• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If I was the Czar of the NFL

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the czar of the nfl, people would probably think I’m insane because there isn’t a czar of the nfl.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d institute a modified form of the college overtime time system.

When players get up off the turf motioning for a flag being thrown, that would be an unsportsmanlike like penalty.

One knee would not equal two feet on a catch. One foot in bounds would be enough.

A running back could be called for a face mask penalty.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would equalize the offensive and defensive penalties. Now every defensive penalty except off sides results in an automatic first down. Offensive penalties except for intentional grounding result in replaying a down. Offensive holding would be five yards and loss of down.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There would be no Targeting penalty. Unnecessary roughness would be enough.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to change the offensive alignment rules. On the line, off the line, 5 on the line, 10 on the line, what does it really matter any more? Just mandate where the O-Line should be and penalise multiple offensive players moving without resetting/offensive players moving forwards before the snap.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Hire full time refs

2. Expand the schedule to 18 games with two byes for each team

3. I would tell cheapskate Spanos, he is done playing in SoFi and will either build his own stadium find some other stadium to play in.

4. Force the Haslem's to sell the team. You shouldn't be a convicted felon and be allowed to own the team.

5. Expand the league starting with a team in Canada, a team in Mexico city than international starting with a team in Germany.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No foreign teams or games.
They would need to move entire teams, players, families overseas. Easier said than done.
They tried it before with NFL Europe, it gained some traction. Today those countries want in on the action. Most would depend a lot on NFL promotion and financing.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams overseas would be the same home grown players, with some added flavor by millions if not soon billions of fans around the world.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move kick-offs back to the 20 and ditch the stupid fair catch on kick-off rule they brought in this year. I want to see returns. It's one of the more exciting aspects of the game, imo.
Completely revamp the roughing the passer rules. Allow for the eye in the sky to immediately make the judgement on the "forceable contact" BS that they currently have way too much of because the ref doesn't have the proper angle to see the defender actually letting up. Also, because it's such a harsh rule for defenders, 15 yards is too punitive. No automatic personal foul just because of the outcome or how it is wrongly perceived. That, of course, goes back to everybody's point about better refs and full time refs as well.
Change the illegal contact and holding on DBs rule. Keep it 5 yds but no automatic first down. Actually, no automatic first down for anything. If the penalty yards aren't enough, too bad. The exception maybe being DPI in the end zone. But again, allow for the eye in the sky to intervene if the call is wrong. We had one earlier this year where the WR actually tripped over the heal of the guy in coverage in front of him covering a different WR and because he fell, the official called PI on the DB covering him who never even touched him. Another case of the outcome determining the call instead of the action.
The bottom line is they can't just always be favoring the offense on every play and more consistency across the board.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Make the refs full time employees. It's not like they can't afford to pay them and set up actual schooling and implementation of new rules, points of emphasis and stuff that is done badly on the regular.

2) Change the bye weeks. I don't think it's right that they are spread out over so much of the season. Some teams play 3 games and then get a bye while others play 12 or 13, how does that make sense? I would make the bye weeks 6 thru 9 and give 2 divisions off per week, 1 from each conference. The reason I'd do it by division is those teams play each other twice each season leveling the field for the week off.

3) Go to 2 preseason games and an 18 game schedule with 2 bye weeks per team. In this scenario (doesn't apply to point 2 above) I would have the bye weeks by conference. AFC is off week 5 and 11 and NFC is off in weeks 6 and 12 in even numbered years, and just the opposite in odd numbered years.

Not bad....not bad.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is ridiculous. NFL has global appeal.
They can call it NIFL for all care. So long as teams stay true.
You guys are hilarious. You want a team in Qatar and a team in Taiwan?

There are nations and borders for reasons. Good reasons.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell no to the dpi, you commit a penalty 40 yards down field to stop the play, you pay for it

Too often that's a judgement call on a short throw, unfair to the defender. A receiver trying to fight through a defender for a short throw (that they most likely can't get to anyway) should not be DPI. The defender should have the right to his position. They also need to bring back the uncatchable rulings, never see those made anymore.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Challenge ridiculous penalties maybe that team can check on replay? Max 2 challenged penalties per game. Not sure, but think I read in another thread that you can already do that? I haven’t a clue but would be a good idea, and help the refs do a better job.

I don't think we need teams challenging penalties, but a skybox ref should be in place for each game to correct obvious missed or miss-called penalties before the next play.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like you to fill in your ideas if you were in charge. I'm not going to get into the CBA and that stuff, just things that I think would be better than they currently are. It would be cool if you could do the same
Get rid of Goodell and his cronies - nuff' said.....

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.. You cannot challenge penalties yet. And this specific instance may have been unchallengeable since you can't hear and audio.

Challenge anything. Your choice. You are successful on 2, you get 1 more.
I love my NFL but I don't want to have to watch for 5 hours to see a game.
Get rid of kickoffs and games would be 2 hours long

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 things that definitely need to be changed.

Offsides is on whomever crosses the line first(or moves first in the case of the offense). There are no free plays either. Whistle it dead as soon as it is seen. Players get hurt on those free plays plus the entire rule is retarded and always takes 5 minutes to sort out who they are penalizing.

No such thing as an automatic first down. Penalties are yards and if the yards are enough for a first down then fine, otherwise they get the yards and another play. I am sick of seeing 4th and 49 on their own 20 yard line and then they get a 5 yard holding or hands to the face penalty and it is an automatic first down. Again, that is retarded.

Finally same with spot fouls (usually DPI). Penalty yards are half the distance to the spot. If that is enough for a first down then fine. Sick of the ball being placed on the 1 yard line on questionable calls or if balls are even catchable.