• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In Depth Look At NFL Teams Past Fifteen Seasons

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is this in depth?
Well, he didn't splice winning percentages by QB, defense or what not, but at the same time, this isn't an academic study either. General correlation implied being that more instability at QB caused by incompetence or impatience= bad. Stability= good. The % of 3rd year HC-QB combos making the playoffs is around 66 or something close.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you got the haves and have nots. Green Bay has only had two QB's in the last almost quarter century,lol. Both Favre and Rodgers are HOF. Indy has had two QB's nearly twenty years. Then you have a team like Cleveland with thirteen different starters and seven coaches. Oakland with ten or eleven different starters and eight or nine coaches.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a chart I found regarding year 3 continuity between HC's and QB's since 2000.

*Yes, survivor bias, but EVERYONE wants the stable franchise QB, so it's still relevant for many teams in the league. For example, if Gus Bradley and Bortles missed the playoffs year 3, many will question their jobs.

HCQBMaking_Playoffs.0.jpg

Same continuity, but broken down.

HCQBSuccess.0.jpg

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. New England--Only had three starting QB's Brady,Bledsoe,Cassel. 175 wins and 65 losses along with 12 playoff berths,6 Super Bowl appearances and 4 titles. Had one coach in 15 year period.

Wow

The stability theory is under the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" law ... I think the bigger abstract is management under free agency. Finding talent for specific needs is the hallmark of success in this era. As obvious as that sounds, the emphasis nowadays is on determing those needs as opposed to signing raw talent first.

In other words it's a combination of applying the talent around team and the team around the talent. NE (say, for example) has changed its emphasis from defense, to long ball offense, to short game, and now a more balanced defense/offense. It took flexible management and coaching as well as diverse talent ...

Oh yeah, and a little bit of cheating

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. San Diego Chargers--They had Rivers,Brees,Flutie,Leaf. 127 wins and 113 losses along with 6 playoff berths and no SB appearances. Had four coaches in 15 years.

14. Atlanta Falcons--They had Ryan,Vick,Harrington,Johnson,Chandler. 121 wins 118 losses and 1 tie along with 6 playoff appearances and no SB appearances. Had four coaches in 15 years.

Curious if Falcons will improve this season with new coaching? Also wondering how Chargers will do.

Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan both have been amazingly good through their careers but it sucks better teams weren't built around both QB's.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16. San Francisco 49ers--They had Kaepernick,Smith,Garcia,Rattay,Dilfer,Hill. 118 wins and 121 losses,1 tie along with 5 playoff appearances and 1 super bowl appearance. Had five coaches in 15 years.

Crazy thing about Niners they trade Alex Smith and now rumors are Kaepernick could be in his last year there. I think GM/Owner were nuts for getting rid of Harbaugh and gutting roster.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21. Cincinnati Bengals--They had Palmer,Dalton,Kitna,Fitzpatrick and Smith. 112 wins and 126 losses and 2 ties with 6 playoff appearances and no SB appearances. Had two coaches in 15 years.

Was shocked that Cincy was this far down the list in Wins. They have had stability the past 15 years with one coach going on thirteen years have made postseason four straight years and had two QB's mostly take biggest part of snaps.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32. Cleveland--They had Couch,Holcomb,Anderson,Frye,Dilfer,Garcia,Quinn,McCoy,Weeden,Campbell,Hoyer. Had 78 wins,162 losses, 1 playoff appearance,no SB appearance, Had seven coaches in 15 years.QUOTE]

:L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L:gaah::L

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a chart I found regarding year 3 continuity between HC's and QB's since 2000.

*Yes, survivor bias, but EVERYONE wants the stable franchise QB, so it's still relevant for many teams in the league. For example, if Gus Bradley and Bortles missed the playoffs year 3, many will question their jobs.

HCQBMaking_Playoffs.0.jpg

Same continuity, but broken down.

HCQBSuccess.0.jpg

That's backwards IMO.

In order for a QB and a head coach to stay together 3 years, they need to have success.

Continuity really isn't important (that is why so many teams and coaches have success with quality QB's in their 1st or 2nd season). It is having a good HC and QB that is important. If your head coach and QB are quality, you will then have continuity eventually.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's backwards IMO.

In order for a QB and a head coach to stay together 3 years, they need to have success.

Continuity really isn't important (that is why so many teams and coaches have success with quality QB's in their 1st or 2nd season). It is having a good HC and QB that is important. If your head coach and QB are quality, you will then have continuity eventually.
Yep, as noted, there's some very heavy survivor bias in there. Getting both does appear to be very important though.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your a Browns fan i see. I think you guys have a great roster. Starks,Bryant,Kruger,Dansby,Haden,Whitner and killer draft picks Danny Shelton and Nate Orchard. Bet anything Shelton/Orchard end up being long term cornerstones in that D those were awesome choices. On offense good O line,love the run game with Crowell,West and another fantastic draft pick Duke Johnson will be a big surprise mark my words. Pass game has Bowe,Hawkins and Housler. Only thing missing is a decent QB. I hate that your owner Haslam went against advice to take Bridgewater and took Manziel instead. IF you had Bridgewater right now i'd say you have a possible wild card playoff caliber team. Sucks you have McCown and Manziel otherwise Browns would be a force. Next offseason Browns need to make QB main priority. Gonna be tough facing you guys in second week of season.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. N.Y. Giants--They had Manning,Warner,Collins. 129 wins and 111 losses along with 7 playoff appearances and 2 super bowl wins. Had two coaches in 15 years.

I think if Coughlin and Manning lay another egg this team will be looking for a new coach and QB.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your a Browns fan i see. I think you guys have a great roster. Starks,Bryant,Kruger,Dansby,Haden,Whitner and killer draft picks Danny Shelton and Nate Orchard. Bet anything Shelton/Orchard end up being long term cornerstones in that D those were awesome choices. On offense good O line,love the run game with Crowell,West and another fantastic draft pick Duke Johnson will be a big surprise mark my words. Pass game has Bowe,Hawkins and Housler. Only thing missing is a decent QB. I hate that your owner Haslam went against advice to take Bridgewater and took Manziel instead. IF you had Bridgewater right now i'd say you have a possible wild card playoff caliber team. Sucks you have McCown and Manziel otherwise Browns would be a force. Next offseason Browns need to make QB main priority. Gonna be tough facing you guys in second week of season.

I have been waiting for a long time for the Browns to turn things around. Although I don't see that happening w/ the current crap they have @ QB right now. I agree the Browns need to make QB a priority. The problem is the only thing they have done right since their return is making the wrong Draft Day decisions.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning and success or lack of it has a lot to do with who each team put at QB and also how that team does drafting at that position. I looked back myself at the past 15 years of each team to see who had the most luck in regards to keeping that position running smooth and who didn't along with wins and losses..........I put each team overall in terms of what matters most WINS. Also in total coaches i didn't include interim coaches or QB's who played a game or two.

1. New England--Only had three starting QB's Brady,Bledsoe,Cassel. 175 wins and 65 losses along with 12 playoff berths,6 Super Bowl appearances and 4 titles. Had one coach in 15 year period.

2. Indianapolis--They had Manning then Luck but with exception of one year in 2011. 160 wins 80 losses along with 13 playoff berths and 2 Super Bowl appearances with 1 title. Had four coaches in 15 year period.

3. Pittsburgh--They had Roethlisberger,Stewart,Maddox. 154 wins and 85 losses and 1 tie along with 9 playoff berths and 3 Super Bowl appearances with 2 titles. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

4. Green Bay--To me this team has had the most luck with Favre and then Rodgers. 151 wins and 88 losses and 1 tie along with 11 playoff berths and 1 Super Bowl title. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

5. Philadelphia Eagles---They had McNabb,Vick,Foles,Sanchez. 145 wins and 94 losses and 1 tie along with 10 playoff appearances and 1 super bowl appearance. Tragic they made around five NFC championship games but no titles. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

6. Baltimore Ravens--They had Flacco,Boller,Blake,Banks,Grbac,McNair. 144 wins and 96 losses along with 10 playoff berths and 2 super bowl wins. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

7. Denver Broncos---They had Manning,Plummer,Griese,Cutler,Orton,Tebow. 143 wins and 97 losses along with 8 playoff appearances and 1 super bowl appearance. Had three coaches in 15 year period.

8. Seattle Seahawks---They had Hasselbeck,Wilson,Kitna,Wallace,Jackson. 132 wins and 108 losses along with 9 playoff appearances and 3 super bowl appearances with 1 title. Had three coaches in 15 year period.

9. New Orleans Saints--They had Brees,Brooks,Blake. 132 wins and 108 losses along with 6 playoff berths and 1 super bowl win. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

10. N.Y. Giants--They had Manning,Warner,Collins. 129 wins and 111 losses along with 7 playoff berths and 2 super bowl wins. Had two coaches in 15 year period.

These are the teams in the top tier who compete well and make the postseason most often.
patriots #1, as it should be on any thread like this.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been waiting for a long time for the Browns to turn things around. Although I don't see that happening w/ the current crap they have @ QB right now. I agree the Browns need to make QB a priority. The problem is the only thing they have done right since their return is making the wrong Draft Day decisions.

Yeah they had one of the best drafts in my opinion. Roster is actually looking good. Whoever built this roster is the same person i suspect that tried to draft Bridgewater but was blocked from doing so. If that GM is Farmer or whoever it is they are doing a fine job BUT the damn owner blocking the Bridgewater pick was killer. Had they drafted Bridgewater they'd be sitting good right now. Haslam pulled an Al Davis,Dan Synder,Bud Adams move and when owners get involved its usually gets screwed up.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many thanks for this, always great to look back on how things where for different teams.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they had one of the best drafts in my opinion. Roster is actually looking good. Whoever built this roster is the same person i suspect that tried to draft Bridgewater but was blocked from doing so. If that GM is Farmer or whoever it is they are doing a fine job BUT the damn owner blocking the Bridgewater pick was killer. Had they drafted Bridgewater they'd be sitting good right now. Haslam pulled an Al Davis,Dan Synder,Bud Adams move and when owners get involved its usually gets screwed up.

I was talking more about their draft history since their return & not so much this past draft. Still pisses me off though they didn't select a QB. I don't think any QB they currently have is the teams long term answer. just hoping for the best in 2015. Hell I'd be happy w/ an 8-8 record, although that's probably asking a bit much.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny as a fan to look at this.

15 years of a Viking fan being excited for the season to start....and almost 15 full years of being disappointed. My team is nearly undefeated at letting me down!

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking more about their draft history since their return & not so much this past draft. Still pisses me off though they didn't select a QB. I don't think any QB they currently have is the teams long term answer. just hoping for the best in 2015. Hell I'd be happy w/ an 8-8 record, although that's probably asking a bit much.

Yeah there were plenty of years looking back where they should've picked QB. The killer is 2014 though because they could've had Carr,Bridgewater,Garoppolo,Mettenberger,etc. 2013 wasn't a good year BUT you could've drafted Mike Glennon who ironically the Browns have tried to trade for but Bucs werent interested. 2012 they could've had Russell Wilson. 2011 Kaepernick or Dalton......I know from keeping up with things that the Browns have tried to get Glennon and Bradford so they are trying. Ownership should be kicking himself after last year.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny as a fan to look at this.

15 years of a Viking fan being excited for the season to start....and almost 15 full years of being disappointed. My team is nearly undefeated at letting me down!

I think Minnesota is another team that has drafted very well last few years. Vikes have good defense. The 7-9 Vikings lost like three games by two or three points each last year they easily could've been 10-6. With Peterson back,Wallace deep threat aquired,Bridgewater a year under his belt,etc. I think this year Minnesota will be second behind Green Bay and i think the Vikings make a wild card game.