• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm not opposed to taking a QB in the 2nd this year

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his running ability is clutch, and he has proven for 2 years now that his running ability can beat GB

You need to watch more 49er games, you're waaaayy out of your league right now.

No disrespect but I'm going to ignore you now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kap was a 2nd rd pick, dalton was a 2nd rd pick.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank god you guys arent our GM. we have too many needs to draft a QB.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his running ability is clutch, and he has proven for 2 years now that his running ability can beat GB

You need to watch more 49er games, you're waaaayy out of your league right now.

No disrespect but I'm going to ignore you now.

So his running ability hasn't killed the Packers? Which is clearly what I stated.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player available is it? I agree we have a lot of other needs first, why not use some of the picks we have in the first three rounds and get a stud receiver and/or corner?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player available is it? I agree we have a lot of other needs first, why not use some of the picks we have in the first three rounds and get a stud receiver and/or corner?

What does that have to do with anything? We have a 5 naybe 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
QBs drafted from 55 - 75 (not intended to be backups). I'll add some commentary where I can.

Brock Osweiller (57th) - drafted to backup Peyton Manning
Russel Wilson (75th) - drafted to backup Flynn, stole the show at training camp
Ryan Malett (74th) - drafted to backup Tom Brady
Chad Henne (57th) - drafted to start in Miami
Tarvaris Jackson (64th) - drafted with hope of being able to start - didn't really work out
Charlie Frye (67) - drafted to start in Cleveland - didn't work out
Andrew Walter (69) - drafted to start in Oakland - didn't work out
Marques Tuiasosoppo - drafted to backup and eventually replace Rich Gannon
Chris Redman - drafted to start in Baltimore

That covers the drafts from 2000 to 2012. There have been 9 QBs drafted between 55th and 75th overall. We can add Quincy Carter (53rd) to round it up to 10 overall QBs.

Over that span exactly ONE of ten QBs has even hinted at being "reliable starter" forget "franchise QB." That player is Russel Wilson, who was actually drafted to be a backup.

Furthermore, the teams that drafted guys to be starters are the Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens (who also employed Elvis Grbac and Trent Dilfer and Tony Banks at that time).

I don't think we can say a QB drafted in the late 2nd round range should be a franchise guy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just don't think Kaep is that good, I'm sorry.

San Francisco has a great team, and a good coach. If they had a QB that could open it up in the passing game, they'd be the best team in the NFL.

Sorry, I must have mumbled. I'll try again.

You would draft a QB in the 2nd round because Newton isn't that good and Green Bay was banged up?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If we have 5 picks in those rounds, why does getting a WR and a CB rule out getting a QB as well?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I must have mumbled. I'll try again.

You would draft a QB in the 2nd round because Newton isn't that good and Green Bay was banged up?

This guy is out of his element. Im not sure he knows what he's saying, let alone him knowing what your saying to him.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners are in a position to draft the BPA, and also have the luxury of having a ton of picks in the first three rounds (comp picks pending)... On top of that, the Niners are one hit away from having Colt McCoy as the starter... Why wouldn't you consider a strong QB if they were indeed available?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my perspective.....for whatever it's worth.

---We are the deepest roster from top to bottom in the NFL. We took players others couldn't or wouldn't because we could effectively redshirt them (Lattimore and Tank)
---We have a ton of draft picks again. It will be tough for all of them to stick or contribute. UDFAs have virtually no chance. At least three guys from our camp this year played significant time on other rosters (Thomas, Cooper, Gray)

All that being said, winning the SB could dramatically affect our roster. Plus we have some tough FA decisions as well. If we win SB some guys will want to cash in and some guys may want to hang it up.

Here are players to think about (not saying I want them or not but they need to be considered).

Potential retirees:
--Boldin. He wins two SBs in a row, why not?
--Gore. He'd think it over.
--Goodwin. Already hinting at it.
--The Cowboy. Ride off into the sunset?
--Dawson. Said he plays until his family says no more. They don't live in CA.

Key FAs or dudes needing contracts in near future:
--Iupati
--Aldon
--Kaep
--Crabby
--T Brown

Salary issues may lead to their departure:
--Manny. Gone. He was disappointing anyway.
--Whitner. Dude's only 28. He wants to get paid one more time for sure.
--Rogers

I probably missed someone but that's 12 key contributors in addition to consideration of a second QB.....Colt has zero value. He couldn't even keep track of Kaep's wristband for him. ;)

I'm guessing 6/12 are gone for sure. Which ones....no one knows. It's a business.

Plus there will be some surprises and injuries that crop up as well.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have 5 picks in those rounds, why does getting a WR and a CB rule out getting a QB as well?

I'm just wondering with all those picks, why not trade up to get someone Baalke may really like, like he did with Eric Reid this last draft?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're talking about the draft, after watching Keenan Allen this season, especially today, damn, I wish we had somehow gotten him.