• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Pete Carroll the right man for the job

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really going to knock the guy for his SECOND total NFL Fumble?

First off He is averaging over 4 yards per carry, thats a plus even though it's only 4.2 but you know who else averaged around 4.2 YPC for his whole career? Marshawn Lynch.

The Issue is they don't run enough period. The Team has ran the ball a TOTAL of 33 times in 2 games or 16.5 carries per game. 8 of those are Geno runs so only 25 times total for 2 games for the Running backs OR 12.5 carries per game that's it. How is anyone supposed to do anything let alone be "consistent" when they are not getting the ball? 18 Rushes for 75 yards is good but because it was in 2 games it's not. His production is fine his chances to produce is the issue.

On the other hand the Hawks have THROWN the ball 59 times... almost 2 to 1 passing. That won't help any running backs stats. He has had 2 bigger runs called back also because of Penalties. He would be over 100 yards on like 20 carries if they hadn't and i am fine with that production. They need to use the running game MORE!
He just doesn't like Penny because he was against drafting him

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you guys this, Sean Payton is wanting to come back to coaching in 2023. Would you like HIM as a HC?

How I look at it is this, If Wilson was still here and Pete was gone I wouldn't mind Payton as a HC but I wouldn't take him OVER Pete Carroll.

Quinn? His first stint as a HC wasn't all that good but neither was Pete Carroll's, Would you be interested?

I just want some names from people that want Pete gone because I am curious.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you guys this, Sean Payton is wanting to come back to coaching in 2023. Would you like HIM as a HC?

How I look at it is this, If Wilson was still here and Pete was gone I wouldn't mind Payton as a HC but I wouldn't take him OVER Pete Carroll.

Quinn? His first stint as a HC wasn't all that good but neither was Pete Carroll's, Would you be interested?

Would I want Payton as HC in 2023? No. He is a interesting candidate but pass in 2023.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really going to knock the guy for his SECOND total NFL Fumble?

In this case yes, it was horrible ball security.

First off He is averaging over 4 yards per carry, thats a plus even though it's only 4.2 but you know who else averaged around 4.2 YPC for his whole career? Marshawn Lynch.

Ridiculous comparison and you know it.

The Issue is they don't run enough period. The Team has ran the ball a TOTAL of 33 times in 2 games or 16.5 carries per game. 8 of those are Geno runs so only 25 times total for 2 games for the Running backs OR 12.5 carries per game that's it. How is anyone supposed to do anything let alone be "consistent" when they are not getting the ball? 18 Rushes for 75 yards is good but because it was in 2 games it's not. His production is fine his chances to produce is the issue.

On the other hand the Hawks have THROWN the ball 59 times... almost 2 to 1 passing. That won't help any running backs stats. He has had 2 bigger runs called back also because of Penalties. He would be over 100 yards on like 20 carries if they hadn't and i am fine with that production. They need to use the running game MORE!

I wont disagree, they should be running more. I just dont think penny is the right back for this offense. I don't know if that back is on the team.

Even with his inconsistent usage, penny has shown shockingly consistent return rates on his usage.

He has been wildly inconsistent his whole career and missed what feels like 90% of it.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wont disagree, they should be running more. I just dont think penny is the right back for this offense. I don't know if that back is on the team.

He has been wildly inconsistent his whole career and missed what feels like 90% of it.
Meh he's a "for now" player don't sweat it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't be angry with Payton but I would much prefer a young offensive minded coach. Dabol would have been a cool choice had we go rid of Carroll this past offseason.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton is under contract until 2025, so he could be a candidate after Carroll retires. not before then.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes the ball security was bad on that play and THANKFULLY it rarely ever happens with Penny so his excellent ball security for his career shouldn't be ignored.

It was NOT a ridiculous comparison as it was based off of facts. You can ignore it to help you sleep at night but there was nothing ridiculous about it. Penny is not Lynch never said he was I was pointing out that He has been doing fine and is productive when given the chance but you want to ignore it.

Your last point brings up how he has been wildly inconsistent in his career.. No he has been Wildly injured but when he has been healthy and on the field he has been consistent. I agree it feel like he has missed 90% of the games because of injury but he has been pretty darn good in that other 10% lol ( I would still take Chubb over him in a heart beat ). There are 3 Quarterbacks right now with more rushing attempts than Penny .. Think about that.

Penny has been a good Running back the issue is he has not been a healthy one and 9 attempts per game even at 4.2 yards per pop will only net you 37.8 YPG. But had he had 25 carries not just 9 he would be looking at 105+ YPG. Penny needs 18 to 20 touches a game not 9

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the ball security was bad on that play and THANKFULLY it rarely ever happens with Penny so his excellent ball security for his career shouldn't be ignored.

It was NOT a ridiculous comparison as it was based off of facts. You can ignore it to help you sleep at night but there was nothing ridiculous about it. Penny is not Lynch never said he was I was pointing out that He has been doing fine and is productive when given the chance but you want to ignore it.

Your last point brings up how he has been wildly inconsistent in his career.. No he has been Wildly injured but when he has been healthy and on the field he has been consistent. I agree it feel like he has missed 90% of the games because of injury but he has been pretty darn good in that other 10% lol ( I would still take Chubb over him in a heart beat ). There are 3 Quarterbacks right now with more rushing attempts than Penny .. Think about that.

Penny has been a good Running back the issue is he has not been a healthy one and 9 attempts per game even at 4.2 yards per pop will only net you 37.8 YPG. But had he had 25 carries not just 9 he would be looking at 105+ YPG. Penny needs 18 to 20 touches a game not 9

Nothing will change his mind because he always needs to be right about everything.

Penny is not the problem. Neither is Walker, although we have no idea if he is good or not yet.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing will change his mind because he always needs to be right about everything.

Penny is not the problem. Neither is Walker, although we have no idea if he is good or not yet.

Not trying to change his mind, Thats impossible as we all have our own opinion even if "They/Them/Us" are in the minority.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton is under contract until 2025, so he could be a candidate after Carroll retires. not before then.
Jerry will buy out the rest of the contract and probably hand over a draft pick. I highly doubt McCarthy survives a month into the off-season.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two fumbles because he has barely played in 5 total seasons.

Youre comparing a career 4.2 average to a 4.2 average on 18 carries. Thats just retarded.

He is soft and inconsistent. He played well last year in the last three games because his career depended on it. He missed time for injuries because he is soft. You want to compare him to lynch, lynch played hurt constantly. I don't trust a player that misses games for weak shit and plays well only when his life is in the balance.

Hes likely to get hurt if he has 25 carries a game

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two fumbles because he has barely played in 5 total seasons.
Penny has 289 carries in his career and 25 receptions for 314 touches and only 2 fumbles. Thats very good.

Youre comparing a career 4.2 average to a 4.2 average on 18 carries. Thats just retarded.

Ok lets look at his CAREER average then lol Penny's Career average is 5.5 YPC on 289 carries. lol

He is soft and inconsistent. He played well last year in the last three games because his career depended on it. He missed time for injuries because he is soft. You want to compare him to lynch, lynch played hurt constantly. I don't trust a player that misses games for weak shit and plays well only when his life is in the balance.

Penny was the Leading Rusher in the NFL over the last 5 games and was not getting touches before then because of "Injury" and NO ONE is saying he isn't injury prone. It was week 13 before he even got more than 10 carries.
Hes likely to get hurt if he has 25 carries a game

No one is denying this as we all know he is a injury prone player, NO ONE said any different and bringing it up to prove someone isn't consistent is incompetent at best when looking at the facts. When he is on the field and gets more than say ten touches he has been consistent. When he is injured he is nothing because he is not playing.

His numbers don't lie, when he is on the field playing and involved in the game plan he regularly does well.

I would give him up in a heartbeat for some other running backs that I am jealous of thats for sure (and they could have been on this team) but his on field production is pretty good. ( When he is on the field )

the only inconsistency is his health

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny has 289 carries in his career and 25 receptions for 314 touches and only 2 fumbles. Thats very good.

I dont think he would maintain that if he had a normal amount of carries for a #1 back.

Ok lets look at his CAREER average then lol Penny's Career average is 5.5 YPC on 289 carries. lol
youre still comparing a small number of carries to a guy who had 2500. hes not maintaining that average through a full career, which at this point he will never have.

Penny was the Leading Rusher in the NFL over the last 5 games and was not getting touches before then because of "Injury" and NO ONE is saying he isn't injury prone. It was week 13 before he even got more than 10 carries.

like I said, his life was in the balance and he suddenly played through some boo boos.

No one is denying this as we all know he is a injury prone player, NO ONE said any different and bringing it up to prove someone isn't consistent is incompetent at best when looking at the facts. When he is on the field and gets more than say ten touches he has been consistent. When he is injured he is nothing because he is not playing.

His numbers don't lie, when he is on the field playing and involved in the game plan he regularly does well.

4 years and he has had just a handful of good games, thats the definition of inconsistent.

I would give him up in a heartbeat for some other running backs that I am jealous of thats for sure (and they could have been on this team) but his on field production is pretty good. ( When he is on the field )

the only inconsistency is his health

wasted a 1st rounder for a guy who has barely played and only showed up when the season was over and his career was on the line.

Its not that I need to be right, I am right about this. I called it a bad pick when they made it and it WAS a bad pick

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf dude you are finding ANY excuse. Sorry but you are hating and I wont go and quote every reply because we all know how easy everything you said is to debunk, Even you. Penny is a good RB that can't stay healthy thats all it is. On the field he is great off the field he is way to often. lol

Even before "Last Seasons ending" he had shown that explosiveness BEFORE. ( Points at his career 5.5 YPC ) He didn't reach that number because of what he did at the end of last season he was over 5 YPC all ready.

Penny = injury prone yes but he is talented.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the carries I see a average production over games. You are not going to have 5 yards a game per carry every game. EVERY running back jumps around 2 to 3 to 5 to 10 lol. So i guess all RB are inconsistent to you.

Say what you mean, Say it! You want a RB that every single time he touches the ball he gets 4.5 yards. Thats what you want and it's impossible. Like i stated when He is involved in the game plan ( 10+ touches ) he does well more often than not. When he touches it 4 to 3 to 1 time a game is all yeah he doesn't do as well ... DUH! haha

Carson was a beast he was just a man of a RB and we all loved him, he kept Penny off the field just as much as Penny's injuries, Not his production lol.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOF WOOF glad I got some "GOOD" football to cheer for so far this season ... GO HUSKIES!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 16 career games that Penny has gotten 20 or more offensive snaps this has been his production:

200 carries - 1220 Yards (6.1 ypc) 10 TDs 17 receptions 126 yards (7.4 ypr) 1 TD 1 Fumble (475 snaps)
6 100-yard rushing performances

12 games with 10 carries or more:

175 carries, 1169 yards (6.7 ypc) 10 TDs 11 Receptions 91 yards (8.3 ypr) 1 TD 1 Fumble (382 Snaps)
6 100-yard performances

6 starts coming into 2022:

94 carries, 690 yards (7.3 ypc) 9 TDs 7 receptions 28 Yards (4.0 ypr) 0 TD 0 fumble (186 snaps)
4 100-yard performances.

My hope with them bringing Penny back and drafting Walker was that they would run Penny until his legs fell off and Walker would be there to step in and pick up the load. I never imagined they'd throw the ball 70% of the time and pine to throw it even more.