• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm sorry, but OSU should not be in the NCG.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quirky idea. Instead of parsing tea leaves, breaking down computer ratings, guessing who "would" beat whom, and generally speculating, let the champion teams with the best records all play each other, and the one that wins gets the crown.

Why is this such a difficult concept?

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quirky idea. Instead of parsing tea leaves, breaking down computer ratings, guessing who "would" beat whom, and generally speculating, let the champion teams with the best records all play each other, and the one that wins gets the crown.

Why is this such a difficult concept?

I know. It is all about greedy executives.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. It is all about greedy executives.

One of the biggest problems is that no one controls scheduling. The NCAA allows each school and each conference to set up their own rules and procedures. So the SEC, for example, follows a formula in which the teams play 3 cupcakes OOC and only one decent team (in most cases), so that no one really knows in any given year how the SEC stacks up against the other conferences. The PAC 12, on the other hand plays a 9 game schedule, which automatically opens every team up for an extra loss. All of the conferences need to follow the same basic format. But of course, it's all about money, not competition.

So, any team that plays a tough nonconference schedule is punished. The formula is to play down, not play up.

Yes, it's greed and cowardice too. But when teams are rewarded for doing it, why wouldn't they?

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest problems is that no one controls scheduling. The NCAA allows each school and each conference to set up their own rules and procedures. So the SEC, for example, follows a formula in which the teams play 3 cupcakes OOC and only one decent team (in most cases), so that no one really knows in any given year how the SEC stacks up against the other conferences. The PAC 12, on the other hand plays a 9 game schedule, which automatically opens every team up for an extra loss. All of the conferences need to follow the same basic format. But of course, it's all about money, not competition.

So, any team that plays a tough nonconference schedule is punished. The formula is to play down, not play up.

Yes, it's greed and cowardice too. But when teams are rewarded for doing it, why wouldn't they?

Why not just have a pro-type schedule where OOC games are scheduled by the NCAA. 12 games and everyone gets 6 home and 6 road games. Yet, that would lose revenue from the teams that otherwise would get 8 home games at 80,000 seats each.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheduling is a big deal but its difficult to control all of that. You are asking demands on many universities that they probably won't be able to meet and thus creating an unfair advantages in some situations. Scheduling should remain at the university level when it comes to non conference. The conferences do a solid job aside from a few silly rules about "tradition" must plays. Yeah, its time to end that :bullshit:

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ummm WHY IS EVERYONE RAGGING ON OSU? I guess people really didn't watch them much this year.

IMO pretty damn good team and played great all year.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter. They are a BCS AQ team and they are undefeated.

If they win the CCG, they are in.

that's not how it works. they might still get in, but a BCS AQ team that is undefeated isn't guaranteed a spot, even if only 2 such teams exist.

if ohio state wins by 1 point and auburn wins by 30+, i'd expect auburn to jump ohio state.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

does the SEC's domination in the BCS title game and BCS bowls, as well as solid record against the other conferences during the regular season help you see how they stack up?

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you schedule your OOC games you usually have to do so 4-5 years down the road. When OSU scheduled with Cal they were decent. 5 years later and they blow. OSU doesn't have a crystal ball FFS.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Uhhhhhh -- Did you miss what conference 'my team' plays in??? I'm a Michigan fan. I'm the furthest from a SEC fan as you can get. Doesn't change the fact they are, by far, the best conference in college football and have been for almost a decade and will continue to be, as long as the SEC schools are smack in the middle of the most talent rich pool of players in the country. Also, up until a few years ago -- SEC teams took advantage of loop holes to oversign recruits and stash them away with medical redshirts and grey shirts and the top teams in the SEC are just deeper talent wise across the board.

That being said -- the B1G is embarrassing this year, even more so than in the last 4 or 5 years, when they have just been bad. OSU is the only team who should even sniff a top 10 ranking. MSU is a top 25 team, but they lost to Notre Dame for crying out loud. Michigan is a disaster. Wisconsin is average at best. Nebraska is a disaster. Penn State is a disaster. Outside of OSU and MSU, the only other halfway decent team in the B1G is Iowa.

As I said -- OSU fans want to talk about the winning streak, but they haven't played a quality team during the entire stretch. Boise State's winning streak was more impressive. At least they beat Oregon twice during their winning streak. THAT is why I said, I don't think they should be in the NCG. I know they will be if they end up undefeated, but I just don't feel they are one of the best two teams in the country.

Do you know what the actual chances are of a team winning 25 straight games? Maybe you could get a fourth grader to help you figure it out. But it's somewhere below 1 fucking percent. So yeah. We're going to brag about it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St deserves to be there if they beat Mich St. They will have done everything asked of them in a BCS AQ conference. It's as simple as that.

If you want to bash their schedule, don't forget Vandy backed out of games with Ohio St and Northwestern this season.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not just have a pro-type schedule where OOC games are scheduled by the NCAA. 12 games and everyone gets 6 home and 6 road games. Yet, that would lose revenue from the teams that otherwise would get 8 home games at 80,000 seats each.

Better idea is to bump about 60 teams out of FBS. If you don't have or can't fill a 80,000 seat stadium you should not be expecting the big boys to come to your house.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO at losing on a 100 yard field goal return with ONE second on the clock!

Funny how it took that to beat us huh, something that has happened like .001% of the time in the history of the game.

And still among the fans who post here, all you have heard is congrats to Auburn and some questions about a play or two in the game that had fishy refereeing, but not much in sour grapes. Seems Bama fans can lose with class as well as win with class.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Funny how it took that to beat us huh, something that has happened like .001% of the time in the history of the game.

I'm just messing with Bino. He wants to laugh at tOSU. I'm gonna laugh at Bama.

My guess would be less than the odds you stated. I didn't get to see any of the games live. Had to be at a wedding Saturday. That was a shocker though.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO@ 24-0 with zero wins over even a top 20 team.

so does losing on a last second 110 yard return and getting knocked out of the NC race increase or decrease your obsession with Ohio State?

:laugh3: