• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Initial thoughts on Manning matchup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I feel like you guys are just saying that the sacks are irrelevant yet have no actual evidence to back up that Seattle caused more pressure than that of New England.

Statistically, Seattle gets sacks a slightly larger percentage of the time than NE. New England got 48 sacks in 589 opponents' pass attempts which is a sack 8.14% of the time. Seattle got 44 sacks in 524 opponents pass attempts which is a sack 8.40% of the time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, anyone arguing over any statistic is just wasting time. For every stat, there is another stat and another stat that says something else.

How about looking at the number of POINTS that defenses allowed per game? I don't care if Seattle get's zero sacks. If they continue to keep teams from scoring POINTS (those little things that win games) then what else matters.

I don't care if Manning passes for 500 yards, as long as all those drives end in a turnover, punt, or FG.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like you guys are just saying that the sacks are irrelevant yet have no actual evidence to back up that Seattle caused more pressure than that of New England. Also to say that New England's secondary is bad is well just wrong. There is a reason that 2 of their secondary made the 2nd team All-Pro this year. Throw in they had 2 guys make it in the top 18 in combined sacks, hurries, and quarterback hits. Guess how many Seattle had in that same group...0. Yes I know you have a nice rotation of guys so their numbers are hurt by that but you are acting like New England's pass rush sucks and well that just isn't true. They were one of the top 5 in quarterback sacks, hits, and hurries this season and were top 10 in quarterback rating.

I would also love to see the stats of New England needing to blitz to bring pressure considering they had two very good DE's that did just fine on their own. Like I said if you can prove me wrong then I would be more than happy to say I was wrong but to me this feels like you were more hoping nobody would call you to actually have to do the research.

Have you watched Seattle's D play this year ? For you to even question whether or not Seattle get's more pressure on a qb compared to the Pats D tell's me you haven't watched Seattle's defense much….

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were all talking about how Seattle's D will match-up to Denvers O but what about on the flip side … I think Seattle's O definitely has some favorable match-ups… Denver's secondary isn't exactly scary and even with that dominating offense keeping them on the sideline in the AFC West there near the bottom of the league in pass coverage…

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched Seattle's D play this year ? For you to even question whether or not Seattle get's more pressure on a qb compared to the Pats D tell's me you haven't watched Seattle's defense much….

I have watched plenty of both Seattle and New England this season. New England's strength on defense was causing pressure and leading to some turnovers. Now do I think they are quite on the level of the Seahawks...NO. Honestly I already know the answer to the question that I posed to all of you as I have done the research just seems like many of you were just guessing and hoping that Seattle caused more pressure than actually having anything to back that up.

Now since nobody went and did the research on the sacks, pressures, and hurries yes Seattle is better than New England. It isn't as big of a difference as many of you would probably hope though. I do expect that Seattle will be able to get to Manning more than that of New England in this last game. There is a reason though the Broncos graded out as the best OL in the NFL and have yet to have Peyton sacked in the playoffs. It is somewhat two-fold in Peyton does get rid of the ball quickly but this is a very good OL especially in pass blocking. The only time they have struggled is when the RT Franklin was injured for a few games but he has been back for the last month and the OL has barely allowed Peyton to not only get sacked but even hit. I do expect it to be a great match up between this offense and defense but to me the real battle is not the secondary vs. the receivers but it will be the OL vs. DL that will decide more. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest secondary in NFL history if the OL is giving the quarterback all the time in the world to wait for a receiver to get open. So again to me that is what will decide whether the Bronco offense beats the Seattle defense.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pass rush is as good as it was against the 49ers then we're going to get to him. They had to worry about over-pursuit on Kaep because he was killing us with his legs and that isn't an issue with Manning. He gets the ball out quick but we have the best press coverage in the league.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pass rush is as good as it was against the 49ers then we're going to get to him. They had to worry about over-pursuit on Kaep because he was killing us with his legs and that isn't an issue with Manning. He gets the ball out quick but we have the best press coverage in the league.

I understand that but this OL goes beyond just Peyton getting rid of the ball quickly. This past Sunday is a great example where there were plenty of plays Peyton was in the pocket for 4-5 seconds with no one even close to him before he had to pass. This has been the norm most of the season. Yes Manning gets rid of the ball quickly but has the luxury of holding onto it when he wants. So we shall see which one holds up here in a little over a week.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but this OL goes beyond just Peyton getting rid of the ball quickly. This past Sunday is a great example where there were plenty of plays Peyton was in the pocket for 4-5 seconds with no one even close to him before he had to pass. This has been the norm most of the season. Yes Manning gets rid of the ball quickly but has the luxury of holding onto it when he wants. So we shall see which one holds up here in a little over a week.

not to many plays where he had 4-5 seconds to throw. He was getting it out most of the time before a 3 count. Manning in his career averages about 19 sacks a season because of his smarts. Look at his oline in Indy and the same oline gave up how many sacks when Manning was out with injury? something like 40+.

Peyton can make a average Oline look Elite.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not a great example because you're not playing the Pats. You're playing the Seahawks. They were flushing Kaep early and he was killing us with his feet. In the 2nd half they were still getting a push and containing and when the coverage did it's job we were sticking him. We don't have to worry about that with Manning. The coverage is also much better for the Seahawks. The Broncos are going in facing a defense that's on fire right now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a great example because you're not playing the Pats. You're playing the Seahawks. They were flushing Kaep early and he was killing us with his feet. In the 2nd half they were still getting a push and containing and when the coverage did it's job we were sticking him. We don't have to worry about that with Manning. The coverage is also much better for the Seahawks. The Broncos are going in facing a defense that's on fire right now.

The point is the Patriots have a good pass rush. Top 5 in the league in fact. Yet they didn't touch Manning once. Yes some of that is he gets the ball out quickly but some of that is this OL is playing at an elite level.

I understand the Seahawks have a great pass rush. I have been saying that. Many of you seem to think the Bronco OL though just sucks out the wazoo. I'm sorry but you don't just set the NFL record book on fire with mediocre OL play. They have gone against some of the top pass rushers in the NFL and shut them down for the most part.

Now again who wins this match up in my book wins this game. It should be a great match up.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is the Patriots have a good pass rush. Top 5 in the league in fact. Yet they didn't touch Manning once. Yes some of that is he gets the ball out quickly but some of that is this OL is playing at an elite level.

I understand the Seahawks have a great pass rush. I have been saying that. Many of you seem to think the Bronco OL though just sucks out the wazoo. I'm sorry but you don't just set the NFL record book on fire with mediocre OL play. They have gone against some of the top pass rushers in the NFL and shut them down for the most part.

Now again who wins this match up in my book wins this game. It should be a great match up.

Not some, MOST of it is Manning getting the ball out quickly. I have never seen a QB as talented as Manning as far as getting the ball out quickly. He will eat you alive with his quick release. 90% of the time as soon as he hits his back foot the ball is coming out. Also NE 18th ranked pass defense. Seattle #1 Ranked pass defense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not some, MOST of it is Manning getting the ball out quickly. I have never seen a QB as talented as Manning as far as getting the ball out quickly. He will eat you alive with his quick release. 90% of the time as soon as he hits his back foot the ball is coming out. Also NE 18th ranked pass defense. Seattle #1 Ranked pass defense.

Sheesh wow I guess Seattle fans are like their players in lacking in respect towards their opponents. You guys have a great team no getting around that. My hats off to your organization for forming such a good team and one that looks like it is going to stick around for a while. Anyway no reason to keep going on a conversation that both sides have made up their mind on where they stand.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheesh wow I guess Seattle fans are like their players in lacking in respect towards their opponents. You guys have a great team no getting around that. My hats off to your organization for forming such a good team and one that looks like it is going to stick around for a while. Anyway no reason to keep going on a conversation that both sides have made up their mind on where they stand.

Wait a second, the only one here that is showing a lack of respect to any team is you towards the Seahawks LMAO wow you got a weird way of seeing things. You continue to "IGNORE" the elephant in this room and that is Manning as great as he is has not faced a Defense as physical or talented as the Hawks this season against the Pass. They have the best Pass defense the NFL has seen and in this now pass happy league where the offense gets all the protection and where the rules were changed to facilitate the passing game this means more than you are giving credit to it.

What's even more funny is the fact you are taking away from Mannings talent and what he has done FOREVER in the league and ignoring that. The Broncos are talented on offense the records they broke prove this. But lets not forget that Peyton did what he has always done behind even POOR olines and that is have less than 20 sacks on him in a season.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Broncos O-line sucks. I just said that one of the keys to the Hawks game will be getting pressure on him, and that our team is built to do just that.

Patriots missing Wilfork and Talib. Wilfork is more of a run stuffer I think, but he demands a double team regardless. Seahawks have 2 and maybe 3 players of Talibs caliber and I also don't think the Pats play press coverage much. Maybe Talib, but not the rest. As I said earlier, no team in the league has the combo of Dbs, safeties, LBs and D-line that Seattle does. These all work together to cause pocket passers problems.

I think in the preseason game, not that it means that much, Bobby Wagner and the turf introduced themselves to Manning. Manning completed the pass, but took a shot. Nothing in the sack column, but something of a concern for him.

I do agree, the battle will be O-Line vs. pass rush and blitz. I just believe our coverage is that good. I think Manning will drive the field fine, but inside the 20 is where our defense really excels. This will be fun to watch because Manning excels in the redzone as well.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, look what happened to Kaep when he stayed in the pocket in the second half. 20-7 Hawks. I am in no way equating Kaep to Manning, but just pointing out that actually Kaep poses our defense more problems than a pocket passer will because we lose a cover player to act as a spy. We now get that player to help in coverage or put Manning on his back.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh? How was he remotely lacking respect for the Broncos ? I don't think anyone is doubting the Broncos are a good football team because they are… I don't think any Seattle fan thinks this is a lock and it's over… Hell no that's why we play the games… Turnovers obviously will be a factor like it always is... Weather can be a big factor obviously… So we'll see…

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a second, the only one here that is showing a lack of respect to any team is you towards the Seahawks LMAO wow you got a weird way of seeing things. You continue to "IGNORE" the elephant in this room and that is Manning as great as he is has not faced a Defense as physical or talented as the Hawks this season against the Pass. They have the best Pass defense the NFL has seen and in this now pass happy league where the offense gets all the protection and where the rules were changed to facilitate the passing game this means more than you are giving credit to it.

What's even more funny is the fact you are taking away from Mannings talent and what he has done FOREVER in the league and ignoring that. The Broncos are talented on offense the records they broke prove this. But lets not forget that Peyton did what he has always done behind even POOR olines and that is have less than 20 sacks on him in a season.

Now yes I might be coming on a little strong and I apologize for that but I have also done nothing but talk up Seattle and what they bring to table in this game. I have said over and over again that Seattle has a great pass rush, they have the best secondary, and that the Bronco offense has not played as good of a defense as that of Seattle.

So far this week from Seattle fans I have seen them say the Broncos stand no chance in this game against the LOB, that Peyton will be lucky to survive the game, that Lynch will easily run for 150 yards, that the Broncos receivers are mediocre, the OL is nothing but Peyton and his abilities, and many more such things. We do have one Bronco fan on these boards that is a pretty big smack talker but if you go to the Bronco board you see pretty much all giving Seattle their due and realize this is going to be a great game between two great teams.

Anyway done on this Board. Can't wait till next Sunday