me and all those that think he's better than CK...right now...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it out of the realm of possiblity we've seen his best and that this won't be his "breakout" year?

nothing is out of the realm of possibility. it can usually takes qb's 4 or 5 years to reach their prime. that's without losing a year and a half with an injury.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're pretty good at taking one part of a past and making it seem more thn it is. All he said was that kap was ready to be babied by Harbaugh the same way Alex was last year. no one is saying kap is ready to take the league by storm.

Actually you did. You said CK would put up 29 tds 12-14 ints 4000 yards. That would put him in the top 5.... Better than everyone except the elite QBs. That's just pie-in-the-sky not gonna happen delusional.

I would love to see CK put those numbers up, but no one can reasonably expect that kind of output. I think you are deluding yourself into this idea because - despite your claims to the contrary - you are full-on-cazic about Alex as much as some people here are full-on-anti-cazic in support of him.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only adjustment I would make is that this is turnover differential, which is impacted by the turnovers your defense creates as well as fumbles.

If you want to look at the impact pass attempts has on INT, then just look at INT - not TO differential.

I think the rate of INT would be more closely linked to how far a pass travels in the air (not yards per attempt as we know it now, but the average distance a pass travels in the air, accounting for yards traveled by incompletions and discounting for YAC.

I want to look at the impact of turnovers have on pass attempts. DO turnovers = more pass attempts. I think to get a better gauge of this, I would have to look at individual games.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you did. You said CK would put up 29 tds 12-14 ints 4000 yards. That would put him in the top 5.... Better than everyone except the elite QBs. That's just pie-in-the-sky not gonna happen delusional.

I would love to see CK put those numbers up, but no one can reasonably expect that kind of output. I think you are deluding yourself into this idea because - despite your claims to the contrary - you are full-on-cazic about Alex as much as some people here are full-on-anti-cazic in support of him.

29 TDs would put him somewhere around #10. So would 14 INTs. 3,800 yards would put him around 12th. Not really taking the league my storm. Cam Newton was 10th in yards, Flacco was 12th, Freeman was 13th, Hasselbeck was 14th, Dalton was 16th. It's not unfathomable that he can put up as much yards as those guys. And it's just a projection, as 30 yards per game makes a big difference in the overall rankings.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh...climbing over his nuts, huh...that's mature...f-bombs too, if someone defends Smith you believe only what your preconceived notions allow...nothing less...

Where did I EVER exaggerate his improvement? I have consistently said HE has improved, but I have never said he had a great season or even a good season, he had a decent season, but a huge improvement for himself...why is that so hard for you grasp? Because you want the argument to look like I'm exaggerating about Smith. Its more than turnovers and you know it...

The team had a problem in the redzone and 3rd down, not just Alex...didn't work when we ran it, didn't work when passed it. When we crossed the 50 the entire offense would sputter.

How does he put together these comebacks if he can't do those things beyond "raw numbers". Here's a guy who passes better when he rolls out than in the pocket and he was always better under pressure when we were losing and had to get it done. He could've folded against NOLA but didn't that 4th quarter he did a good job, I think he can do that consistently if the we start passing more.

Yes...I simplified the running argument, are you suggesting that he be used like Tebow? My point was on the occassions Smith ran he was good, CK based on college performance may do better on those occassions.

I don't and you don't know how many pass attempts he will have. But Cam Newton the #1 draft choice attempted 32 passes per game and threw 17 INTs along with his 21 TDs...its not ridiculous at all to think that CK could throw 18 INTs, especially after his pre-season performance which is all we have to judge him on. Michael Vick attempted fewer than 28 passes per game and he threw 14 INTs and only 18 TDs...Colt McCoy, Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, Carson Palmer...none of them rookies, passed 28 or less times per game, all close to 18 INTs worse yet they had less than 16 TDs. One thing is sure the TD/INT ratio will be a net loss (significantly) with CK and that was a key factor in our playoff appearance (that and being in the NFC West)...

The WAC comment... I'll just ask you to read that again I clearly said I was not making an issue of it, just expressing

The MWC is a better conference, much better...difference of conferences and caliber of competition...ask SEC fans if that matters, its not a central point just a concern about the competition he's faced in the WAC.

I've also said on multiple occasions if Kap beats Smith out for the starting job then GREAT! We have the better of the two options...but you fly past that...I'm I still "climbing over his nuts"?

I'm not concerned what happens, I believe in competition at all positions...If he's not the better QB then he won't be starting and you can say I told you so to me and all those that think he's better than CK...right now...

I'm a Lobos fan, and before Boise State moved to the MWC, I wouldn't have agreed with that. TCU and Utah had three GREAT seasons. So did Boise State as reps of the WAC. Hawaii had an awesome run with Colt Brennan.

I still don't like this argument. Neither do Rice, Owens, Moss, Young...

...we could do this all day on both sides of the aisle. I don't like the "Small schools from small conferences can't produce NFL talent," argument.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taking a break from answering anybody in this post. I absolutely love that cazic is the benchmark for "YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!!!" no matter who says what, about whom, or indicative of anything in particular.

Carry on. Here's a llama: :llama: