• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we are being honest about it, DeVonta Smith is going to establish himself as the best WR in the league within the next 3 years.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. By no means does this mean Smith is a bust. But absurd to think, based on these returns, he can be the 3rd best WR in the NFL - as the OP suggests.

Based on these returns? He has had a very good rookie season. He's only going to get better. He deserves to be targeted more and he will be going forward into next year, there is no doubt about that.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on these returns? He has had a very good rookie season. He's only going to get better. He deserves to be targeted more and he will be going forward into next year, there is no doubt about that.
I have no problem with these statements (though I think it should be "a good rookie season", not "a very good"). But there is still no indication that he will ever be top 3 in the league.
His size remains an issue.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with these statements (though I think it should be "a good rookie season", not "a very good"). But there is still no indication that he will ever be top 3 in the league.
His size remains an issue.

His size has proven to be zero issue this season.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His size has proven to be zero issue this season.
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

.........except for when he has a defender contesting the catch, or getting clean off of the line against a press.........other than that.........np!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Based on these returns. Remember, the goal is top 3 in the NFL - not just having a "very good" rookie year. Chase blows him away. Waddle Blows him away. He's barely 3rd in his own draft class, and likely 4th if you include the TE (PItts).

This isn't a knock on him - he's been good. Not great. For a top 10 pick, I think they expected, and should expect, better production from his YAC, especially due to his skillset and slight frame/weight, and his catch rate.

What he's shown this year, is that he's a good WR. However, nothing he's done this year points to being a top 3 WR in the league within 3 years.

After this year - if you asked would Smith be a top 10 pick again if they re-drafted - I think the consensus answer would 100% be "No". For a guy you claim will be top 3 in the NFL - that doesn't bode well.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Based on these returns. Remember, the goal is top 3 in the NFL - not just having a "very good" rookie year. Chase blows him away. Waddle Blows him away. He's barely 3rd in his own draft class, and likely 4th if you include the TE (PItts).

This isn't a knock on him - he's been good. Not great. For a top 10 pick, I think they expected, and should expect, better production from his YAC, especially due to his skillset and slight frame/weight, and his catch rate.

What he's shown this year, is that he's a good WR. However, nothing he's done this year points to being a top 3 WR in the league within 3 years.

After this year - if you asked would Smith be a top 10 pick again if they re-drafted - I think the consensus answer would 100% be "No". For a guy you claim will be top 3 in the NFL - that doesn't bode well.

Waddle does not blow him away. His YPR is awful.

DeVonta Smith will be a top 3 WR in the NFL within 3 years and there is no doubt about it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DeVonta Smith will be a top 3 WR in the NFL within 3 years and there is no doubt about it.
He wouldn't even be top 3 on the Bengals...LOL

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet somehow still blows him away in YAC and in reception rate, and beats him in YPG.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet somehow still blows him away in YAC and in reception rate, and beats him in YPG.

Because they feed him the ball at and around the line of scrimmage. Nothing impressive about his high volume usage. The YPR is really bad.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they feed him the ball at and around the line of scrimmage. Nothing impressive about his high volume usage. The YPR is really bad.
Yes, but every other metric is better. YAC, reception rate, total yards - if you don't want to say Waddle blows him out of the water, fine...I can concede that, but Waddle is still > Smith.

Smith is having a nice rookie year - and looks like he could develop into a nice WR - but he's got to climb about 30 other WR's in the NFL, several in his own draft class, before he'll be top 3. It also hurts that the 1 thing Smith is supposed to be elite at (getting open, YAC) he's not...he's 110th in the NFL. That's not a good sign.

I think in 3 years he's more likely to end up like a slot guy than a top 3 guy.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

only in your eyes. he's having a good season for a rookie but he only ranks around #30 among all receivers and overall both Chase and Waddle are well ahead of him

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you nitpick to suit your argument choosing 1 stat and totally ignoring any that don't support your argument

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but every other metric is better. YAC, reception rate, total yards - if you don't want to say Waddle blows him out of the water, fine...I can concede that, but Waddle is still > Smith.

Smith is having a nice rookie year - and looks like he could develop into a nice WR - but he's got to climb about 30 other WR's in the NFL, several in his own draft class, before he'll be top 3. It also hurts that the 1 thing Smith is supposed to be elite at (getting open, YAC) he's not...he's 110th in the NFL. That's not a good sign.

I think in 3 years he's more likely to end up like a slot guy than a top 3 guy.

They are feeding Waddle the ball at or around the LOS. These are plays designed for YAC. On my life strike me down right now dead if I'm lying I would 100% take Smith over Waddle.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are feeding Waddle the ball at or around the LOS. These are plays designed for YAC. On my life strike me down right now dead if I'm lying I would 100% take Smith over Waddle.
And the only reason Smith has a good YPC is because when he fails to get open, Hurts is able to extend plays - no DB, no matter how good he is, can cover a WR for 4-5-6 seconds. Eventually, he's going to get open. That says more about Hurts' ability to extend plays than it does about Smith.

And what that really says about Waddle is that - he's able to get open after the LOS catch, where as Smith cannot and relies on broken plays far too much, as evident by his poor YAC.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you nitpick to suit your argument choosing 1 stat and totally ignoring any that don't support your argument
Yep. I already know how this plays out, but I'm bored - work is very slow this time of year, so I'm just filling my time...LOL

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the only reason Smith has a good YPC is because when he fails to get open, Hurts is able to extend plays - no DB, no matter how good he is, can cover a WR for 4-5-6 seconds. Eventually, he's going to get open. That says more about Hurts' ability to extend plays than it does about Smith.

And what that really says about Waddle is that - he's able to get open after the LOS catch, where as Smith cannot and relies on broken plays far too much, as evident by his poor YAC.

DeVonta isn't failing to get open. There are endless breakdowns with coaches camera for each game out there showing that DeVonta is routinely getting open. You're speaking completely ignorantly on something you have no idea about.

Eagles not trying to run an offense where DeVonta gets fed the ball at the LOS like they do Waddle. Those aren't the routes they have DeVonta running.

You have NO idea what you are talking about.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeVonta isn't failing to get open. There are endless breakdowns with coaches camera for each game out there showing that DeVonta is routinely getting open. You're speaking completely ignorantly on something you have no idea about.

Eagles not trying to run an offense where DeVonta gets fed the ball at the LOS like they do Waddle. Those aren't the routes they have DeVonta running.

Same with every team in the NFL. This does nothing to support your argument as Waddle too has been open and the QB missed it.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Utter bullshit. DeVonta isn't magically open all of the time. We've seen the videos. His seperation rate doesn't seem to be greater than many other WRs in the league who do or do not get thrown to on a specific play.

Hurts hasn't been great but your scenerio seems to want to lay the blame all on him. Smith also has plenty of responsibility for his number of targets and relatively (compared to your prediction which said he would be spectaculat) poor catch rate.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has been getting open constantly every game. Hurts is still a developing QB that unfortunately is not where he needs to be with his timing yet on throws as well as not looking to DeVonta enough and Smith's production has taken a hit as a result. Otherwise you would be looking at a lot more yards, TDs and receptions for DeVonta this year. Two examples of this are the recent two Giants games.

But there are a lot of extremely ignorant people in this thread that have no idea what they are talking about.