• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we are being honest about it, DeVonta Smith is going to establish himself as the best WR in the league within the next 3 years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, as we mostly know now, you likely are correct about the cap jump and cleaning up the mess, but he started this before that. I guess he obviously knew the dates of the agreements and assumed there would be a big bump. But the degree to which he has done this is the issue. I only looked at few guys. I'm sure there are others. Most importantly, IMO, you don't take the chance of a what if scenario. What if it doesn't increase significantly for some reason? I don't want to get into Covid talk here, but that derailed a season's cap. Who knows what the next thing could be. I just think you want your GM handling your cap like a seasoned fund manager who takes risks, but not like some of these coked up millennials throwing darts at a dart board.
I just think that you’re comparing two different games with different sets of rules when you invoke a fund manager. The fund situation is much more volatile. The cap situation is far more steady and predictable in its growth. The ultimate goal is to field a competitive team by keeping effective players that are still in the fold under contract while also having the flexibility to use FA to plug holes. In that regard, Roseman does a great job. My biggest issue with him (and maybe it’s his whole office) has been his evaluation of players being spotty. That’s seen in the draft record as well as some of the FA signings.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is eternal. This isn't some low level player overachieving. It's well within the bounds of possibility that DeVonta Smith eventually surpasses AJ Brown. He is an elite blue chip talent drafted 10th overall in the draft.
Who's saying he's a low level player?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is a cap master that has his team back at the top of the league when dallas fan losers around here said the cap would kill us.

Now I remember @jarntt was embarrassed on these forums years ago on this very topic :pound:

And now that it has all played out. Now that the Eagles fans and Howie were proven correct. He is still acting as stupid as he was then. :pound:

After @jarntt and his cowboy misfit buddies declared the Eagles to be in cap hell, Howie really rubbed it in jarntt's face.

Howie:
- Paid a top free agent DT
- Resigned his own now 11-sack young DE
- Traded for and paid a top WR
- Traded for and paid a top CB
- Paid his top LT that he drafted at the end of the draft
- Paid his young TE
- Paid a top free agent pass rusher

Howie is a cap master. Jarntt is a loser and clearly knows nothing about managing the cap.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is a cap master that has his team back at the top of the league when dallas fan losers around here said the cap would kill us.

Now I remember @jarntt was embarrassed on these forums years ago on this very topic :pound:

And now that it has all played out. Now that the Eagles fans and Howie were proven correct. He is still acting as stupid as he was then. :pound:

After @jarntt and his cowboy misfit buddies declared the Eagles to be in cap hell, Howie really rubbed it in jarntt's face.

Howie:
- Paid his young TE

Howie is a cap master. Jarntt is a loser and clearly knows nothing about managing the cap.
Funding two teams stupid enough to trade for Bradford and Wentz doesn't make Howie a cap genius, it means he found to idiots to bail his dumb ass out.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funding two teams stupid enough to trade for Bradford and Wentz doesn't make Howie a cap genius, it means he found to idiots to bail his dumb ass out.
Bradford he preyed upon desperate. That’s a savvy move. That only happens because dude was lost for the season. And with Wentz they traded an asset at the right time. Eagles nut is right. Howie is a master at the cap.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford he preyed upon desperate. That’s a savvy move. That only happens because dude was lost for the season. And with Wentz they traded an asset at the right time. Eagles nut is right. Howie is a master at the cap.
You're wrong. Everyone said the Vikings were stupid for trading for Bradford and they all siad Indy was stupid for trading for Wentz.

Only readon the Eagles didn’t hit cap hell is Howie was saved by other GMs stupidity.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong. Everyone said the Vikings were stupid for trading for Bradford and they all siad Indy was stupid for trading for Wentz.

Only readon the Eagles didn’t hit cap hell is Howie was saved by other GMs stupidity.
I hope that’s what the Cowboys organization believes. It stands to reason they’ll still have to shed players like Cooper from their roster.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Howie:
- Paid his young TE

If you don't understand simple math, I can't help you

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that’s what the Cowboys organization believes. It stands to reason they’ll still have to shed players like Cooper from their roster.
They didn't "have" to shed Cooper. They did it because it was the right move and he wasn't worth his cap hit. After years and years of doing what Howie does which eventually handcuffed them, they are proactive now at times (and other times foolish) with the cap which is important for long term cap health. They are setting themselves up to be able to sign all of their good young players. The Cowboys problem with regards to the cap the past decade has been overpaying their own. There is always another player out there. If a guy wants too much just let him go. This is where Howie excels but he is foolish with the cap

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't "have" to shed Cooper. They did it because it was the right move and he wasn't worth his cap hit. After years and years of doing what Howie does which eventually handcuffed them, they are proactive now at times (and other times foolish) with the cap which is important for long term cap health. They are setting themselves up to be able to sign all of their good young players. The Cowboys problem with regards to the cap the past decade has been overpaying their own. There is always another player out there. If a guy wants too much just let him go. This is where Howie excels but he is foolish with the cap
They’ve paid the Piper before. They paid it when they transitioned from Chip Kelly to Doug Pederson. They did it again in the last year of Pederson. They won a Super Bowl in 2017. They’re in the NFC Championship game in 2022. I think it’s fair to say that the Eagles formula works. Look at the way all of this worked out. You’re telling me that the Cowboys wouldn’t have increased the likelihood they’re playing this weekend with Cooper on their team this year?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ve paid the Piper before. They paid it when they transitioned from Chip Kelly to Doug Pederson. They did it again in the last year of Pederson. They won a Super Bowl in 2017. They’re in the NFC Championship game in 2022. I think it’s fair to say that the Eagles formula works. Look at the way all of this worked out. You’re telling me that the Cowboys wouldn’t have increased the likelihood they’re playing this weekend with Cooper on their team this year?
And paying the piper is exactly what I'm saying. No one is saying you will never get out from under the cap issues that will come just that they will come. If you win a SB it will obviously be worth it. If you don't, it won't be. Finishing 2nd or 4th is no better than 8th IMO.

On Cooper, possibly, but he had like 800 yards last year and also burned some bridges. The Cowboys thought Gallup would be as good or at least close to as good and younger and cheaper, but he never seemed to get right after the injury. They also drafted a WR in the 3rd round that I'm guessing they thought would at least be active on game day. It was absolutely the right move to let Cooper go. That doesn't mean bringing in a different receiver before the season wasn't also the right move. The Cowboys weren't looking at 2022 as a SB season. Giving another $20M to Cooper would have been a mistake. The cap concern was never 2022. It was going forward. If keeping Cooper this year meant they can't tag Pollard next year it would speak for itself.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And paying the piper is exactly what I'm saying. No one is saying you will never get out from under the cap issues that will come just that they will come. If you win a SB it will obviously be worth it. If you don't, it won't be. Finishing 2nd or 4th is no better than 8th IMO.

On Cooper, possibly, but he had like 800 yards last year and also burned some bridges. The Cowboys thought Gallup would be as good or at least close to as good and younger and cheaper, but he never seemed to get right after the injury. They also drafted a WR in the 3rd round that I'm guessing they thought would at least be active on game day. It was absolutely the right move to let Cooper go. That doesn't mean bringing in a different receiver before the season wasn't also the right move. The Cowboys weren't looking at 2022 as a SB season. Giving another $20M to Cooper would have been a mistake. The cap concern was never 2022. It was going forward. If keeping Cooper this year meant they can't tag Pollard next year it would speak for itself.
I don’t man. If the Eagles season ends on Sunday, I’ll still think it’s a hell of a ride. Additionally, the key pieces to build around are already under contract save Hurts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t man. If the Eagles season ends on Sunday, I’ll still think it’s a hell of a ride. Additionally, the key pieces to build around are already under contract save Hurts.
For the future part I totally agree with you. But I mean just for any given year. Losing in the Divisional round versus NFC Championship round isn't all that different to me. Yeah, each win is a high and an accomplishment, but you still go out a loser if you don't win it all :2cents:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the future part I totally agree with you. But I mean just for any given year. Losing in the Divisional round versus NFC Championship round isn't all that different to me. Yeah, each win is a high and an accomplishment, but you still go out a loser if you don't win it all :2cents:
Ok…but I’m gonna hold you to that standard

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't understand how those two trades tremendously helped the Eagles cap situation?
You are are dense.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't understand simple math, I can't help you
It is simple math. Simple math combined with timing. That's what Howie knows and you don't have a clue about.

Every offseason you say the same thing and every offseason you are proven wrong by reality.

The following is irrefutable...
Howie:
- Paid his young TE

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't understand how those two trades tremendously helped the Eagles cap situation?
You are are dense.
Sure I do. You’re just looking at in some sort of disqualifying light to declare Howie as being a shitty cap manager. I’m seeing the whole big picture in a guy holding on to Bradford with the knowledge that there is often a desperate team that has a QB go down in camp. In that year, it was Teddy Bridgewater. And if you look at the Wentz contract it was already a hedge. They quit on an asset while it still had value not too far removed from his play in 2017. I don’t see these things as disqualifying when you look at the guy’s work since 2003 manipulating the cap.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I do. You’re just looking at in some sort of disqualifying light to declare Howie as being a shitty cap manager. I’m seeing the whole big picture in a guy holding on to Bradford with the knowledge that there is often a desperate team that has a QB go down in camp. In that year, it was Teddy Bridgewater. And if you look at the Wentz contract it was already a hedge. They quit on an asset while it still had value not too far removed from his play in 2017. I don’t see these things as disqualifying when you look at the guy’s work since 2003 manipulating the cap.
I'm not looking at any kind of light. I pointing out FACTS.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford was the starter. Wentz ended up starting week one with zero practice with the first team offense. Howie is not just a cap genius he is also a master at loading the QB room. Those years he signed Chase Daniels to big backup dollars, traded for Bradford and drafted Wentz. A few years later he wins the Superbowl with his next backup QB. With the pick Howie got for Bradford he drafted the fumble recoverer that sealed his Super Bowl victory. Total mastery. Here we are 8 years later still benefitting from all the cap wizardry.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok…but I’m gonna hold you to that standard
Listen, this year was a "success" for the Cowboys based on expectations and their talent level and especially after losing their QB for over a month. Making the playoffs and even winning a playoff game was more than expected but it rings hollow right now.

Are you actually going to say that after you have said that the Eagles are the best team and can't be beat unless they beat themselves that you are going to feel good about this season if they lose this week? I don't buy it.