• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Scheffler on his way out?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last preseason game versus the Browns Scheffler was on the field for three snaps! Which by itself is not that amazing in the preseason when you have a competitive position battle, as the Lions do at TE. Or when the coaching staff is protecting a player from injury which seems to be the case with Louis Delmas.

But the interesting side note on Scheffler's lack of playing time is the fact Rookie Fauria has been getting snaps with the first team unit. Plus he has seen his work load increased in the preseason.

Scheffler has been an average player with Detroit and I would say he has never lived up to the billing most Lion fans had hoped for, although that is partially Lion fans fault IMO.

With a tight salary cap and Fauria looking like a huge red zone target is Scheffler expendable? Although most Lion fans think he has trade value in the bargain shopping that is cut down day could the Lions just part ways?

IMO if Fauria looks like he can handle the Scheffler role go with the cheaper younger player!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this too. I was surprised. Maybe he just doesn't have anything left in the tank at this point in his career.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of some flashes I think he has gotten more hometown love than he deserved.

His numbers would not even been as good as they were if Detroit's wide outs had stayed healthy. Scheffler filled the slot as a poor mans Gronk, Graham, and Hernandez but I always thought he was a reach and not athletic enough to handle the slot.

Maybe if he was more a traditional H-Back guy he would have greater value.

I have no doubt if he is waived he will catch on with another team in about 1 minute.

I would not cry over his getting cut though...maybe it's time for him to move on.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of some flashes I think he has gotten more hometown love than he deserved.
Smit-tay sure isn't giving him any.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played well his first year. Last year was not pretty, he was all over the place. We will know more tonight. Game 3 will usually tell you who will start.

We could also save a few buck by cutting him. TE is not as important as it was in the more verticle offense we had prior to this year

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think TE is important in todays game as it creates mismatches. Hard for a normal DB to cover a TE thats athletic, big, and fast.

The problem as I see it is Scheff is large slow and has trouble creating distance. He fits a role most definitely but if the Lions have a younger cheaper guy it really is a no brainer.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I'd trade Scheffler for a case of Hi-C orange in a can and a pound of peppered beef jerky.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working in Scheff's favor is that he's by far our fastest TE and the only one we got who has the speed to stretch the seam...

rd27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With how Fauria has been performing, and a lack thereof by our WR's not named Johnson, how does a trade of Scheffler to the Raiders for Denarious Moore sound? I know Moore was benched last season, but he's a capable deep threat that honestly could just need a change of scenery. It makes sense to have a TE vs a deep threat WR for a noodle-armed Matt Flynn.

WMU1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Williams' broken hand it is a no-brainer...Scheffler stays.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Williams breaking his hand is a good thing for Scheffler. As Williams is pretty much a blocking TE and by his being hurt the Lions will need to have another blocking TE on the roster until he gets off IR. It is possible he goes IR to practice squad but Scheff isn't going to fill the hole as a blocking TE.

Fauria continues to get first team reps and looks like he has great hands. He will not clear waivers to make the practice squad...IMO...so one TE less would be my guess.

The coaching staff sees Scheffler as a slot type guy and with Broyles healthy he would be the guy they use to stretch the field from the slot....not that he is a speed merchant but does have fair speed.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams and Scheffler aren't really asked to do the same things. Fauria definitely showed well last night...