• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ichiro returning to Seattle

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just bummed the Ichiro press conference on the radio got bumped because of the Seahawks news.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans blasting this as strictly a money making move is as predictable as anything, but if that truly was the motivation then it would have happened 2 months ago and not immediately after the 3rd injury to the top 4 OFers. Is there a marketing aspect of this signing? Sure, but it's a side dish more than the main course. It's a cheap contract for a temp option in the OF that comes with a linkage to the past.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans blasting this as strictly a money making move is as predictable as anything, but if that truly was the motivation then it would have happened 2 months ago and not immediately after the 3rd injury to the top 4 OFers. Is there a marketing aspect of this signing? Sure, but it's a side dish more than the main course. It's a cheap contract for a temp option in the OF that comes with a linkage to the past.

I think a normal baseball fan base could probably see it that way. The Mariners just haven't earned the benefit of the doubt from their fans in some time. It has become increasingly hard to see any thing but a glass half empty view to all these moves. You combine that with these injuries that apparently happened earlier and weren't addressed, its just overall very frustrating.

I do think the bigger issue is that this kind of move of was necessary because there is absolutely no outfield depth and no one coming up anytime soon. I kind of figured that would be one of Dipoto's strengths coming in because he said one of his main goals was to build an athletic outfield.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a normal baseball fan base could probably see it that way. The Mariners just haven't earned the benefit of the doubt from their fans in some time. It has become increasingly hard to see any thing but a glass half empty view to all these moves. You combine that with these injuries that apparently happened earlier and weren't addressed, its just overall very frustrating.

I understand all, which is why I said this type of reaction was predictable. I think it's also an emotion-fueled response that punishes the son for the sins of the father to a large degree. Why hold the failures of previous regimes against the current one? They've been here only 2 years, and it's not like they took over a turnkey operation. In year 1 they were in the thick of the wildcard race all the way up to game 161. Last year despite all the injuries, they were playing meaningful baseball into September.

I do think the bigger issue is that this kind of move of was necessary because there is absolutely no outfield depth and no one coming up anytime soon. I kind of figured that would be one of Dipoto's strengths coming in because he said one of his main goals was to build an athletic outfield.
Hmmm, well I think it's a lot more athletic now than it was 3 seasons ago. The problem is the athletes we have acquired to play out there have been injury riddled. I don't think any MLB teams have a 6-player OF rotation, but that's about what we would need in order to overcome all these injuries. If there's one really appealing thing about adding Ichiro, it's that he has proven to be durable.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I see things like this it’s hard to convince me otherwise.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I see things like this it’s hard to convince me otherwise.

And I don't know why this bugs me so much, but why do you still need an interpreter? My mom had a 6th grade education in Italy because of WW2 and came to American her early 20's and learned English other own to become a US citizen. He has been here for 17 years now. Show us some respect already.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't know why this bugs me so much, but why do you still need an interpreter? My mom had a 6th grade education in Italy because of WW2 and came to American her early 20's and learned English other own to become a US citizen. He has been here for 17 years now. Show us some respect already.

I think that is one of the reason he was never beloved in Seattle. And why some of the new hosts or columnists don't understand the dislike for alot fans. All the Latin guys come here and at least speak to the American fans, he never even attempted to endear himself to us the way inferior talents did.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about the Ichiro thing a lot lately.

He gives fans someone to root for. We haven't built a winning team, but it'll be cool to see Ichiro take another AB with the Mariners. This will very likely be his last season, but since he left the Mariners I've rooted for him more than any other non-Mariner player.

The baseball guy in me thinks that Jarrod Dyson or Jon Jay would've been much better signings.

But another part of me is happy to see that Ichiro will end his career in Seattle. I know I will get shit for this, but I'm somewhat happy to see Ichiro end his career with us. I wish we would've done better with our 4th outfielder - especially because I anticipate our fourth outfielder will get 300+ ABs - but Ichiro really is an icon.

We won't make the playoffs. We all know that. But Ichiro at the very minimum gives us someone to root for.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about the Ichiro thing a lot lately.

He gives fans someone to root for. We haven't built a winning team, but it'll be cool to see Ichiro take another AB with the Mariners. This will very likely be his last season, but since he left the Mariners I've rooted for him more than any other non-Mariner player.

The baseball guy in me thinks that Jarrod Dyson or Jon Jay would've been much better signings.

But another part of me is happy to see that Ichiro will end his career in Seattle. I know I will get shit for this, but I'm somewhat happy to see Ichiro end his career with us. I wish we would've done better with our 4th outfielder - especially because I anticipate our fourth outfielder will get 300+ ABs - but Ichiro really is an icon.

We won't make the playoffs. We all know that. But Ichiro at the very minimum gives us someone to root for.
Well said

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said

We all agree that this is a roster that may compete for a Wild Card spot if all goes well. If Ichiro had been on the Mariners during winning seasons, he would be much more appreciated. Would I prefer someone else? Definitely. Will I root for a franchise icon back home in his last season? Certainly.

I really hope that he finishes an amazing career on a good note. He wants to play until 50, but I would love to see him put up a .270 average in 300 ABs and hang up the cleats.

None of us are happy with the direction that the franchise is going in, but I don't see why not to be excited about seeing Ichiro take another AB in Safeco Field in a Mariners uniform. Yes, it's purely nostalgic and we all hate how much the franchise milks it, but it's still a cool moment.

As a baseball move, the Mariners could've done better. But I don't think that should detract from the homecoming of the only light on many teams that were terrible. He was the best player on many teams that had very little talent, and very little to root for.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson for sure should have been signed. Jay I don't think would have taken the role Dyson or Ichiro would have taken. Ideally Dyson would have been resigned and Healy would never have been dealt for or signed a starting COF and put Haniger in CF. Put Gordon at SS, Segura at 2nd and Cano at 1B. Jerry has boxed in the organization with giving them no legitimate choices outside Haniger and Gamel/Heredia. Bishop has potential but it'd be idiotic to call him up to be a role player IMO.

And I disagree that they aren't built to win. On paper, when healthy they are every bit as good as the Astros, Indians, Yankees or Red Sox. Just the stubborn faith Jerry has in the staff is where they can you compete with those teams. The bullpen on paper is one of the best in the AL but the starting staff is built to burn them out by August. Outside of Leake, there isn't a starter you can count on to go 6 through the season, much like last year banking on Paxton, Felix, Iwakuma and Smyly to carry the staff. You can't built around prayers. If they signed a FA (much like they traded for Smyly) if they get hurt it sucks and you can live with it, but when the rest of the staff is coming off injuries or is prone to injuries it is poor management and reckless IMO.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to get excited about Ichiro coming back... He shouldn't even make the team, imo...

I agree ...

The ONLY reason Ichiro was even available for the M's to sign him to that 1 yr deal a month or so back was .... NO OTHER TEAM WANTED HIM

What does that tell you ?

myself = NOT an Ichiro fan. I never was even when he was actually a contributor back in his good days. He just never jelled with his teammates and seemed to be a very selfish player.

Has been in our country for nearly 20 yrs now and still doesn't speak even broken english ? Yea that tells you something

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to get excited about Ichiro coming back... He shouldn't even make the team, imo...

True, which is where I don't get the outrage. He is a role player, sure he excited the fans who haven't attended a game in years but it's just a signing like Taylor Motter, a dude who has no long term role with the team. Only issue I will have is when Gamel comes back and Ichiro takes AB's him. He should be DFA'd and playing in Tacoma the minute Gamel is cleared.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, which is where I don't get the outrage. He is a role player, sure he excited the fans who haven't attended a game in years but it's just a signing like Taylor Motter, a dude who has no long term role with the team. Only issue I will have is when Gamel comes back and Ichiro takes AB's him. He should be DFA'd and playing in Tacoma the minute Gamel is cleared.

I would LOVE to see that happen.

But Dipoto and Mariners front office and owners have their noses so far up Ichiros ass they can taste the sushi he had for lunch

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would LOVE to see that happen.

But Dipoto and Mariners front office and owners have their noses so far up Ichiros ass they can taste the sushi he had for lunch
Oh man MBF that is so true. But that sushi tastes just like loads of money (whatever that tastes like). The whole Ichiro thing says it all about where this ownership's priorities are at. Don't think for one minute that Dipstick had much of a say about it either. He doesn't have any balls and does whatever Stanton tells him to do. It's almost as bad a relationship as Servais kissing Dipstick's ass all the time. Shit rolls downhill and water seeks it's own level and the fans end up drowning it shitty water-and that's the name of that tune. It is what it is and bitching about it doesn't change things but it sure the hell feels good!!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro isn’t an issue right now because he’s a fill in for Gamel, but don’t be surprised when we sacrifice a reliever when Gamel comes back just to keep Ichiro on the roster. Bobble heads have been made, camera shots of the Ichi-meter have been scripted, and his in game attendance has been scheduled for “celebrate 2001 night” this summer.