• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Stanford the best 1 loss team in America?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think Oregon could win a rematch? Maybe 5 out of 10? :noidea:

What about Michigan State?

Maybe Oregon could. But Stanford did just beat them pretty convincingly.

As for MSU, I don't even think they are close to the level of Stanford. What have they done other than beat an average Michigan team.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ me. I thought he was talkin' about Clemson. :L

He might have been, bit i wanted to help your thread by weighing in my two cents:2cents:

Clemson has been here before and they always seem to find that one win each year that is not on the books.
Dont feel bad, it happens to the best of teams(Bama) as going undefeated is a hard thing to do.

Eye test says the best might be Stanford, but then they do have that one ugly loss to the Utes, so who really knows. All i know is with a defense like Stanford has and that O-line, they could beat a lot of teams out there.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe i'm missing something, but i'm not sure why Stanford's six-point home win where Oregon's offense failed to score three times when they were inside the ten is proof thy are better than Oregon. It definitely shows they can play with Oregon and a good team, but if two teams are equal they should win at home.

I've said it before, but I have never understood relying on non-neutral site head to heads. You are deciding who you think is better largely on the basis of a schedule. This rivalry has been an exception the last two years, but there are tons of examples to show the trend.

because, head to head, Stanford won. PERIOD. I don't care where they play. "To be the best you gotta beat the best."

this home or away or neutral site stuff is just an excuse.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loss v utah or loss v the current #2 team? Thats just the tip of the argument iceburg.

And Stanford has the best collection of wins out of any team in the country.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have been, bit i wanted to help your thread by weighing in my two cents:2cents:

Clemson has been here before and they always seem to find that one win each year that is not on the books.
Dont feel bad, it happens to the best of teams(Bama) as going undefeated is a hard thing to do.

Eye test says the best might be Stanford, but then they do have that one ugly loss to the Utes, so who really knows. All i know is with a defense like Stanford has and that O-line, they could beat a lot of teams out there.

I tend to agree with Stanford being the best 1 loss team right now. I don't think we could play with them, Oregon, or possibly Mich State.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to clemson, lol.

But now that you pointed it out, hmmm....

Sorry, but I just wanted to weigh in. On the bright side, Miami is where they havent been in a while, and with this coach, i think you guys are going to stick around for a while.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has a great win, but they have one of the worst losses, and have done nothing on the road. They also got outgained by 200 yards at home against a terrible Washington team.

If Franklin returns seamlessly, it's hard not to consider a Mizzou team which has blown out everybody as better than them. Oregon, Clemson, Miami, and Wisconsin all have cases as well. Three of those four were more impressive than Stanford in their wins, and all of them have a much better loss.

Wisky not a 1 loss team :cornfused:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Oregon could. But Stanford did just beat them pretty convincingly.

As for MSU, I don't even think they are close to the level of Stanford. What have they done other than beat an average Michigan team.

I hear ya. Just throwing it against the wall to see if it would stick.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe i'm missing something, but i'm not sure why Stanford's six-point home win where Oregon's offense failed to score three times when they were inside the ten is proof thy are better than Oregon. It definitely shows they can play with Oregon and a good team, but if two teams are equal they should win at home.

I've said it before, but I have never understood relying on non-neutral site head to heads. You are deciding who you think is better largely on the basis of a schedule. This rivalry has been an exception the last two years, but there are tons of examples to show the trend.

But, stanford straight up dominated that game. Score not indicative.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not always true. Bama was clearly the better team over LSU in 2011, but they played tentative and did not live up to their potential. The oh so hated "rematch" showed that Bama was the best team. Sometimes the ball bounces funny. When rivals meet, records go out the window. Some teams know this, others are still learning this and apparently Oregon truly overlooked this Stanford team thinking they were just better. Press Clippings will kill a team every time.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because, head to head, Stanford won. PERIOD. I don't care where they play. "To be the best you gotta beat the best."

this home or away or neutral site stuff is just an excuse.

That's not an argument. Why does a six-point home win prove they are better? Would a change in the location of the game change which team is better? It's the same players and coaches. And why doesn't the same logic make Utah better than Stanford?

When you rely on individual games that aren't beatdowns, you run into the Catch-22 of inconsistent results dictated largely by where teams play. The only consistent way to rank teams properly is by ranking teams based on the totality of their resume.

Of course, the win over Oregon greatly enhances their resume. But we are talking about a team whose only road wins are a 14 point win over Army and a goal-line stand over Oregon State (the same team that got killed at home by USC last week). They were largely outplayed by Washington. Their offense really struggled against UCLA. And, of course, they have the loss at Utah.

I'm sorry, but i'm not sold the whole resume says they are better than Oregon. That would change if they beatdown USC on the road, but i'm not there yet.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not an argument. Why does a six-point home win prove they are better? Would a change in the location of the game change which team is better? It's the same players and coaches. And why doesn't the same logic make Utah better than Stanford?

When you rely on individual games that aren't beatdowns, you run into the Catch-22 of inconsistent results dictated largely by where teams play. The only consistent way to rank teams properly is by ranking teams based on the totality of their resume.

Of course, the win over Oregon greatly enhances their resume. But we are talking about a team whose only road wins are a 14 point win over Army and a goal-line stand over Oregon State (the same team that got killed at home by USC last week). They were largely outplayed by Washington. Their offense really struggled against UCLA. And, of course, they have the loss at Utah.

I'm sorry, but i'm not sold the whole resume says they are better than Oregon. That would change if they beatdown USC on the road, but i'm not there yet.

:wtf:

then why play the game?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly it's Michigan.....oh wait, we have two losses and we suck.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

then why play the game?

Because there's a 12-game season and with a sample size that big, you can properly rank teams?

You do realize that college football is the only major sport where final rankings are dictated by this "head-to-head is everything" fallacy, right? It's not like I am advocating some unknown or untested idea.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has beaten ASU, Washington, UCLA and Oregon St, and Oregon.

Oregon has beaten Washington and UCLA.

Tell me who's resume is better?