• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Kenny Bell Played in an Elite Passing Offense

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Nebraska standards, he could have a really big year if TA and AA can execute play action.
-------
I'm just not sold on TA. If he was anywhere decent he would have had similar numbers as Frazier runnung. But Bo in his wisdom aparently didn't trust TA and used a third string QB as well. That tells me TA for this type of offense where he'll have to decide when to pass and when to run, he doesn't have the big picture skills that I think TF was all but born with. Bo may stay with TA the whole season, but I don't expect much improvement.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only Martinez could pass

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KB played for TTU, Oklahoma State or Baylor, he would win the Biletnikoff. Fact.

or atleast be the big12 top 3 WR. baylor wr are still putting up solid numbers even with RG3 gone.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I'm just not sold on TA. If he was anywhere decent he would have had similar numbers as Frazier runnung. But Bo in his wisdom aparently didn't trust TA and used a third string QB as well. That tells me TA for this type of offense where he'll have to decide when to pass and when to run, he doesn't have the big picture skills that I think TF was all but born with. Bo may stay with TA the whole season, but I don't expect much improvement.

gotta remember last year offense waa built for tmart. rk3 could run it because he knew all of the play book and had a decent arm. beck was still trying to figure out how to use TA and not let his weakness show. when rk3 was in the game the passing game was better but no option could be use which was vice versa with TA.

I'd say give TA a full year to see how he can run the offense and see how beck uses him.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------

The offense TA was trying to execute is entirely different than the one dimensional rushing offense TF executed. Defenses stacked the box and played the run against TF so play action was easier. TF also had better O-lines. Their rushing #'s are too difficult to judge, given TA was splitting time with RK, and TF was the lone starter.

Freshmen Rushing

Attempts - TA (67 for 202), TF (86 for 399)
Ave per carry - TA (3), TF (4.6)

TA's completion % was better than TF's when TF was a freshman, sophomore and junior.

TA split time w/RK in 9/8 games where TF played a full 7 games.

Freshmen Passing

Passing TD's - TA (9), TF (10)
Completion % - TA (51.9%), TF (44.0%)
Passing Yds - TA (966), TF (727)
Pass Att's - TA (68 of 131), TF (44 of 100)
Interceptions - TA (8), TF (1)

If TA can improve on his decision making as a sophmore, LTFO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Armstrong wears Magnums.

This means that when the guys see him in the locker room they look up to him and respect him.

Natty.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're clueless irule

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has the skill position players that can complement each other much like the 71 and 83 teams did.

Jerry Tagge threw 8 INT's in each his sophmore and junior seasons. Down to 4 his senior season ('71).
Other than INT's, Tagge's passing #'s improved greatly in his second year. His % went to 61% with 12 TD's.

In his sophmore season Tagge was 107 for 189 passing (57%) for 3 TD's.
Rushing he was 83 for 189 (2.2 ave) for 4 TD's.
He never had a rushing ave higher than 2.9 YPC.

Turner Gill only had 1 pass attempt and 4 rushin attempts his freshman year. His pass was incomplete.In his first year as a starter (soph)..

Passing - 47 for 91 (51%) 9 TD's (4 Int's)
Rushing - 76 for 263 (3.5 YPC) 3 TD's.

Once again those #'s improved significantly his second year.

Passing - 90 for 166 (54%) 11 TD's (3 Int's)
Rushing - 101 for 497 (4.9 YPC) 4 TD's.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of INT's (8/4), Armstrong and Gills production #'s are near spot on identical for their first seasons.

Last season and going into this season, the quality of their respective O-line's can be debated, but I think TA's got as good (if not better) a supporting cast of skill position players as any NU QB had in their 1st and 2nd season. Abdullah and Bell will both be seniors.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta remember last year offense waa built for tmart. rk3 could run it because he knew all of the play book and had a decent arm. beck was still trying to figure out how to use TA and not let his weakness show. when rk3 was in the game the passing game was better but no option could be use which was vice versa with TA.

I'd say give TA a full year to see how he can run the offense and see how beck uses him.
-------
I don't disagree but TF kinda walked in and displayed a helluva lot more confidence. Grantedm Frazier didn't really have to worry about passing even as a freshman BUT he had a string feel for the offense even that first year.

One can look back over the college landscape and the better teams had offenses where if one person (QB)graduated, you just filled in the hole rather than trying to redo an offense to fit theQB. Case in point look at Urbans won/loss record after Tebow graduated. He in essence was rebuilding the whole damn offense because he couldn't find/recruit someone with Tebows skills to replace him.

If we are to find someone that can fit our offense (despite TMs efforts), I just don't see TA doing the job. You're either comfortable passing or you're not. RK3 could run the offense, so I'm not even sure why he was relegated to the #3 listed QB?

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has the skill position players that can complement each other much like the 71 and 83 teams did.

Jerry Tagge threw 8 INT's in each his sophmore and junior seasons. Down to 4 his senior season ('71).
Other than INT's, Tagge's passing #'s improved greatly in his second year. His % went to 61% with 12 TD's.

In his sophmore season Tagge was 107 for 189 passing (57%) for 3 TD's.
Rushing he was 83 for 189 (2.2 ave) for 4 TD's.
He never had a rushing ave higher than 2.9 YPC.

Turner Gill only had 1 pass attempt and 4 rushin attempts his freshman year. His pass was incomplete.In his first year as a starter (soph)..

Passing - 47 for 91 (51%) 9 TD's (4 Int's)
Rushing - 76 for 263 (3.5 YPC) 3 TD's.

Once again those #'s improved significantly his second year.

Passing - 90 for 166 (54%) 11 TD's (3 Int's)
Rushing - 101 for 497 (4.9 YPC) 4 TD's.
-------
However if Beck is going to rely on the passing game 54% won't cut it. This is a different era. If opposing teams stop TA's running and force him to throw, 54% won't win that many games for us.

Mind you I'm no expert, but take a look at McCarrons stats at ALA. Even his "freshman year" he completed over 60% of his passes. All those years they had a back that could chew up 1000+ yards per season, but their passing game was far better than what ours has been.

A good offense should be able to keep a defense on it's toes. Are you running to set up the pass or are you passing to set up the run? Our offense needs to be that frustrating to defenses and to do that you need someone that can throw up numbers in the passing game to offset the running game. Don't see TA as doing that.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I don't disagree but TF kinda walked in and displayed a helluva lot more confidence. Grantedm Frazier didn't really have to worry about passing even as a freshman BUT he had a string feel for the offense even that first year.

One can look back over the college landscape and the better teams had offenses where if one person (QB)graduated, you just filled in the hole rather than trying to redo an offense to fit theQB. Case in point look at Urbans won/loss record after Tebow graduated. He in essence was rebuilding the whole damn offense because he couldn't find/recruit someone with Tebows skills to replace him.

If we are to find someone that can fit our offense (despite TMs efforts), I just don't see TA doing the job. You're either comfortable passing or you're not. RK3 could run the offense, so I'm not even sure why he was relegated to the #3 listed QB?

I assume you're using hindsight here, but freshman Armstrong was a better zone read option athlete with more upside than 5th year senior RK.

In RK's first season of playing time as a RS juniior (2012), he saw action in 4 games. He was 4 of 9 passing (44%) for 22 yds, 1 INT, and had 1 TD on an 8yd pass against Idaho St. He was a disaster in mop up ditty against Minnnesota.

RK was on and off last year. We'll remember him as being better than he actually was, due to his 49 yd Hail Mary against Northwestern. On that 84 yd drive he went 6 of 8 passing. Of course Northwestern was ahead by 4 and in a prevent D, giving up the underneath routes on 5 of those completions. His passing stats the rest of the game were 1 for 5 for 20 yds.

His 59% completion #'s were accumulated against nobodys or in garbage time.

Wyoming - Did not play.
Southern Miss - 4 of 5 for 24 yds. (Mop up duty)
UCLA - Did not play
South Dakota St - 8 of 9 for 136 yds (89%). 1 TD
Illinois - 3 of 6 for 51 yds (50%). One pass was 31 yds. 0 TD
Purdue - 10 of 13 for 141 yds (77%). 1 TD
Minnesota -Did not play. (return of Tmart)
Northwestern - 7 of 13 for 104 yds (53%). 1 TD. 1 INT. Hail Mary drive
Michigan - 1 of 4 for 6 yds (25%). 0 TD
Michigan St - 8 of 11 for 67 yds (72%). 1 TD. Garbage time TD against Sparty (behind 20 pts).
Penn St - 20 of 34 for 191 yds (58%). 1 TD
Iowa - 19 of 37 for 199 yds (51%). 1 TD. 2 INT's.
Georgia - 0 for 2.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
However if Beck is going to rely on the passing game 54% won't cut it. This is a different era. If opposing teams stop TA's running and force him to throw, 54% won't win that many games for us.

Mind you I'm no expert, but take a look at McCarrons stats at ALA. Even his "freshman year" he completed over 60% of his passes. All those years they had a back that could chew up 1000+ yards per season, but their passing game was far better than what ours has been.

A good offense should be able to keep a defense on it's toes. Are you running to set up the pass or are you passing to set up the run? Our offense needs to be that frustrating to defenses and to do that you need someone that can throw up numbers in the passing game to offset the running game. Don't see TA as doing that.

Alabama is a lot better up front than Nebraska's been. AJ McCarron is a Zac Lee at Nebraska.

You're bashing a freshman QB with a pieced together O-line. I suppose you could end up being right, but I'm gonna give TA the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think you see RK's completion % at 59% if he's the sole #1 QB all year.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody loves a garbage-time back-up. Especially when they've thrown a Hail Mary.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RKIII was fat and dumb and played like it

i don't think he ever made it past 1 progression

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama is a lot better up front than Nebraska's been. AJ McCarron is a Zac Lee at Nebraska.

You're bashing a freshman QB with a pieced together O-line. I suppose you could end up being right, but I'm gonna give TA the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think you see RK's completion % at 59% if he's the sole #1 QB all year.

I was actually thinking about this exact thing the other day. I'd take McCarron over Lee any day though. Nothing to do with his production, just his demeanor and his ball results.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3