• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we are being honest about it, DeVonta Smith is going to establish himself as the best WR in the league within the next 3 years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did less with his targets? He had more receptions with less targets.
To catch Brown in yards and TD's - he'd have to average 30 yards a catch over those 9 targets and score TD's on half those catches....

His catch rate was better, but your statement that Smith was hurt by splitting targets with another WR is false....and at a nearly 50/50 split with another guy - had less yards and less TD.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To catch Brown in yards and TD's - he'd have to average 30 yards a catch over those 9 targets and score TD's on half those catches....

His catch rate was better, but your statement that Smith was hurt by splitting targets with another WR is false....and at a nearly 50/50 split with another guy - had less yards and less TD.

Being used in a different way. Also they were definitely focusing on AJ more early in the year to get him acclimated in the offense. That really makes DeVonta's year all the more impressive when he didn't have a catch week 1 but still had the numbers for the season he did.

If we look at the final 6 games of the season though, their numbers were pretty even.

AJ: 35 rec, 665 yards & 4 TDs
DeVonta: 39 rec, 587 yards & 4 TDs.

A d the you have the recent playoff game which wasn't factored into those above numbers.

AJ: 3 rec, 22 yards & 0 TD
DeVonta: 6 rec, 61 yards and 1 TD

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being used in a different way. Also they were definitely focusing on AJ more early in the year to get him acclimated in the offense. That really makes DeVonta's year all the more impressive when he didn't have a catch week 1 but still had the numbers for the season he did.

If we look at the final 6 games of the season though, their numbers were pretty even.

A d the you have the recent playoff game which wasn't factored into those above numbers.

yeah. Its nice to be the #2. Since we watched him do shit as a #1. :D

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, again - your argument that Smith has to split reps with anther guy is full of crap - he's getting MORE than enough targets....

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. Its nice to be the #2. Since we watched him do shit as a #1. :D
Smith had a great rookie year. He broke the franchise record for rookie receiving yards. What are you talking about?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith had a great rookie year. He broke the franchise record for rookie receiving yards. What are you talking about?
he's not comparing him to other eagles. He is comparing him to the whole NFL.
64 catches for 916 yds & 5 TDs isnt special. So of course he has looked better being the #2 guy, instead of the #1 guy.
his 2 years combined is no where near being top three in the league LOL
Next year with him being the #2 WR for him to make the gains to be considered top three would mean the Eagles had 2 of the top three WRs

I enjoy this thread. Since it is very comical to me. :becky:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You enjoy this thread by watching Smith climb up towards the top WRs in the league?

That is comical.

Still a full year to go and the Eagles didn't even have AJ when the original claim was made. It's harder to be top 3 as a young guy when your team already has a top 5 wr, but Smith is still on his way there. Reggie Wayne or Torry Holt could be careers for you to study to learn more about this comedy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's not comparing him to other eagles. He is comparing him to the whole NFL.
64 catches for 916 yds & 5 TDs isnt special. So of course he has looked better being the #2 guy, instead of the #1 guy.
his 2 years combined is no where near being top three in the league LOL
Next year with him being the #2 WR for him to make the gains to be considered top three would mean the Eagles had 2 of the top three WRs

I’m just responding to you saying that he was shit as a number 1 WR. He wasn’t.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have trauma from Howie’s WR misses. Right now, my WR room should be DK Metcalf (took JJ Arciega Whiteside instead) and Justin Jefferson (took Jalen Reagor instead). Devonta Smith should be Micah Parsons and the pick that was traded for AJ Brown could have been a late 1st round CB or pass rusher. I’ll give Howie credit for fixing his mistakes but it’s fair to note that he created the problem he had to fix.
My opinion on Howie for years has been that he has done a poor job in general with the draft but has the best trade resume’ in the league. His trades have just been fantastic for years now

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion on Howie for years has been that he has done a poor job in general with the draft but has the best trade resume’ in the league. His trades have just been fantastic for years now
Very fair.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that's somewhat fair. I do think he drafts pretty well when it comes to the trenches but there have been some big misses at the skill positions that skew his resume downward. Despite the early success with Wentz, that turned into a debacle but he did well to unload him and move on. That move and the subsequent move off of it landed them Smith and got the Wentz cancer out of the building so Hurts could blossom into what he is now. It seems obvious to us now but it was a very shrewd trade and Howie deserves credit.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that's somewhat fair. I do think he drafts pretty well when it comes to the trenches but there have been some big misses at the skill positions that skew his resume downward. Despite the early success with Wentz, that turned into a debacle but he did well to unload him and move on. That move and the subsequent move off of it landed them Smith and got the Wentz cancer out of the building so Hurts could blossom into what he is now. It seems obvious to us now but it was a very shrewd trade and Howie deserves credit.
There has been talk around here in Philly that some of the more egregious draft reaches were actually Jeff Lurie getting involved. This has been said about the JJAW and Raegor picks. Who knows what is true. Howie does seem to have positional success with draft picks. WR pre Devonta Smith has been a black hole of failure.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't there some 'kick the can' sentiments a few years back about the Eagles salary cap?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't there some 'kick the can' sentiments a few years back about the Eagles salary cap?
Yeah, he also sucks at the cap. But I thought everyone knew that. Trading Wentz and other guys (Bradford?) luckily cleared up a lot of the cap problems but I don't think that was the plan when they signed him do you? Look at some current guys. Brandon Graham is a potential free agent and almost half of his cap hit hasn't hit yet. Similar thing with Cox, Hargrave and Kelce and you have $10M from Brooks still. He kicks the can into the next town. Slay is on the last year of his deal and will be restructured I'm sure. That will probably lead to between his current dead money after 2023 of $14M and up to a total of $30M depending on how much they convert

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he also sucks at the cap. But I thought everyone knew that. Trading Wentz and other guys (Bradford?) luckily cleared up a lot of the cap problems but I don't think that was the plan when they signed him do you? Look at some current guys. Brandon Graham is a potential free agent and almost half of his cap hit hasn't hit yet. Similar thing with Cox, Hargrave and Kelce and you have $10M from Brooks still. He kicks the can into the next town. Slay is on the last year of his deal and will be restructured I'm sure. That will probably lead to between his current dead money after 2023 of $14M and up to a total of $30M depending on how much they convert
I disagree with this sentiment because I don’t anticipate a big change in NFL cap rules. Howie’s model is based on the cap still growing. He gets a boon in the near future as word is that there will be big bump coming in the next collective bargaining agreement. There’s nothing that will keep him from being able to continue to kick the can down the road. You seem to think he’s one of the worst cap managers out there when the opposite is likely due. He continues to rob Peter with his system while never having to pay Paul. During his tenure, the Eagles have never been handcuffed by the cap for anymore than a year. I believe that’s actually happened only twice.

Howie faces a new challenge on the horizon. His QB is about to get paid. Like most franchises, the Eagles have had their greatest success when they’ve had a cheap QB on their first deal. Howie hasn’t crafted a championship level roster yet without the benefit of a cheaper QB on a rookie deal.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this sentiment because I don’t anticipate a big change in NFL cap rules. Howie’s model is based on the cap still growing. He gets a boon in the near future as word is that there will be big bump coming in the next collective bargaining agreement. There’s nothing that will keep him from being able to continue to kick the can down the road. You seem to think he’s one of the worst cap managers out there when the opposite is likely due. He continues to rob Peter with his system while never having to pay Paul. During his tenure, the Eagles have never been handcuffed by the cap for anymore than a year. I believe that’s actually happened only twice.

Howie faces a new challenge on the horizon. His QB is about to get paid. Like most franchises, the Eagles have had their greatest success when they’ve had a cheap QB on their first deal. Howie hasn’t crafted a championship level roster yet without the benefit of a cheaper QB on a rookie deal.
The thing is, as we mostly know now, you likely are correct about the cap jump and cleaning up the mess, but he started this before that. I guess he obviously knew the dates of the agreements and assumed there would be a big bump. But the degree to which he has done this is the issue. I only looked at few guys. I'm sure there are others. Most importantly, IMO, you don't take the chance of a what if scenario. What if it doesn't increase significantly for some reason? I don't want to get into Covid talk here, but that derailed a season's cap. Who knows what the next thing could be. I just think you want your GM handling your cap like a seasoned fund manager who takes risks, but not like some of these coked up millennials throwing darts at a dart board.