• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm not opposed to taking a QB in the 2nd this year

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So you want to piss off the guy we are going to try to sign to an extension this offseason or next? Don't think that is the best plan. Taking a QB in the 2nd sends a clear message that it is more important to find a possible replacement than getting him more weapons.

no matter which 7-8 players you draft, 7-8 vets will get pissed off. initially, they get pissed off but eventually, they know how the NFL works.

in the case of QB and round 1 or 2, obviously it is someone Baalke and Harbaugh project as franchise. nothing against Kaep, but you never know year to year such as injury? at very least, we need a quality back-up so Kaep has more options to run.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep playing at lil ol' Nevada and having to transition to the league is no small task... I will say that I criticized him earlier in the season for worrying more about his physical attributes as well putting an emphasis on social media and being a celebrity... I thought he was not putting enough work in the film room or reviewing defenses during in game situations... But, over the last two months I have seen him far more frequently going over and reviewing still shots with coaches! Instead of just sitting or playing around with teammates, he is now doing the little things to get better... I still don't know how much time he is putting in the film room, but I have to assume he is spending more time in there... I've noticed he has a better pocket awareness this last month or so, and is even finding some of his check-down recievers... I think he is getting better at being a professional QB, and I am happy to eat crow on my crytisism...

That said, he is still far from being polished or a finished project...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just want an 'SC guy on the Niners... can't say I blame you... and this Lee could be pretty good.

I do but its more that I know those SC players but not most other college players. I think Lee will be very, very good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep playing at lil ol' Nevada and having to transition to the league is no small task... I will say that I criticized him earlier in the season for worrying more about his physical attributes as well putting an emphasis on social media and being a celebrity... I thought he was not putting enough work in the film room or reviewing defenses during in game situations... But, over the last two months I have seen him far more frequently going over and reviewing still shots with coaches! Instead of just sitting or playing around with teammates, he is now doing the little things to get better... I still don't know how much time he is putting in the film room, but I have to assume he is spending more time in there... I've noticed he has a better pocket awareness this last month or so, and is even finding some of his check-down recievers... I think he is getting better at being a professional QB, and I am happy to eat crow on my crytisism...

That said, he is still far from being polished or a finished project...

agree, he was playing poorly at spots during the regular season, but picked it up at the end. Kaep gets extra kudos for then doing it in these play-off games.

if you isolate his play from the team, he isn't a consistent, quality passer.....yet. we need him to be a quality passer first, that's just the way the NFL is set-up now.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, he was playing poorly at spots during the regular season, but picked it up at the end. Kaep gets extra kudos for then doing it in these play-off games.

if you isolate his play from the team, he isn't a consistent, quality passer.....yet. we need him to be a quality passer first, that's just the way the NFL is set-up now.

You guys do know that the thread had nothing to do with Kaep, right?

And no, there is no qb in this draft that ANYONE (from a niner standpoint) would value enough for a 1st.

Looking for a quality backup WILL start in the 2nd, if a good enough value falls to us there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys do know that the thread had nothing to do with Kaep, right?

And no, there is no qb in this draft that ANYONE (from a niner standpoint) would value enough for a 1st.

Looking for a quality backup WILL start in the 2nd, if a good enough value falls to us there.

I do, but the responses are "what's wrong with Kaep"?

will agree the odds are very low, but don't agree its zero.

why is good value ok round 2, but not round 1? remember, I said franchise, not any 'ol back-up QB. but if we draft this guy, he'll likely be a back-up to start.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These same coaches waived McCown. They didn't like what he brought two years ago.
McCown had no chance of making that squad. Alex was going to be the starter. Kaep had just been taken in the second, he wasnt going anywhere. Then there was Tolzein, that looked like a very promising prospect. McCown had no shot in making that team.

Now after showing he still is a value to a franchise I think the Niners, with a horrible back up situation, would love to get there hands on McCown, as would most teams.
That said I'll admit its highly unlikely this happens. Its what I hope they will do. Mentor role needs to be filled. I have a hard time finding that guy in free agency. But if they are willing to trade picks for McCoy, maybe they are willing to trade for a guy like McCown.

As far as picking a guy in the 2nd. I have no problem with this, either. Kaep is the guy, we need a good back up either for a trade or if things dont work out with Kaep. Always good to have a back up plan.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm almost of that mind that your backup QB is the 2nd more important position on your team.Right now, this teams hopes rely solely on CK. I'm always up for bringing in someone reliable to fill that role. I'm not sure there is going to be anybody in the 2nd round that I would take. If Bortles or Manziel some slipped that far I would jump at either opportunity. If we're going to pick someone up in round 2 they have to be worth it.

Hopefully we can add at least one QB through the draft this year and get someone for Harbaugh and his staff to start grooming.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do, but the responses are "what's wrong with Kaep"?

will agree the odds are very low, but don't agree its zero.

why is good value ok round 2, but not round 1? remember, I said franchise, not any 'ol back-up QB. but if we draft this guy, he'll likely be a back-up to start.

Because in the 1st you want a franchise PLAYER keep your team relevant.
Beacause in dradt rooms you have a list of players that you rank from top to bottom, position doesn't matter. In this years 1st round there will be no qb that ranks higher than a cb or wr that is within our reach.

Get it?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown had no chance of making that squad. Alex was going to be the starter. Kaep had just been taken in the second, he wasnt going anywhere. Then there was Tolzein, that looked like a very promising prospect. McCown had no shot in making that team.

Now after showing he still is a value to a franchise I think the Niners, with a horrible back up situation, would love to get there hands on McCown, as would most teams.
That said I'll admit its highly unlikely this happens. Its what I hope they will do. Mentor role needs to be filled. I have a hard time finding that guy in free agency. But if they are willing to trade picks for McCoy, maybe they are willing to trade for a guy like McCown.

As far as picking a guy in the 2nd. I have no problem with this, either. Kaep is the guy, we need a good back up either for a trade or if things dont work out with Kaep. Always good to have a back up plan.

There is no proof that McCoy is so horrible and that McCown is so much better, McCown had a few good games. Those are the only of his career.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm almost of that mind that your backup QB is the 2nd more important position on your team.Right now, this teams hopes rely solely on CK. I'm always up for bringing in someone reliable to fill that role. I'm not sure there is going to be anybody in the 2nd round that I would take. If Bortles or Manziel some slipped that far I would jump at either opportunity. If we're going to pick someone up in round 2 they have to be worth it.

Hopefully we can add at least one QB through the draft this year and get someone for Harbaugh and his staff to start grooming.

I agree. I'm also enamoured with Mettenberger, he was in the discussion for top qb before tearing his acl.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no proof that McCoy is so horrible and that McCown is so much better, McCown had a few good games. Those are the only of his career.
He looked much better than McCoy ever has in his career. Better arm, anticipates throws, throws his Wr's open, Trusts his receivers to make a play. Granted his Wr's were much, much better, But I am willing to say that McCoy is not near as comfortable as McCown is at QB in the NFL.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked much better than McCoy ever has in his career. Better arm, anticipates throws, throws his Wr's open, Trusts his receivers to make a play. Granted his Wr's were much, much better, But I am willing to say that McCoy is not near as comfortable as McCown is at QB in the NFL.

What games are you basing this observation on? Did you come up with this based on that Thursday night Bears vs Cowboys? Is so, I advise you get a bigger sample size before making "a matter of fact" statments.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How 'bout Connor Shaw in the later rounds? He only threw 1 pick all season this year to 24 TDs.

I haven't exactly lit the world on fire with my let's-take-a-flyer-on-this-late-round-QB picks in the last decade (I liked Cody Pickett & Mike Teel a lot), but maybe if he's there in the 6th round?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How 'bout Connor Shaw in the later rounds? He only threw 1 pick all season this year to 24 TDs.

I haven't exactly lit the world on fire with my let's-take-a-flyer-on-this-late-round-QB picks in the last decade (I liked Cody Pickett & Mike Teel a lot), but maybe if he's there in the 6th round?

I like Shaw, I think a lack of playmakers hurt his stock. He could have great value late.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What games are you basing this observation on? Did you come up with this based on that Thursday night Bears vs Cowboys? Is so, I advise you get a bigger sample size before making "a matter of fact" statments.
I watched at few games with McCown at QB. I saw him consistently do all of the things I stated.

Last edited by a moderator:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't spend that high of a pick on a guy this year but if Kaep leaves then they'll be picking high the following year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what Harbs thinks of Boyd. If he goes in third/fourth I could live with that.