• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Kenny Bell Played in an Elite Passing Offense

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already know the answer btw

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost let it go but I just couldn't stop laughing and I had to do it.

That's what your dad said when he was thinking about pulling out.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstrong will shine this year...fact!!!

Oh wait, that isn't actually a fact at all. That is an opinion. Only stupid ignorant people say fact after a statement of an opinion. Sorry, my bad.

Armstrong will shine this year...my opinion!!!

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RKIII was fat and dumb and played like it

i don't think he ever made it past 1 progression
-------
I wasn't necessarily defending (talent wise) RK3 over TA, just the fact that TA got pulled. I'd rather we live and die (growing pains) and stick with one QB. True we had a patchwork OL. But when have we had a decent OL since Pelini got here? They can either pass block OK or run block OK but have never been able to do both. That won't be TAs fault so much IF he doesn't improve as much as he should but it's one reason I'm going to be surprised if he's still the starter after next year or even at the end of the year.

Bo reminds me of NDs Kelly. Neither are good at fixing things. Just yank the player that appears to be screwing up--end of problem.:suds:

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I don't disagree but TF kinda walked in and displayed a helluva lot more confidence. Grantedm Frazier didn't really have to worry about passing even as a freshman BUT he had a string feel for the offense even that first year.

One can look back over the college landscape and the better teams had offenses where if one person (QB)graduated, you just filled in the hole rather than trying to redo an offense to fit theQB. Case in point look at Urbans won/loss record after Tebow graduated. He in essence was rebuilding the whole damn offense because he couldn't find/recruit someone with Tebows skills to replace him.

If we are to find someone that can fit our offense (despite TMs efforts), I just don't see TA doing the job. You're either comfortable passing or you're not. RK3 could run the offense, so I'm not even sure why he was relegated to the #3 listed QB?

but what is our offense. we always hear run first multiple formations trying to be balance. but what if we got an elite qb that was a great passer or johnny manziel like qb. are we still run first? or do we change for that qb

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but what is our offense. we always hear run first multiple formations trying to be balance. but what if we got an elite qb that was a great passer or johnny manziel like qb. are we still run first? or do we change for that qb
-------
Good question. During TOs run at the top we didn't need a passer, we did have a qb with the natural instincts for the triple option. But TF had an offensive line that was physical. In fact I'd say the beating that line gave defenses were as important as that fluid triple option. And we haven't seen that type of physicality from an OL since.

Two years ago, Louisville beat LSY. LSU was the better team IMO. Bridgewater was a good QB but what kept Louisville in the game was the play of his OL. Midway through the 3rd quarter of that game the LSU DL was winded & beat.

While I believe we do in fact have to pass more, we need an OL that can play "fuck you" football--a line that can beat you into submission and IMO we haven't had that for almost 20 years. Sure , you cannot win without a stout defense, but a hard working 0-line would go much further than we've seen recently.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I'm just not sold on TA. If he was anywhere decent he would have had similar numbers as Frazier runnung. But Bo in his wisdom aparently didn't trust TA and used a third string QB as well. That tells me TA for this type of offense where he'll have to decide when to pass and when to run, he doesn't have the big picture skills that I think TF was all but born with. Bo may stay with TA the whole season, but I don't expect much improvement.

-------
I don't disagree but TF kinda walked in and displayed a helluva lot more confidence. Granted Frazier didn't really have to worry about passing even as a freshman BUT he had a string feel for the offense even that first year.

One can look back over the college landscape and the better teams had offenses where if one person (QB)graduated, you just filled in the hole rather than trying to redo an offense to fit theQB. Case in point look at Urbans won/loss record after Tebow graduated. He in essence was rebuilding the whole damn offense because he couldn't find/recruit someone with Tebows skills to replace him.

If we are to find someone that can fit our offense (despite TMs efforts), I just don't see TA doing the job. You're either comfortable passing or you're not. RK3 could run the offense, so I'm not even sure why he was relegated to the #3 listed QB?

-------
However if Beck is going to rely on the passing game 54% won't cut it. This is a different era. If opposing teams stop TA's running and force him to throw, 54% won't win that many games for us.

Mind you I'm no expert, but take a look at McCarrons stats at ALA. Even his "freshman year" he completed over 60% of his passes. All those years they had a back that could chew up 1000+ yards per season, but their passing game was far better than what ours has been.

A good offense should be able to keep a defense on it's toes. Are you running to set up the pass or are you passing to set up the run? Our offense needs to be that frustrating to defenses and to do that you need someone that can throw up numbers in the passing game to offset the running game. Don't see TA as doing that.

-------
I wasn't necessarily defending (talent wise) RK3 over TA, just the fact that TA got pulled. I'd rather we live and die (growing pains) and stick with one QB. True we had a patchwork OL. But when have we had a decent OL since Pelini got here? They can either pass block OK or run block OK but have never been able to do both. That won't be TAs fault so much IF he doesn't improve as much as he should but it's one reason I'm going to be surprised if he's still the starter after next year or even at the end of the year.

Bo reminds me of NDs Kelly. Neither are good at fixing things. Just yank the player that appears to be screwing up--end of problem.:suds:

No offense but you're kind of all over the place here. TA sucks at throwing and doesn't have the head for the game. NU had a patchwork O-line, he doesn't fit Becks type of offense.

Did you even digest the actual comparative #'s for first year NU QB's I posted, or do you just dislike TA so much they bounce off your forehead?

Here's some more actual #'s for you.

With his stellar 'run first' O-lines, TF passed the ball MORE than he ran.

FR....Run (86)...Pass (100)...Completion % (44%)
SO...Run (106)..Pass (162)...Completion % (47.5%)
JR....Run (33)....Pass (44)....Completion % (43.2%)
SR...Run (97)....Pass (163)...Completion % (56.4%)

As a freshman, TA's completion % was 51.9 %

Of Tagge, Gill, and Frazier, they all passed more than they ran. Every season.

The only nationally recognized NU QB that didn't was Crouch. His completion %'s were

FR - 48.5% (4 INT's)
SO - 51.9% (4 INT's)
JR - 48.1% (7 INT's)
SR - 55.6% (10 INT's)

Once again...With a patchwork O-line, as a first year starting QB, as a freshman, Tommy Armstrong was 51.9%.

Armstrong has every bit the determination, and confidence of any of those guys going into his 2nd season. One difference is he'll be surrounded by talented seniors at the skill positions.

If the O-line can come together and like I said if TA can improve on his decision making (freshman trying too hard to make things happen). LTFO!!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Attachments

• Nebraska Offense.JPG
    Nebraska Offense.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 57

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Good question. During TOs run at the top we didn't need a passer, we did have a qb with the natural instincts for the triple option. But TF had an offensive line that was physical. In fact I'd say the beating that line gave defenses were as important as that fluid triple option. And we haven't seen that type of physicality from an OL since.

Two years ago, Louisville beat LSY. LSU was the better team IMO. Bridgewater was a good QB but what kept Louisville in the game was the play of his OL. Midway through the 3rd quarter of that game the LSU DL was winded & beat.

While I believe we do in fact have to pass more, we need an OL that can play "fuck you" football--a line that can beat you into submission and IMO we haven't had that for almost 20 years. Sure , you cannot win without a stout defense, but a hard working 0-line would go much further than we've seen recently.

So it IS the O-line now?

TA doesn't suck and/or not fit Becks offense? :confused2:

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we would change things up if we had that elite or game changing qb.

beck tends to have some drives where he just wants to air it out we saw that in the ucla game last year and previous years. RA what you think?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we would change things up if we had that elite or game changing qb.

beck tends to have some drives where he just wants to air it out we saw that in the ucla game last year and previous years. RA what you think?

With TA, I think it depends on the O-line. He is true dual threat, by definition.

The 'DESIRE' to get to a certain run/pass ratio is meaningless as it pertains to reality, IMO. If you're having success at one or the other, you're going to stick to it in a particular game. At least I would think you'd be smart enough to stick with it until their defense at least shows signs of stopping it.

If the run's been working and they start stacking the box on you, call a play action and go over the top of them. Hit your TE down field.
If you're having success passing and they start blitzing, call a draw or a screen.

The problem with TM was he couldn't execute draws or screens. He didn't have the mentality/patience to let the play develop. TM was also limited to between the hash marks and 10 yds or so. He couldn't open up the field. He could run like the wind in the open field and in a straight line though.

TA has the attributes to do just about anything if he has a good O-line and learns to throw it away and live another day. The latter should improve as he matures. TA made common freshman/first year QB mistakes.

Hell, Even TF as a senior threw a ball up for grabs in the Fiesta Bowl beat down of Florida. It was intercepted.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska 'Career' records that a healthy Kenny Bell should break this year.

Career Receptions

Current - 166 (Nate Swift)
Bell - 134

Career Yards Gained

Current - 2,479 (Johnny Rodgers)
Bell - 1901

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I'm just not sold on TA. If he was anywhere decent he would have had similar numbers as Frazier runnung.

I'm a bit confused. In order to be "anywhere decent" he has to have similar numbers to possibly the greatest college quarterback ever?

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense but you're kind of all over the place here. TA sucks at throwing and doesn't have the head for the game. NU had a patchwork O-line, he doesn't fit Becks type of offense.

Did you even digest the actual comparative #'s for first year NU QB's I posted, or do you just dislike TA so much they bounce off your forehead?

Here's some more actual #'s for you.

With his stellar 'run first' O-lines, TF passed the ball MORE than he ran.

FR....Run (86)...Pass (100)...Completion % (44%)
SO...Run (106)..Pass (162)...Completion % (47.5%)
JR....Run (33)....Pass (44)....Completion % (43.2%)
SR...Run (97)....Pass (163)...Completion % (56.4%)

As a freshman, TA's completion % was 51.9 %

Of Tagge, Gill, and Frazier, they all passed more than they ran. Every season.

The only nationally recognized NU QB that didn't was Crouch. His completion %'s were

FR - 48.5% (4 INT's)
SO - 51.9% (4 INT's)
JR - 48.1% (7 INT's)
SR - 55.6% (10 INT's)

Once again...With a patchwork O-line, as a first year starting QB, as a freshman, Tommy Armstrong was 51.9%.

Armstrong has every bit the determination, and confidence of any of those guys going into his 2nd season. One difference is he'll be surrounded by talented seniors at the skill positions.

If the O-line can come together and like I said if TA can improve on his decision making (freshman trying too hard to make things happen). LTFO!!!!
-------
No offense taken. First of all I didn't bring up the patch work offensive line. In fact to me that's an excuse. Especially when the overweight third string QB was passing at nearly a 60% passing rate.

Using stats from bygone eras of QBs doesn't say or do or prove anything. I brought up the Alabama QB for a couple of reasons. #1 Even now the average fan still thinks of Ala. as a running team and they do have a solid running game. But the QB passed at a +60% clip even as a freshman. Alabama's use of the pass is an integral part of their offense. I'm not so sure that's the case with Nebraska.

Two years ago in TMs jr. year the big thing was his "improved passing stats". Once we got to that first UCLA game and our running game was slowed down, TMs passing stats at the time didn't mean squat because he wasn't recruited as a passer, just like TA wasn't recruited as a passer. Once you get to the college level if you're not already a "passer" I don't think it can be taught. We don't need a Peyton Manning but we do need a QB that has the ability to see the whole field for an open receiver. TM didn't have that skill and from what I've seen TA doesn't either.

When I've used 60% as a benchmark, I'm basing that on QBs that have the ability to see the whole field. Don't think we've had that in Bo's tenure and as such, even next year, I'm reasonably confident (unfortunately), if any opponent-next year- can slow down or stop our running game, we are toast. bo doesn't recruit passers. It's an afterthought for him. The only decent passer he's had was probably Ganz and he didn't have the talent around him plus he was too short:laugh3: