• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Kenny Bell Played in an Elite Passing Offense

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how fast people write off a freshman QB...not only was he in his first year, he also surely did not expect to play a ton behind a senior QB. In addition, he was stuck into an offense built for a QB with a pretty unique skill set. Give the kid a chance. It's July. He hasn't even fucked up yet this year. At least save your bitching until he does...unless you think Ryker fucking Fyfe would be a better option?

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely, Gill was neither a runner or a passer, the stats support that. But he also was surrounded by a team that didn't lean on him that much, unlike our current QB situation, which needs someone that can be a threat by himself, running or throwing to compete, unless the defense carries us.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely, Gill was neither a runner or a passer, the stats support that. But he also was surrounded by a team that didn't lean on him that much, unlike our current QB situation, which needs someone that can be a threat by himself, running or throwing to compete, unless the defense carries us.

Ameer Abdullah disagrees with that.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What?

We're talking about 1981 Nebraska. Not 1983.

1981 Nebraska damn sure did lean on him.

Nebraska lost 3 games in 1981. Gill went (6-0) as a first year starter.

1981 Nebraska (9-3)

@ Iowa......... L
Florida St
Penn St......... L
Auburn
Colorado........Gill first start
Kansas St
Missouri
Kansas
Oklahoma St
Iowa St
Oklahoma.................(Gill did not play)
Clemson........ L....... (Gill did not play)

Cast that "Didn't lean on him that much"

Running Backs

Roger Craig (JR) - Rushing - 173 for 1060 YDS (6.12 YPC) 6 TD's.
Receiving - 12 for 87 YDS, 0 TD's

Mike Rozier (SO) - Rushing - 151 for 943 (6.2 YPC), 5 TD's.
Receiving - 4 for 64 YDS, 0 TD's

Receivers

Jammie Williams (JR).. - 22 for 282 YDS, 2 TD's
Anthony Steels (SR) - 15 for 187 YDS, 2 TD's
Todd Brown (JR) - 14 for 277, 3 TD's
Mitch Krenk (JR) - 9 for 126 YDS, 2 TD's
Scott Woodard (SR) - 5 for 60 YDS, 1 TD
Irving Fryer (SO) 3 for 70 YDS, 1 TD

What Gill had was an O-Line and Tom Osborne as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

Tommy Armstrong was 7 of 8 as a starter and had...

Running Backs

Ameer Abdulah (JR) - 281 for 1690 YDS (6.0 YPC), 9 TD's
Receiving - 26 for 232 YD's, 2 TD's

Imani Cross (JR) - 85 for 447 YDS (5.3 YPC), 10 TD's

Terrell Newby (SO) - 54 for 298 YDS, (5.5 YPC), 2 TD's

Receivers

Quincy Enunwa (SR) - 51 for 753 YDS, 12 TD's
Kenny Bell (JR) - 52 for 577 YDS, 4 TD's
Jordon Westerkamp (R FR) - 20 for 283 YDS, 1 TD
Sam Burtch (SO) - 12 for 147 YDS, 3 TD's
Jamal Turner (JR) - 13 for 102 YDS, 1 TD

What Tommy Armstrong didn't have was an O-Line or Tom Osborne as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

As I've pointed out TA and TG's first year #'s are very similar rushing and passing. Now I've pointed out their supporting cast skill positions were also very similar. If anything TA's was somewhat better.

Y'all are all over the place swinging at air.

Tommy Armstrong was a redshirt freshman first year starter. If you don't like him for whatever personal reason fine (one can only wonder why), but stop the distractive reasoning.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long did it take you to post that RA

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the deal. There are a couple of shit-talkers here making blanket ignorant unsupported statements.

It started with it all being about bashing TA's completion percentage. When it was pointed out that all of their Husker Heroes had shitty completion percentages in their first years as well, they started swinging at air and throwing up unsupported distractive arguments to make their case that TA sucks and will always suck.

I don't know if TA will improve or not. That remains to be seen. What I do know is he was a freshman (with a pieced together O-line), making typical freshman mistakes. I can't bash the guy for that.

It makes no difference how many times someone throws the ball. A completion percentage is a completion percentage once you get over like 10 attempts.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TA didnt win the Heisman so he is just plain trash

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RA I'm not talking trash, I honestly hate being negative about the team. But in all honesty numbers or just plain watching the guy play, I don't have a lot of faith in TA, he hasn't done anything to impress me. I really hope he proves me wrong.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RA I'm not talking trash, I honestly hate being negative about the team. But in all honesty numbers or just plain watching the guy play, I don't have a lot of faith in TA, he hasn't done anything to impress me. I really hope he proves me wrong.

He hasn't done anything to impress me either. Then again I wasn't expecting much from a first year freshman.

FWIW, I wasn't even impressed with the 99 yd TD pass to Enunwa against Georgia. It was blown coverage, under thrown, a missed tackle, and for all practical purposes a Hail Mary. I give the credit to Enunwa.

I do have expectations for him this season. I expect at least 55% pass completion, 450 YDS rushing at 5 YPC, and 5 or less INT's.

I would settle for that as a 2nd year sophomore.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Link?

NCAA® National Rankings

Total offense 2013:
1. Baylor (Bryce Petty)
2. Oregon (Marcus Mariota)
3. Fresno St. (Derek Carr)
4. Texas A&M (Johnny Manziel)
5. Northern Illinois (Jordan Lynch)

Scoring offense 2013:
1. Baylor (Bryce Petty)
2. Florida St. (Jameis Winston)
3. Ohio St. (Braxton Miller)
4. Oregon (Marcus Mariota)
5. Texas A&M (Johnny Manziel)

You really are making yourself look like an ignorant ass. I'd quit now if I were you.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to do damage with a pure drop back passer then you're entire Offense needs to be on a pro level.

We've seen it work a few times in the recent past with USC a few years ago and Miami in the early 2000's.

College Football usually does better with a scrambling QB simply because at this level it is damn difficult to get an entire unit of guys that will suit that.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to do damage with a pure drop back passer then you're entire Offense needs to be on a pro level.

We've seen it work a few times in the recent past with USC a few years ago and Miami in the early 2000's.

College Football usually does better with a scrambling QB simply because at this level it is damn difficult to get an entire unit of guys that will suit that.

Bammer and Stanferd have done well with that type consistently

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bammer and Stanferd have done well with that type consistently

True....and they are very well-rounded offenses as well. They block very well and run the ball effectively.

You just can't be rough around any of the edges on Offense in order to make it work at the College level.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both offenses will work in CFB, but they need to be built either way. Zone read option type offenses with dual threat QB's are in the majority of what's putting up the numbers. Particularly hurry ups.
bigred472 seems to think Beck is trying to use a dual threat QB in an offense designed for a drop back pocket type pro passer and that's not the case.