• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Dwayne Wade Done in Miami?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not 100% sure if you're actually serious or not...

DEAD serious.
If he plays like he did last year, or better (which he should be), which NBA center(s) would fans rather see?

Whats the bet?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about how and when you add them.

One of the interesting thing about the Heat is that they will not have full bird rights on Whiteside when he becomes an UFA next offseason. Meaning they have to keep cap space to sign him to an extension if he goes over the NBA average salary (he will).

Long and short is that the Heat are not in a great spot to take full advantage of the exploding cap. They will be stuck at spending under the cap (as opposed to a lot of teams like the Cav's who will be spending well over it but still well short of the tax threshold).

To get that line up you put up there, the heat would have to renounce the rights on Wade and then get him to come back on a mid-level deal in all likelihood. .

I'm no cap expert, but Andy Ellison is.
The Heat have a plan for themselves and hopefully Wade.
I know it includes Dragic this year, then Whiteside and a FA next year.
How Wade fits in apparently is the issue.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEAD serious.
If he plays like he did last year, or better (which he should be), which NBA center(s) would fans rather see?

Whats the bet?

I'm sorry I can't take advantage of someone with obvious mental issues - no disrespect!

But please, feel free to start a "Hassan Whiteside is an NBA All-Star" topic to see how many people with agree with you!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go where? Cavs and play for 3M?

On paper,the Heat should be solid next year. I'm not saying championship, but certainly solid.
THEN...you let Riley handle the 2016 offseason.

I'll easily take the starting 5 I named over a 32-33 year old James with Love, Kyrie.

Where? Don't laugh, but imo ATL is a good landing spot.

Wade can bump Korver to 6th man where he belongs...Teague, Wade, Milsap, Carroll, Horford would win the SE again and probably get back the East finals.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where? Don't laugh, but imo ATL is a good landing spot.

Wade can bump Korver to 6th man where he belongs...Teague, Wade, Milsap, Carroll, Horford would win the SE again and probably get back the East finals.

That could work quite well actually!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry I can't take advantage of someone with obvious mental issues - no disrespect!

But please, feel free to start a "Hassan Whiteside is an NBA All-Star" topic to see how many people with agree with you!

At first, his production felt like a bizarre blip on the NBA radar. But after posting double-double averages (13.0 points and 10.6 rebounds) in January and doing the same while starting all 11 games he appeared in during February, it's clear Whiteside's output is sustainable.

Last month, Whiteside averaged season highs of 14.5 points, 13.2 rebounds and 2.5 blocks while shooting 61.2 percent from the field and posting eight double-doubles. That string of monstrous outings was punctuated by a 14-point, 24-rebound showing in the Miami Heat's 93-91 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday evening. The 24 rebounds tied a career high, marking the second time in 30 days he pulled down two dozen boards.

According to Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN.com), "Whiteside, who began his career with Sacramento over four years ago, now has three career 20-rebound games, all for Miami this season. The last player to collect 20-or-more rebounds in a game that many times over his first 50 NBA contests was Shaquille O'Neal, who did so six times as a rookie in the 1992-93 season."

And if we judge Whiteside as a starter, he occupies rare air. In 16 starts at center, Miami's man in the middle has averaged 13.4 points, 12.5 rebounds and 2.2 blocks while shooting 60.5 percent from the field.

According to Basketball-Reference.com, here is the list of qualified players averaging at least 13 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks as a starter this season:

As a way to properly evaluate the value Whiteside packs into limited touches, it's worth looking at just how efficient he is when Miami plays through him.

If we narrow the field of nominees down to the three perceived front-runners and Whiteside, the 25-year-old is far and away the most dominant on a possession-by-possession basis.

Despite averaging 15 fewer half-court touches per game than the next-closest candidate, Whiteside is scoring at a rate three times more efficient than Green—and twice as efficient as Butler.

"He gets so close to the basket, and his reach is next to none," Dirk Nowitzki said, according to Bleacher Report's Ethan Skolnick. "He's so long out there, it's incredible. When he's so close to the basket, he just tips it to himself or tips it in. And then he started to make some jump shots today. So, yeah, that's a nice find for sure for Miami."

As Nowitzki mentioned, Whiteside's 7'7'' wingspan (h/tDraftExpress.com) makes him nearly impossible to stop once he seals off defenders in the low-post or slips into a clean lane out of the pick-and-roll.

It's the main reason he ranks No. 5 overall in player efficiency rating behind Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant, according to ESPN.com.

But despite finishing pick-and-rolls at a more efficient rate than DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler, according to Synergy Sports data provided to NBA.com, Whiteside is also a surprisingly steady jump-shooter in doses.

While just over 10 percent of his shots are coming between 10 and 16 feet, those looks are falling at a 52.2 percent clip, per Basketball-Reference.com. For a player built to bludgeon opponents with his raw size and athleticism in the paint, that sort of range is staggering.

Whatever you say, boss..

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he isnt going to get what he wants in Miami, he should just go to a winning team like rumors say lol

Irving
Wade
James
Love
Mozgov or TT or Varajeo

Probably will have to get rid of Varajeo or TT (I would easily keep TT if they could afford him).

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no cap expert, but Andy Ellison is.
The Heat have a plan for themselves and hopefully Wade.
I know it includes Dragic this year, then Whiteside and a FA next year.
How Wade fits in apparently is the issue.

Yeah if the Heat want to add a max player next offseason, sign Whiteside and and Dragic, the only way they can accomplish it would be to renounce the rights on Wade I think because they would need to stay under the cap to do all that. Either that or they would have to clear their entire roster and only have a couple exception contracts and a few rookie deals making up their entire bench.

Miami is just not going to be an attractive option to anyone IMO. Dragic and Bosh are already both past their prime and there isn't anything else there that is all that attractive. It really would have to be beach life in a tax haven that draws the FA to Miami....because the on the court options are going to be infinitely better in 4 or 5 other locations.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he isnt going to get what he wants in Miami, he should just go to a winning team like rumors say lol

Irving
Wade
James
Love
Mozgov or TT or Varajeo

Probably will have to get rid of Varajeo or TT (I would easily keep TT if they could afford him).

I doubt he rides James dick there like Mike Miller.
If he did, it would be pretty funny #Heatlifer.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont know how all that is possible. Whiteside will get his, Dragic max, Wade at least $15, wanting $20. Bosh is at $23 in 2016. Then you take out Deng and put Durant's contract.. another $23.

You are looking at $90 from the starting 5 at least.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont know how all that is possible. Whiteside will get his, Dragic max, Wade at least $15, wanting $20. Bosh is at $23 in 2016. Then you take out Deng and put Durant's contract.. another $23.

You are looking at $90 from the starting 5 at least.
Dragic max value puts him @ something around $21M in 2016 (I'm not sure if he gets full max still).
Bosh $23M
McRoberts $5M (no way Miami can get rid of that deal)
Max FA = $23M
Whitesdie = $16M (probably a little more but not much)

That's $88M without Wade and no other contracts on the books.

The Heat want Wade to pick up his option because they plan on letting him walk next FA after they hopefully replace him with a better, younger player.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dragic max value puts him @ something around $21M in 2016 (I'm not sure if he gets full max still).
Bosh $23M
Max FA = $23M

The Heat want Wade to pick up his option because they plan on letting him walk next FA after they hopefully replace him with a better, younger player.

I undervalued Dragic's and Whiteside's contract. It will come down to Wade, but if they sign him back they wont have enough for a max FA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Wade and the Heat are in a very similar position to the one that the Lakers and Kobe were at 2 years ago when they agreed to Kobe's current contract.

D-Wade IS the Heat, just like Kobe IS the Lakers. Without D-Wade, there is no Lebron and Bosh in Miami, there is no 2006 title, there is no 4 straight trips to the finals and 2 championships. Also, just like Kobe, he makes the Heat A LOT of money just by being on the roster.

So, do they pay him based on what he has meant to the franchise and the revenue he continues to bring to them by being on the roster? Or do they pay him based on his current actual value on the court?

The Lakers chose to pay Kobe based on what he has meant to the franchise, but they were in a different position than the Heat are in. Once the Dwight/Nash deal blew up, they knew they were looking at a couple rough seasons and Kobe would be the reason people would still watch games.

The Heat are in a position where they could challenge for the ECF next year.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosh $23M
Max FA = $23M

New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

Of course they will be able to work with a lot more, with the tax being at 108 but they still have to sign Wade and have a decent bench. With Wade you are looking at 104 at least.
But that is a longshot for the roster to work out like that anyway.
KD will most likely be in OKC or Wash.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they will be able to work with a lot more, with the tax being at 108 but they still have to sign Wade and have a decent bench. With Wade you are looking at 104 at least.
But that is a longshot for the roster to work out like that anyway.
KD will most likely be in OKC or Wash.

Durant is just a wish/hope.
Plenty of nice options.
I know players love to play here.
I'm not sweating it.
Fans here aren't on the "throw the checkbook" at Wade wagon.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Wade and the Heat are in a very similar position to the one that the Lakers and Kobe were at 2 years ago when they agreed to Kobe's current contract.

D-Wade IS the Heat, just like Kobe IS the Lakers. Without D-Wade, there is no Lebron and Bosh in Miami, there is no 2006 title, there is no 4 straight trips to the finals and 2 championships. Also, just like Kobe, he makes the Heat A LOT of money just by being on the roster.

So, do they pay him based on what he has meant to the franchise and the revenue he continues to bring to them by being on the roster? Or do they pay him based on his current actual value on the court?

The Lakers chose to pay Kobe based on what he has meant to the franchise, but they were in a different position than the Heat are in. Once the Dwight/Nash deal blew up, they knew they were looking at a couple rough seasons and Kobe would be the reason people would still watch games.

The Heat are in a position where they could challenge for the ECF next year.

I think Wade himself will determine that.
If he doesn't opt out, like the Heat want, Riley can be creative next year.
IF he does opt out, then Riley probably ends up doing what is best long term for the franchise (as he should).

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hassan Whiteside averaged 11.8 ppg and 10 boards and 2.6 blocks on 62.8% shooting last year in under 24 minutes a game. Now that the Heat know what they got I would think he averages easily 10 minutes more a game next year... you do the math. But I promise you if this kid just does what he did last year he will be an All-Star, let alone if he actually develops his low post and free throw shooting aspects of his game.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the East?

It would be tough to leapfrog Horford, Lopez if Healthy, Bosh if Healthy, Bron, Melo if Healthy, Gasol...

But, not impossible since almost all those guy have health issues.

If he does make it, Miami will have issues keeping him because they don't have full bird rights.

That's why they have to find a happy medium with Wade.

If they agree to this, wave goodbye to any hope of landing a top guy in 2016 and maybe retaining Whiteside.

Joseph Goodman: Yes, Wade wants $20 M a year for three years. RT @Alf954 Is there news? Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr -

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hassan Whiteside averaged 11.8 ppg and 10 boards and 2.6 blocks on 62.8% shooting last year in under 24 minutes a game. Now that the Heat know what they got I would think he averages easily 10 minutes more a game next year... you do the math. But I promise you if this kid just does what he did last year he will be an All-Star, let alone if he actually develops his low post and free throw shooting aspects of his game.

Again with the IFs! We're discussing the stats of a guy who got passed up by multiple talented GMs and happened to have ONE good season with his 5th professional basketball team in three years, not including stints with 4 different D-League teams. Don't go pretending you've got the best big man in the East now!

As for the stats? He had some decent numbers but there's absolutely no guarantee an increase in playing time means an increase in productivity.