• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting stat on 2014 defense vs 2013 and 2012

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 defense has given up 20+ pts 7 times in 10 games

2013 defense gave up 20+ pts 4 times in 19 games (3 playoff games)

2012 defense gave up 20+pts 6 times (2 playoff games)

7 times giving up 20+ pts in only 10 games is alot. I hear alot of criticism of the offense but for the most part I think the offense has performed up to its potential. Its just the potential and ceiling for this offense isnt very high. This isnt an offense that is built to score 27-31 pts a game to cover for the defense not being able to get off the field on third downs.

I think wheb it comes down to it, if the defense plays better or close to last year's form then we'll be a serious threat for the superbowl even if its by the hardest route

No team will want to see a red hot and angry 10-6 or 11-5 seahawk team as a wild card

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise dude. The defensive injuries and lack of D-Line depth are at an all time high compared to the 2012-2013 teams.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that our offense can't light it up spare a few games where defenses forget Russell Wilson can run.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be tough to perform to those levels with the players on the roster.

Red Bryant - huge downgrade to Williams, Avril, Bennett or whoever is rotated in there
McDonald - minor downgrade here, but not insignificant
Clemons - I will call it even with Bennett, considering Clemons was less effective last season and Bennett is less effective on the right End
Browner - some may have issue with this opinion, but I see Maxwell as significant downgrade from Browner due to size issues. When a team moved their #1 to Browner's side, they could not easily throw jump balls or out muscle him on the LOS. Maxwell cannot compete as well verses the big, tall #1s, especially on the goal line where 5 yards of contact is a huge deal.
Deathbacker - minor downgrade to injured but playing Kam
Mebane - Huge downgrade to Williams et al.

This Defense has to run blitzes to get to the QB or even move him off his spot. Some may get there, but anytime you send an extra man or two, you lose it on the back end and if you don't get home, it is almost guaranteed problems for you.

I want to believe this team can beat AZ at home, but no pressure on even a backup QB leads to bad results.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is still ranked (surprisingly) as the 3rd best defense statistically. 3rd against the pass and 7th against the run. We are tied for 12th in points allowed. So it's difficult to say the defense are playing poorly. Turnovers are down, sacks are down and they don't seem to have that "fly to the ball and punish them" mentality of last season but they are doing alright. Maybe better than alright if you consider the injuries and tough schedule.

Also, let's not forget that with the leagues heavy emphasis on holding and interference that seem geared to help QB's pad stats and move the ball easier, scoring is up on every defense. It's no wonder we've allowed more 20+ point games when that is exactly what the NFL wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 defense has given up 20+ pts 7 times in 10 games

2013 defense gave up 20+ pts 4 times in 19 games (3 playoff games)

2012 defense gave up 20+pts 6 times (2 playoff games)

7 times giving up 20+ pts in only 10 games is alot. I hear alot of criticism of the offense but for the most part I think the offense has performed up to its potential. Its just the potential and ceiling for this offense isnt very high. This isnt an offense that is built to score 27-31 pts a game to cover for the defense not being able to get off the field on third downs.

I think wheb it comes down to it, if the defense plays better or close to last year's form then we'll be a serious threat for the superbowl even if its by the hardest route

No team will want to see a red hot and angry 10-6 or 11-5 seahawk team as a wild card

A good thing to add to this is the offensive scoring stats from those 3 years.
2012 25.8 PPG
2013 26.1 PPG
2014 26.0 PPG
Now what you are not seeing is the point's the defense put up for the team last season, the offense has not benefited much from Defensive scores this season and it has hurt them. The lack of INT's and turn overs in general have forced the Seahawks to go the long field for points more often than not.

Just thought i would add those numbers into your post to allow a larger picture.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides losing so many to injuries and FA, the bigger loss may be the rotation and keeping fresh pass rushers in the game. Everything starts with the line and ours is just not what it was.
I really am bummed about this hard salary cap and the inability of teams to keep all their best players. I realize every team has to make the hard choices but damn!

Wilson next season will get a ton of money and he has earned it. But it will mean we let some players go again. General manager has to be a miserable job!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now i think the biggest loss is Clemons. He demanded so much attention it allowed the others more 1 on 1's. Even only at 70-80% like he was, he was forcing QB's to step up sooner or roll out away from him forcing them into Bennett and Avril's waiting hands.

What are we on pace for as far as sacks go? 20 ? -.-

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year's defense was great, but the biggest issue with the change to this year's defense is Michael Bennett. Not saying he's playing badly, but I remember him being most effective as a pass rushing DT, not DE. This year, I'm not sure if I've seen him play inside, which means we aren't getting the push from the middle that helped create all that havoc in the pocket. Clinton McDaniel was another guy who could get pressure from the DT position. This year, our DTs have gotten zero push in the opposing QBs face, so when the outside does give pressure, there's always as pocket to step into.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is still good. I'm disappointed with the offense. The whole "just don't turn the ball over" model doesn't work anymore and we need to be more aggressive than we are. Look at the Rams game. It was a complete disaster and Wilson put the team offense on his shoulders and put together the first 300/100 game in NFL history. I believe in the guy and I think he should have the same kind of freedom that other top tier QB's have but it just hasn't happened for whatever reason. We got a solid core in the secondary and if we resign Wagner then that's a solid core to build around for years. We probably won't see what we saw last year again but ET/Sherman/Kam/Wagner is going to give you a top 10 defense on their talent alone. If Wilson is the guy then give him the green light the whole game not when things fall apart and we need the Wilson magic. He shredded teams behind a bigger line at Wisconsin both inside and outside the pocket. Just give him the whole field to work with and let him do his thing and we'll be fine.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is still ranked top 5, they just aren't playing at an all-time great level like last year. That was never going to be sustainable though, even if they kept every player.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Points allowed per game.
2014 21.5
2013 14.4
2012 15.3
2011 19.7
This Defense is not on the same level at all when talking about scoring. Only the 2010 unit allowed more points. ( Pete's first year )