• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is KSU coach Snyder in the wrong or in the right?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools would make room. There is too much at stake for them not to. If you guys were desperately thin at linebacker and Fresno had a stud that would help, I'm sure the 3rd string running back or an OL who couldn't get away from the training table if his life depended on it would suddenly realize the value of a Southern Miss education and a spot would magically open. It isn't right but with collegiate free agency it would be the norm.

No they wouldn't. One maybe but nothing more than that. You could never count on getting them so you'd never leave spots open and for the most part transfers want to go close to home.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That I have been 18 is exactly the reason they need the rule. 18 year olds change their minds too easily and need to be made to keep their commitments.

I joined the army when I turned 18. I think these kids got it pretty easy. Nobody seems to care what happens to kids who join the military, they sign a contract and they are expected to keep it.

But yet, kid gets a free ride to college, a much better overall deal and I'm supposed to entertain the idea that they are somehow getting the shaft here?

No way, it's bullshit.

Arent you the same person who defends Saban and Bama, by stating scholarships are only for one year? If a coach is allowed to change their mind about a player on a year to year basis, why wouldn't the athlete have a choice?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime a coach blocks a player from leaving his program, that coach is in the wrong. Then when you double down by saying your making him stay because he keeps failiong drug tests, your definately in the wrong. The only way Snyder might have been right here is if this kid is in trouble and he's trying to keep him around to help him. And that's still a might.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A student pays, the atheletic has lots of resourses dedicated to them.

How is it the same thing in principle?

Not all students pay. An are you really saying a university doesn't have resources dedicated to their students??

Plus how much do said athletes bring in for said school?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to @TrustMeIamRight they come to Alabama because it's in the SEC territory.

Saban being there is why they come, but they commit to Alabama and know that Alabama is dedicated to having everything top notch - including the best coaches available.

Thank you for admitting that.

The athlete commits to the coach not the school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think kids in the military would be given a slap on the wrist after getting caught possessing and using illegal drugs and in possession of a firearm not registered to them?

Yes, you get a slap on the wrist. It's called a 45 day article 15. Which means they cut your pay to almost nothing for 45 days and you have to work an extra 4 or 5 hours every day.

Decent chance you lose some rank.

But they don't kick you out, they don't punish your company, if your company goes into the field - you go too. If your company gets deployed, you go too.

That's how stupid your analogy sounds. It's two different things.
In the military there are consequences. It's not "PC" it's real life consequences.

When I got in trouble while in the military, the military tried to make it go away from the civilian courts and move it to a military court.

Since it was mostly a case of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time and I had no previous record, the DA ended up giving me a diversion instead.

I didn't get in any trouble with the military for it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, they don't commit to the coach, and if they do - they are stupid.

You commit to the school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all students pay. An are you really saying a university doesn't have resources dedicated to their students??

Plus how much do said athletes bring in for said school?

Most students pay.

And I'm saying those students pay for the resources that are dedicated to them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you get a slap on the wrist. It's called a 45 day article 15. Which means they cut your pay to almost nothing for 45 days and you have to work an extra 4 or 5 hours every day.

Decent chance you lose some rank.

But they don't kick you out, they don't punish your company, if your company goes into the field - you go too. If your company gets deployed, you go too.

Btw, the only time I ever saw this type of stuff happen was when people got in trouble for DUI's. Most legal trouble didn't result in these types of punishments from what I saw.

As far as "possession" goes, I'm assuming it would be similiar, but I never saw anyone get in trouble for possession. But if someone failed a piss test, then the above would be the punishment, so I'm assuming that's what would happen.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny, I just now came across this quote from a guy who just comitted to Ohio St this week.

"It was a hard decision," Mitchell said. "It came down to life after football. I felt like I made a 40-year decision instead of a four-year decision by picking Ohio State. I feel like you can't beat their programs for life after football."

Yes, Urban Meyer being the coach is why he went to Ohio St. But he committed to the school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arent you the same person who defends Saban and Bama, by stating scholarships are only for one year? If a coach is allowed to change their mind about a player on a year to year basis, why wouldn't the athlete have a choice?

Because the athelete isn't the one paying for everything.

Very simple.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really don't see how people think these kids are being done wrong with being made to wait a year before playing at another school.

I see people constantly talk about how the "student" part is a joke and that schools don't respect it, and that more emphasis should be made on the student part.

But these schools aren't in anyway restricting their education.

The only thing being restricted is the athletic part. And what's the problem with that?

They get a free education, free housing, free food, free clothing and they also get thousands of dollars now every year in addition to the grants and other things they qualify for.

And I'm supposed to believe these kids are being done wrong because they want to transfer to another school and will have to sit out a year?

1. Hes not making Corey Sutton wait a year to play. He's making him wait a year before he can get a scholarship...he's trying to strong arm him into staying at KSU and claiming it's because he helped him out and didn't bust him for the drug tests and Snyder thinks he owes him and should stay at KSU because of it.

2. The schools are sort of restricting his education. His only option for an education is a JUCO school or K STATE. Very restrictive.

3. The issue isn't he has to sit out a year. The issue is Snyder is not letting him get a scholarship. He won't let him transfer and sit out a year to any school. Sutton gave him a list of 36 schools, none in the Big12 and none on KSUs schedule in the future. Snyder said "you will have to pay your way to any of them" because these schools can't give him a scholarship unless approved by Snyder.

He's not complaining about sitting out, considering that's the rule for all players.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that the same logic? Most college students pay for their classes, and they get to select their classes each semister.

It's apples and potato's.

And as for the rest, they are still allowed to transfer if they really want too. They can go to JuCo for a year and then go through the entire recruiting process again, or they can graduate and then transfer anywhere they want.
To clarify, then do you feel a student on and Academic Scholarship should not be allowed to transfer to another school and receive a scholarship.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's because he helped him out and didn't bust him for the drug tests and Snyder thinks he owes him and should stay at KSU because of it.
This is probably at the heart of the issue.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify, then do you feel a student on and Academic Scholarship should not be allowed to transfer to another school and receive a scholarship.

Now you are talking about people who would only transfer specifically for academic reasons, not football/athetletic reasons.

So if you have a better academic opportunity, then why not?

That's pretty much the reason why graduate transfers do not have to sit a year. They show they want to change schools for a program the other school doesn't offer, and they get the graduate waiver.

Academic reasons are treated differently than athletic reasons, as they should.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Hes not making Corey Sutton wait a year to play. He's making him wait a year before he can get a scholarship...he's trying to strong arm him into staying at KSU and claiming it's because he helped him out and didn't bust him for the drug tests and Snyder thinks he owes him and should stay at KSU because of it.

2. The schools are sort of restricting his education. His only option for an education is a JUCO school or K STATE. Very restrictive.

3. The issue isn't he has to sit out a year. The issue is Snyder is not letting him get a scholarship. He won't let him transfer and sit out a year to any school. Sutton gave him a list of 36 schools, none in the Big12 and none on KSUs schedule in the future. Snyder said "you will have to pay your way to any of them" because these schools can't give him a scholarship unless approved by Snyder.

He's not complaining about sitting out, considering that's the rule for all players.

He's being asked for a released, but you act like Snyder is doing things to actively block him. He just isn't granting him a release.

That's the rule for all players, as you say.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's being asked for a released, but you act like Snyder is doing things to actively block him. He just isn't granting him a release.

That's the rule for all players, as you say.

He's asking for a release. It's his only option. Everyone has to ask for a release if they want to go elsewhere and 99.5% of the time the coaches release them to somewhere out of conference and not on their schedule.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's asking for a release. It's his only option. Everyone has to ask for a release if they want to go elsewhere and 99.5% of the time the coaches release them to somewhere out of conference and not on their schedule.

So because some coaches do something to be nice, it's now a requirement of all coaches?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of shitty. I have a ton of respect for Snyder, but this is BS. He takes in a lot of transfers, so it hard to this is not hypocrital.

This.