• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Stanford the best 1 loss team in America?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana, Youngstown State, Western Michigan, and Notre Dame all scored double digits against MSU. I'd venture to say Baylor's offense might be better than an all-star team made up of offensive players from those 4 rosters.

IU - 351 total yds., 259 passing, 92 rushing
YS - 172 total, 121 passing, 51 rushing
WM - 204 total, 193 passing, 11 rushing
ND - 220 total, 142 passing, 78 rushing

Not too shabby really, regardless of the pts. ND is still in the top 25 and YS is 8-1.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats insane dude, MSU is #1 in total D by ALOT, number 1 in rush D by even MORE ( they give up 43 ypg on the ground that as far ahead of second place as the 2nd place team is the 19th ranked rush defense). They are 3rd in scoring defense but that doesnt count the 3 ST and defensive TDs other teams have scored against them. If it did their D would only be giving up about 6 points a game. MSU is the real deal on defense and far and away the best D in the country ( sorry Stanford ). Now if you want to tell me you arent sold on their offense then thats cool because I could see that.

sorry but i'd take alabama's defense over michigan state's and it isn't even close.

michigan state's defense is good. maybe even really good. but good lord look at the competition they have faced. i've seen alabama can give up 600+ yards to manziel & aTm and i definitely haven't seen anything out of michigan state

there are several defenses that have been just as dominant against their lesser gifted opponents. i mean look at what alabama conceded to ole miss... a team that might be better than anyone michigan state has played. stanford did a pretty good job of shutting down oregon's high powered offense for over 3 quarters. that's better than anything i've seen michigan state do, including their lockdown of michigan's run game.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without an unprecedented officiating fuck-up, we would have the best road win of any of these teams.
You should really let this go ...

First, it isn't unprecedented ... there are many examples of officials screwing up and costing teams games.

Second, UGa got equally screwed in the Vanderbilt game. That loss will likely keep us from winning the East and going the SECCG. Have you heard one peep out of any of us? Maybe a little bitching in the game thread, but none after that. It's over and it is what it is.

Move on.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys don't want to argue facts, just say so. These are lame cop-outs. There's an extensive record of me saying that head-to-head is overrated on this site, dating back to long before we played ASU. There is also an extensive record of we criticizing Stanford last year. On top of that, there is an extensive record of me picking the 2012 Oregon (ie the team that beat us in the Rose Bowl) to win the title. In fact, I normally get accused of the opposite by building up the teams that we lost to.

so, because you say so, we are suppose to overlook head to head?

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IU - 351 total yds., 259 passing, 92 rushing
YS - 172 total, 121 passing, 51 rushing
WM - 204 total, 193 passing, 11 rushing
ND - 220 total, 142 passing, 78 rushing

Not too shabby really, regardless of the pts. ND is still in the top 25 and YS is 8-1.

yeah, michigan state's defense is good but i don't think they hold baylor to 7, or even 17, points. and i think there are a few other teams that might beat them up too.

i'd actually really like to see auburn/michigan state play. i think it'd be a good matchup of a team that can run the ball really well against a team that is supposed to shut that stuff down.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really understanding MSU's hype here. Has anybody seen the god awful schedule they have played? 95% of the teams in this country would either be undefeated or have 1 loss with that schedule and have overrated defensive stats against the shitty teams on MSU's schedule.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but i'd take alabama's defense over michigan state's and it isn't even close.

michigan state's defense is good. maybe even really good. but good lord look at the competition they have faced. i've seen alabama can give up 600+ yards to manziel & aTm and i definitely haven't seen anything out of michigan state

there are several defenses that have been just as dominant against their lesser gifted opponents. i mean look at what alabama conceded to ole miss... a team that might be better than anyone michigan state has played. stanford did a pretty good job of shutting down oregon's high powered offense for over 3 quarters. that's better than anything i've seen michigan state do, including their lockdown of michigan's run game.

No there isnt. Its not close. As to level of competition you have a point but Bama had 42 points dropped on them by the only elite offense theyve played. ONLY D Id consider even close to MSU's level is Stanfords and they arent even that close.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are the best one loss team, but in college football the best resume is what matters, not who you perceive is the best team.[/QUOTE]

???? Um hell no it isnt. CFB is the ONLY sport where perception overrules reality. If resume mattered FSU would be number 1 by a ton right now. If resume mattered Alabama wouldnt have been in the title game in 2011 OK State would have etc etc. CFB is all about perception.

:nod:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really understanding MSU's hype here. Has anybody seen the god awful schedule they have played? 95% of the teams in this country would either be undefeated or have 1 loss with that schedule and have overrated defensive stats against the shitty teams on MSU's schedule.

Lol I'm guessing you haven't watched them play this season.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there isnt. Its not close. As to level of competition you have a point but Bama had 42 points dropped on them by the only elite offense theyve played. ONLY D Id consider even close to MSU's level is Stanfords and they arent even that close.

um, yes there is.

alabama. ole miss scored 44 on texas; ole miss is not some garbage team. ole miss scored 0 on alabama. look at the other games where alabama surrendered basically nothing (certainly by starters). virginia tech, kentucky, ole miss, arkansas, etc. and yeah, there aren't any great teams on that list, but there aren't any great teams on michigan state's schedule period. and against these kinds of teams, alabama has been much more dominant than michigan state. and it isn't close.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it was a ball game, it's a game played with a ball. Your problem is understanding how it became one. Stanford punished Oregon. Period.

Oregon got lucky with the breaks in the end to make it resemble a game. They didnt dominate anything.

They were dominated.

They got a field goal block and an onside kick, you are kidding right. Offense was still not impressive, defense did step up and stop em, but they were due for some stops they were running it down their throats.

I am going to merge these two and try one more time with my reasoning.

There is no question that Stanford dominated the first 3.5 quarters of the game. That got them a 26-0 lead. There is no question that Oregon dominated the last .5 quarters of the game that got them to within an onside kick to drive for a potential winning TD. Could they had done it? Who knows, but a game is 60 minutes, not 54 minutes. It's one thing to say that the score is not indicative when a team puts their scrubs in and the other team scores some points. That isn't what happened last night.

As to lucky breaks, a blocked field goal, and an onside kick ... the last I checked all of those are part of football. Oregon executed on those plays and Stanford didn't. And, it almost cost them. If you want to point at that luck, how about we point at the stupidity of Oregon not getting 3 on the board at the beginning of the game, and then the lack of luck - to use your logic - of fumbling within the 5 yard line.

Last time ... it was not a good night for Oregon. Stanford dominated them for most of the game. But if you weren't concerned that the game was in doubt the last few minutes, I think you would be in the minority. I am sure that the Stanford fans and team were glad to see the onside kick get fielded.

Say what you want ... I've made my point as best I can.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are the best one loss team, but in college football the best resume is what matters, not who you perceive is the best team.[/QUOTE]

???? Um hell no it isnt. CFB is the ONLY sport where perception overrules reality. If resume mattered FSU would be number 1 by a ton right now. If resume mattered Alabama wouldnt have been in the title game in 2011 OK State would have etc etc. CFB is all about perception.

I understand where you are coming from, but a loss to Utah isn't the same as a loss to LSU. When it gets down to it, if you are picking between Stanford and a loss to Iowa or Missou and a loss to SC in a game their QB was hurt, who would you pick?

And I'm saying this as someone who would love to see Stanford vs a Big time SEC school or FSU.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me repeat the facts here on the D front. MSU gives up 43 ypg on the ground. 2nd place team gives up 80 which means MSU is further ahead of the 2nd ranked rush defense than the 2nd place team is ahead of the 19th! ranked rush D. MSU is almost 40 ypg ahead of the second place D in total ypg allowed ( or a full 20% better than the next closest D), MSU has given up 5 offensive TD's in 9 games which is 2 ahead of any other team in the country. Now you can point to the schedule and thats fair but MSU's D has DOMINATED at a higher level than any other team in the country. Thats indisputable per the facts. Do I think theyd hold A&M, Baylor, Oregon etc to 7-10 points?? NO. However they wouldnt be giving up 42 like Bama did either.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, yes there is.

alabama. ole miss scored 44 on texas; ole miss is not some garbage team. ole miss scored 0 on alabama. look at the other games where alabama surrendered basically nothing (certainly by starters). virginia tech, kentucky, ole miss, arkansas, etc. and yeah, there aren't any great teams on that list, but there aren't any great teams on michigan state's schedule period. and against these kinds of teams, alabama has been much more dominant than michigan state. and it isn't close.

Dude you are out of it. Texas's D sucked when they layed Ole Miss first off and you lose all credibility when you say Bamas D has been more dominant than MSU's. The stats say otherwise. BTW LOL at an Iowa fan sticking up for MSU and an Auburn fan sticking up for Bama. We should be permabanned just for doing that :suds:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I'm guessing you haven't watched them play this season.

Eh, I saw them lose to a below average Notre Dame team. Haven't seen them since. The teams they have played on their schedule so far have an overall combined losing record. Kind of the same hype I didn't understand B1G fans giving N'western. You people are an odd bunch when it comes to desperately trying to pimp out the average to below average teams in your conference.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or he has and just doesn't think they are that good. like a lot of people.

You've made your biases clear, you consistently suck off your biggest "rival" and diss B1G teams at every turn...

Why I've not ignored you yet is beyond me...

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I saw them lose to a below average Notre Dame team. Haven't seen them since. The teams they have played on their schedule so far have an overall combined losing record. Kind of the same hype I didn't understand B1G fans giving N'western. You people are an odd bunch when it comes to desperately trying to pimp out the average to below average teams in your conference.

Sigh... stop lumping us all together please...

MSU has a legit defense that has gotten a lot better as the year has gone on... are they world beaters? No... but they have one of the stingiest defenses in the country...

Also, I'd like to see any top teams that have played teams with a combined winning record so far... I'd be there aren't many...

But you're entitled to your opinion I suppose...