• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Initial thoughts on Manning matchup

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it, Manning is the Denver Broncos. I am not taking the rest of the team for granted, because they have some fine players, but Manning is what makes them good and what it all revolves around. Our team is built to stop teams like this, so we do not have to alter our normal gameplan. We have not faced an offense like this all season and the closest to them was Brees and the Saints. Obviously other factors weigh into who the top offenses are like what defenses they played, but Denver was head and shoulders above everyone else from a pure points perspective. This is the perfect team for the Hawks to prove themselves against. Denver's defense is, well, to coin a phrase, "pedestrian."

1. Keep Manning on the sideline - Our running game needs to be firing on all cylinders and just grind out clock chewing first down after first down. Our run game is built to do this. 3rd down conversions will be key to keeping the clock ticking. I have seen teams play him this way, and he is the most capeable QB of firing back in less than a minute, so point 2 is also key here.

2. Turnovers - Manning is the player responsible for half of Denver's turnovers. 10 Interceptions and 3 fumbles. Our team is built to protect and take away the ball. Takeaways being the primary stat there. Time and time again we win the turnover battle. The Hawks are +20 in T/O margin and Denver is 0. Manning was at his worst on 1st down and in the 4th quarter as far as turnovers are concerned.

3. Move Manning in the pocket - Manning has not been sacked much and credit is due to the Denver O-Line. We must send blitzing LBs to move him off his spot, much like we did to Brees. Luckily we do not have to assign a LB to spy on him like Kaep, so the Leo or whomever is free to find a hole and go get him. Our defense is designed to do just this. Also, our defense is designed to stop short timing patterns with the press coverage. This will make Manning hold the ball longer allowing our pass rush to get there.

As I have said, the Hawks are built to take on this type of team. It won't be easy, but I think they can step up to the challenge. If Denver wants to beat us, they have to stop the run which is not a huge strength for them. They have to contain RW and stop the air attack. They only have 20 sacks on the season and 5 of them came in the last two games of the year against Houston and Oakland. They have to win the turnover battle which is not a strength for them, and they have to be successful through the air against the best pass defense in the NFL. They have played Houston (3) and NYG (10), but Houston was a defeated team in week 16 and New York was losing often so teams ran the ball on them. Indy (13) was the best pass defense they faced realistically.

These are my initial thoughts. There are others, like playing the pic and bunch formation plays properly to ensure Welker does not scorch us coming across the middle, and not abandoning the run defense since Knowshon is pretty good.

Your thoughts?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two biggest keys to me are keeping him off the field as much as possible so we don't have to get into a shootout with the Broncos and getting pressure on him when the Broncos offense is on the field. The Pats couldn't get any pressure on him the other day and he made them pay for it. The Seahawks defensive line is capable of getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks without having to blitz and that's one of the reasons why opposing quarterbacks haven't been able to just pick our defense apart all season.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I think that our offense can put up 28-31 pts on their defense. Their defensive line is incredible against the run...but so is San Fran's D-line and overall San Fran's front 7 is much better than Denver's and Marshawn still managed to have a great game.

DRC is a good CB and Champ is still solid, but their secondary can be picked on and especially with Percy back...Russell is going to have his opportunities for some big plays.

I watch a lot of the Denver games, because I'm a Peyton Manning fan so I know that their defense have played better of late giving up only about 14-16 pts a game in their final 4. However, 2 of those games came against poor offenses (Houston and Oakland) and the two other (San Diego and New England) are against a team they are facing a second time. Familiarity plays a big factor in defensive adjustments. I mean look at how Arizona did against us the second time around.

Playing Seattle there will be no familiarity. I think that gives the Seattle offense a slight edge over the Denver defense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our offense can put up some points against this defense and keep Manning off the field. I know the Denver defense line has done a good job against the run, but really, most teams find themselves having to play catch up with the Broncos, thus more passing less running.

I do think our offense has got to be a factor in this game. Manning is going to put some points on the board and it's up to the Seahawks offense to do the same.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe our offense can work against these guys as well. I just think the gameplan will be to start with our strength and run it down their throat. Taking shots every so often. Denver either chose to keep passers in the pocket this season, or just do not have a good pass rush, so RW should be able to sit in the pocket quite a bit. That said, he is so dynamic when outside the pocket and the scramble plays save our ass time and again.

After just reading a story on Field Gulls about defenses in the Super Bowl I feel my first thoughts on this are correct and we will play Seahawk football and win the first of the championships this team is capable of.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we can establish a run early and get that d line tired which isnt very deep that will be huge.

As for Manning he likes to throw quick which could make getting pressure on him difficult. He is least sacked starting quarterback in the league. Its important we pumped the receivers at the line when we can to try and throw the timing routes off. Also dont ignore their run game. I feel like they are sneaking good at running the ball to so we have to respect that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone else want Michael Bowie to be put back into the starting lineup at Left Guard?

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else want Michael Bowie to be put back into the starting lineup at Left Guard?

I think so. I liked the swap back to McQ/Carp for the Niner game because the Smith boys were probably licking their chops at going after a rookie.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to predict that the Broncos run a hurry up offense. I say this because I watched them play in preseason and the Broncos used the hurry up offense and really moved the ball well, actually they moved the ball great. The Seahawks defense countered with getting turn overs. I'm betting the Broncos feel they can limit the turnovers in this rematch.

Most likely they will be wrong, however.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver's defense isn't anything special.

But Denver's best defensive weapon is Peyton Manning, just like when he played in Indy. If he's methodical, like he was against NE, with long, executed drives. He's almost impossible to beat.

Can't wait, going to be an awesome game.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sherman is going to shut down Thomas.

Key match ups will be elsewhere. Like Welker and Decker.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sherman is going to shut down Thomas.

Key match ups will be elsewhere. Like Welker and Decker.

Sherman plays whoever is on his side.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman plays whoever is on his side.

So you're telling me, if Denver puts Thomas on the other side, Sherman won't follow?

That would be a huge mistake

Thomas has already shown, he will crumble under lock down coverage

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me, if Denver puts Thomas on the other side, Sherman won't follow?

That would be a huge mistake

Thomas has already shown, he will crumble under lock down coverage

Nope. Only exception was week 2 this year against Boldin. I doubt they change it. Maxwell has even better ratings than Sherman since he got the starting job after Browner was suspended.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Only exception was week 2 this year against Boldin. I doubt they change it. Maxwell has even better ratings than Sherman since he got the starting job after Browner was suspended.

If I had to pick 1 guy on Seattle, that I think may have a big game, it would be Kam Chancellor.

You heard it here first, 6'3/6'4 230+ pounds, all this talk and hype about Sherman, Kam will come up big

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick 1 guy on Seattle, that I think may have a big game, it would be Kam Chancellor.

You heard it here first, 6'3/6'4 230+ pounds, all this talk and hype about Sherman, Kam will come up big

Maybe. His last two games have been unreal. Bunches of tackles, passes defended, Interception, trucking VD, again. He is an animal.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wants to talk about Julius Thomas and how he's going to be a force against Seattle's secondary. They are quick to forget someone by the name of Jimmy Graham was shut down twice. And Jimmy Graham is twice the player Julius Thomas is.

Sherman/Maxwell on DT/Decker

The real interesting match up will be Thurmond or Lane on Welker

The thing I like about Peyton is he doesn't shy away from the best competition. Unlike Brees who avoided Sherman pretty much in both match ups, I have a feeling that Peyton has full confidence in DT and will test him on Sherman on one on one match ups.

I'm hoping for a couple flutter balls that Earl or Sherman can get a hand on and pick it off

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it, Manning is the Denver Broncos. I am not taking the rest of the team for granted, because they have some fine players, but Manning is what makes them good and what it all revolves around. Our team is built to stop teams like this, so we do not have to alter our normal gameplan. We have not faced an offense like this all season and the closest to them was Brees and the Saints. Obviously other factors weigh into who the top offenses are like what defenses they played, but Denver was head and shoulders above everyone else from a pure points perspective. This is the perfect team for the Hawks to prove themselves against. Denver's defense is, well, to coin a phrase, "pedestrian."

1. Keep Manning on the sideline - Our running game needs to be firing on all cylinders and just grind out clock chewing first down after first down. Our run game is built to do this. 3rd down conversions will be key to keeping the clock ticking. I have seen teams play him this way, and he is the most capeable QB of firing back in less than a minute, so point 2 is also key here.

2. Turnovers - Manning is the player responsible for half of Denver's turnovers. 10 Interceptions and 3 fumbles. Our team is built to protect and take away the ball. Takeaways being the primary stat there. Time and time again we win the turnover battle. The Hawks are +20 in T/O margin and Denver is 0. Manning was at his worst on 1st down and in the 4th quarter as far as turnovers are concerned.

3. Move Manning in the pocket - Manning has not been sacked much and credit is due to the Denver O-Line. We must send blitzing LBs to move him off his spot, much like we did to Brees. Luckily we do not have to assign a LB to spy on him like Kaep, so the Leo or whomever is free to find a hole and go get him. Our defense is designed to do just this. Also, our defense is designed to stop short timing patterns with the press coverage. This will make Manning hold the ball longer allowing our pass rush to get there.

As I have said, the Hawks are built to take on this type of team. It won't be easy, but I think they can step up to the challenge. If Denver wants to beat us, they have to stop the run which is not a huge strength for them. They have to contain RW and stop the air attack. They only have 20 sacks on the season and 5 of them came in the last two games of the year against Houston and Oakland. They have to win the turnover battle which is not a strength for them, and they have to be successful through the air against the best pass defense in the NFL. They have played Houston (3) and NYG (10), but Houston was a defeated team in week 16 and New York was losing often so teams ran the ball on them. Indy (13) was the best pass defense they faced realistically.

These are my initial thoughts. There are others, like playing the pic and bunch formation plays properly to ensure Welker does not scorch us coming across the middle, and not abandoning the run defense since Knowshon is pretty good.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? A good post but as you can expect, I have a point of contention with a few of these thoughts.

If Denver wants to beat us, they have to stop the run which is not a huge strength for them.

What are you basing this on? Denver had the #7 rushing Defense in the league during the regular season and the #1 in the post season so far. Gave up 56 yards rushing the Chargers total, and absolutely stoned LeGarret Blount holding him to 6 yards. Both of these teams entered the post season as running juggernauts.

We must send blitzing LBs to move him off his spot, much like we did to Brees.

Denver has been outstanding at picking up the blitz and keeping Manning clean. Moreno is great at pass protection in the backfield. Manning will make you pay if you blitz leaving man coverage.

I get that the plan will be to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of their routes and try and make Manning hold the ball longer hoping the pass rush gets there. But that O-line has been fantastic at protection, no sacks in the post season. And Bunch formations, and crossing routes with pick plays (yes they are legal) will counter that. Colts did it for a half then the Broncos adjusted and had success the 2nd half.

I don't see how you contain all of Denver's receiving weapons. Someone is getting single coverage an getting open. Manning spreads the ball around too well for anyone to get shutdown.

You are right that turnovers are a key here. No way to predict it. You can't count on them, but my guess is whichever team commits the most turnovers will have a hard time wining this game.

If Denver does not turn the ball over more than once, I don't see Seattle having enough offense to match Denver score for score. Wilson is not going to win a shootout and Lynch is not going to win the game single handed. Key match-up here is the interior line and Terence Knighton. Stuffing the run lately while shedding double team blocks.

The defense you call pedestrian held the Patriots to 3 points until 10 minutes left in the game when they went into prevent and shut down the Pats running game and Blount.

The match-up will be a good one all around. #1 offense against the #1 defense. Seattle does not disguise what they do on defense. They challenge you to beat them. My money is on Manning being able to find and expose their weakness which will be them being to greedy or over aggressive and leaving a favorable match-up for him to exploit.

I'm calling it now. Denver protects the football and they will win 31-17.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts?...

*edited for space*

It would be much easier if you had just stated "I have not watched Seattle all year, so I have no idea how good their defense is and box scores say their offense isn't good either."

I actually have watched 3 Broncos games today.

Our secondary can play man on every receiver you have, they really are that good. We have bench players that would start for Denver. Peyton is good, but he tends to make bad throws every once in a while that bad secondaries don't capitalize on, but this one will.

Your defense stopped two pass first teams at running the ball and your secondary has been gashed repeatedly.

Your score is probably right, but it will be Seattle holding the Lombardi.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts? A good post but as you can expect, I have a point of contention with a few of these thoughts.

What are you basing this on? Denver had the #7 rushing Defense in the league during the regular season and the #1 in the post season so far. Gave up 56 yards rushing the Chargers total, and absolutely stoned LeGarret Blount holding him to 6 yards. Both of these teams entered the post season as running juggernauts.

Denver has been outstanding at picking up the blitz and keeping Manning clean. Moreno is great at pass protection in the backfield. Manning will make you pay if you blitz leaving man coverage.

I get that the plan will be to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of their routes and try and make Manning hold the ball longer hoping the pass rush gets there. But that O-line has been fantastic at protection, no sacks in the post season. And Bunch formations, and crossing routes with pick plays (yes they are legal) will counter that. Colts did it for a half then the Broncos adjusted and had success the 2nd half.

I don't see how you contain all of Denver's receiving weapons. Someone is getting single coverage an getting open. Manning spreads the ball around too well for anyone to get shutdown.

You are right that turnovers are a key here. No way to predict it. You can't count on them, but my guess is whichever team commits the most turnovers will have a hard time wining this game.

If Denver does not turn the ball over more than once, I don't see Seattle having enough offense to match Denver score for score. Wilson is not going to win a shootout and Lynch is not going to win the game single handed. Key match-up here is the interior line and Terence Knighton. Stuffing the run lately while shedding double team blocks.

The defense you call pedestrian held the Patriots to 3 points until 10 minutes left in the game when they went into prevent and shut down the Pats running game and Blount.

The match-up will be a good one all around. #1 offense against the #1 defense. Seattle does not disguise what they do on defense. They challenge you to beat them. My money is on Manning being able to find and expose their weakness which will be them being to greedy or over aggressive and leaving a favorable match-up for him to exploit.

OK, I guess strength is a vague word. I wouldn't call our run defense a strength, but maybe because our pass defense is so incredible. Both run D's are comparable, but if they give Lynch 100 yards, it will be a long day for your team. He just ran for over 100 on the Niners, the 4th best run defense. What we do know is that pass defense rules this league and we have one. Denver does not. Now the reason I did not mention the pass game was because I was just going through my initial thoughts on keeping Manning off the field. Let's talk about that pass defense of yours. Better with Champ, but pretty horrible overall. Brady was off and clearly overthrew his guys repeatedly and didn't have Gronk. That could happen to Wilson as well, so we will see.

Coverage - I guess you have not watched many Seattle games. We almost exclusively play man to man. We change it up with zone in certain situations, but our CBs can hold their own. Our number 2-4 Cbs could be number 1 CBs on almost any team in the league. Maxwell, Thurmond, Lane. Our pass rush is very good and when you combine that with the press coverage and all-pro safeties over the top, I expect to see Manning on his back a few times and maybe strip sacked.

Turnovers - hmm, no way to predict it? I guess you could see it that way, but your team gives up as many as they take, and we are +20 for a reason, takeaways. Huge pass rush, strip sacks, interceptions and forced fumbles. You gave it away 1 more time every 2 games approx., so we are protecting it better and taking it away, a lot better.

We do run a vanilla Defense, but that is only a narrative that the playoff announcers have been using. When needed our defense will throw multiple looks and our corners and safeties are smart enough to disguise their pre-snap position to give the QB a certain look and then jump to another. Separation is in the preparation.

I guess what I am saying is if our strength is as good or better than yours, what are you going to fall back on to score points? Knowshon? If you stop Lynch, we still have a good passing game to fall back on and of course a very tasty matchup against a porous pass defense with little to no pressure on the QB.

We have the better special teams units, even without Percy. With Percy? Who do you have that can cover Percy if he can stay in the entire game without breaking a nail?

I do think it will be a very good matchup, but have no idea at this point what the score could be.

Hawks win!