• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Westbrook the most gifted guard in NBA history ?..

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of Westbrook and what he's doing. Unlike some who think he's a stat stuffer, I think he's doing exactly what the Thunder need him to do to win.

Been watching the NBA since 1970 and he's the most athletically gifted guard I've ever seen. But he's not the best guard I've ever seen.

Read my last post, it shows just how correct you are.
Except he well might be the best guard ever value wise.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athleticism wise, I don't think we have seen a guard with his quickness, jumping ablity and just athleticism. He is a pure scorer but he has expanded his game, I still can't put him as most gifted or honestly anywhere close.

The Big O averaged 30+ ppg 6 times and 10+ apg 5 times.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athleticism wise, I don't think we have seen a guard with his quickness, jumping ablity and just athleticism. He is a pure scorer but he has expanded his game, I still can't put him as most gifted or honestly anywhere close.

The Big O averaged 30+ ppg 6 times and 10+ apg 5 times.

Big Oscar was a pedestrian offensive player. He usually just used his size to back smaller guards toward the basket with his back, then turned around and banked it from short distance. I just don't see his offense being very effective in today's game. He wouldn't have the physical advantages he had then against today's players.
I see him as a 20 pt scorer in today's NBA.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Oscar was a pedestrian offensive player. He usually just used his size to back smaller guards toward the basket with his back, then turned around and banked it from short distance. I just don't see his offense being very effective in today's game. He wouldn't have the physical advantages he had then against today's players.

:L :L :L

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that's some well considered retort, 3 whole facepalms.

It's not worth it man. I could write out a full-page why Oscar was a top 2 PG and why Westbrook is not close to Oscar. You have your opinion, most would disagree.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is Oscar had 7 or 8 great/unbelievable seasons. Westbrook has 1. Slow down buddy

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not worth it man. I could write out a full-page why Oscar was a top 2 PG and why Westbrook is not close to Oscar. You have your opinion, most would disagree.

You understand the difference between most gifted and best...right?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You understand the difference between most gifted and best...right?

I have already said RW is the most athletic PG we have ever seen but seems like he is arguing he is or could be the best. IMO he isn't, could he? Who knows. Like you said, he is doing what the Thunder need him to do. Doesn't help if it doesn't win you anything.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already said RW is the most athletic PG we have ever seen but seems like he is arguing he is or could be the best. IMO he isn't. Like you said, he is doing what the Thunder need him to do. Doesn't help if it doesn't win you anything.

I'm pretty sure OP's premise is that he's the most athletically gifted (at least that's how I took it). Not that he's the best.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

laughingsmiley.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure OP's premise is that he's the most athletically gifted (at least that's how I took it). Not that he's the best.

Well going by some of the comments he also thinks he is the best. Oscar is a "pedestrian scorer". I will not comment on that, so I will leave it at that lol

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a cop out.
You're saying, you're right, I'm wrong and most would agree with you.
That is lazy stuff.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Make sure to explain in detail though. And no less than 2 pages.

Or do as I have to my case for Westbrook, use concise points.
I do believe some players from that era would translate to this era, Jerry West might be even more suited to today's game than to his era. He was a fantastic all court offensive talent who was far quicker than Oscar and most other players of his era. He had easy 2017 3 pt shot range, he could get his own shot, pass it, he had ungodly length and court vision. I'd give Oscar an offensive capability of 7 in today's game, I'd give West a 9.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well going by some of the comments he also thinks he is the best. Oscar is a "pedestrian scorer". I will not comment on that, so I will leave it at that lol

Do tell, why not elaborate ?
Oscar had excellent coordination ,but he was not that quick. He was closer to Magic in athleticism, but he wasn't the all court PG Magic was.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or do as I have to my case for Westbrook, use concise points.
I do believe some players from that era would translate to this era, Jerry West might be even more suited to today's game than to his era. He was a fantastic all court offensive talent who was far quicker than Oscar and most other players of his era. He had easy 2017 3 pt shot range, he could get his own shot, pass it, he had ungodly length and court vision. I'd give Oscar an offensive capability of 7 in today's game, I'd give West a 9.

The Big O would do just fine in todays NBA. No doubt The Logo was a great player & as you said an offensive talent. But the same can be said about Robertson as well. West finished w/ the better scoring average 27.0 to 25.7 but Robertson averaged 30+ ppg more times than West did 6 to 4.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do tell, why not elaborate ?
Oscar had excellent coordination ,but he was not that quick. He was closer to Magic in athleticism, but he wasn't the all court PG Magic was.

I have already said RW is the most athletic PG we have ever seen, in these times that is expected. If Oscar was playing now I would venture to say things would be different. Him being a big, stronger guard doesn't take anything away from his scoring ability bc he was one of the greatest scoring guards of all-time.