• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 1 - Myles Murphey - Thoughts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's elite, but I do think he's pretty darn good...

He was the 3rd rated DE, has 18/20 sacks over 3 years (seen both numbers used)...has the length and motor that this defense looks for. Versatile, which is what this defense highly values across all positions. I think with how Lou uses his DE's, this is a great fit and when you have a player that fits a scheme well, you tend to get the higher end out of them. Put him in a pass-rush rotation with Hubbard, Ossai, Hendrickson and that's not too bad.

He also seems to have the length and strength to be a more every down DE, which is a big key because this team could lose Hendrickson after this year as he is a F/A. Can't re-sign everyone and other people looking at extensions just on defense: Reader, Awuzie, and Wilson.

I'm sure some of the angst is that Mayer was available at 28, and so was Porter - but both of those guys slipping just shows you how much the rest of the NFL values the depth in this draft at both TE and CB.

If all else fails...in Lou I trust. What he's been able to get out of guys, both scheme-wise and from a talent standpoint, should not go without some merit. At 28, it was going to be really hard pressed to find a guy that was just going to "wow" everyone - again, I'm sure many had Mayer down as a sure-fire lock if he fell - but this team did have a need for more pressure and sacks, after ranking just 29th last year in the latter category. I think that's likely a stat and an area of "need" that has flown quietly under the radar this off-season.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals know what they need at this point. We're mostly past the days of hiring someone's relative to be coaches and then making them double as scouts. The offensive players like Mayer would have been interesting, but we 'sort of' addressed that in free agency. We can't neglect the defense and just expect the high powered offense to make up for it every week.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals know what they need at this point. We're mostly past the days of hiring someone's relative to be coaches and then making them double as scouts. The offensive players like Mayer would have been interesting, but we 'sort of' addressed that in free agency. We can't neglect the defense and just expect the high powered offense to make up for it every week.
Also have to remember that while Burrow, Chase, and Higgins get the media attention for contracts...Reader, Awuzie, Hendrickson, and Wilson are all up after this year as well.

Can't sign everyone.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to remember that while Burrow, Chase, and Higgins get the media attention for contracts...Reader, Awuzie, Hendrickson, and Wilson are all up after this year as well.

Can't sign everyone.
Hendrickson signed a 4 year deal and played 2 seasons, so we still get 2 more from him. That said, this team struggled with their pass rush last year. And even the very durable Sam Hubbard missed a few games last season. First round picks are for premium positions and the Bengals respected that rule.

The other big thing about Murphy is that he is only 21 - He could really develop into something special.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendrickson signed a 4 year deal and played 2 seasons, so we still get 2 more from him. That said, this team struggled with their pass rush last year. And even the very durable Sam Hubbard missed a few games last season. First round picks are for premium positions and the Bengals respected that rule.

The other big thing about Murphy is that he is only 21 - He could really develop into something special.
Sorry, you are correct...he has 1 more year. Misread...

Still good to have a guy now 5 years of control, 1-2 years as a main rotational guy and then ready to start by year 3.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the pick a lot.

They got pressure but not a lot of sacks last year, they need more from that position with all the AFC QB's. He is the prototype of what they value at the DE with his physical measurables. Myles Murphy can be a factor from the very beginning in rotational and 3rd and long packages.

There is also some chatter that Hendrickson (whom we all love) needs to have a big year to see the end of his contract. His cap number in 2024 is 17.5 million. Only 2.5 million in dead money, if he were cut. Second biggest (currently) on the team. That's the last year of his deal.

They ain't getting rid of him this year, that's not what this is but...just something to have in the back of your mind. He is also turning 29 in December...and seems to get dinged frequently (although he plays through that more times than not). Murphy just turned 21 years old in January.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the pick a lot.

They got pressure but not a lot of sacks last year, they need more from that position with all the AFC QB's. He is the prototype of what they value at the DE with his physical measurables. Myles Murphy can be a factor from the very beginning in rotational and 3rd and long packages.

There is also some chatter that Hendrickson (whom we all love) needs to have a big year to see the end of his contract. His cap number in 2024 is 17.5 million. Only 2.5 million in dead money, if he were cut. Second biggest (currently) on the team. That's the last year of his deal.

They ain't getting rid of him this year, that's not what this is but...just something to have in the back of your mind. He is also turning 29 in December...and seems to get dinged frequently (although he plays through that more times than not). Murphy just turned 21 years old in January.
Yeah, 13th in pressure but 29th in sacks. Seems to be a wide disparity. You'd think that is something that may even up a bit this year. Could also be teams were scheming more short stuff...got pressure, but not enough to get the sacks....

Regardless - I like the pick. It adds to the depth at DE, Hendrickson was hurt last year and it showed. This allows even more flexibility on pure passing situations where you can start to line guys up all over...Ossai, Carter, Hubbard, Hendrickson, and now Murphey....and on other downs you will still see Hill in there who can rush a bit from the DT spot and of course Reader.....

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably nothing but, he's from Clemson. so is Reader. REader will need to be resigned