• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Was Not Impressed

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should know to drop whatever claim you make once ChrisPozz gets involved. :laugh: I laugh because while that's a joke, it's probably true.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me as I remember reading the staff were already looking at film for the first couple of opponents. Also when asked if they were doing more game planning leading up to this game Harbaugh's response was basically "maybe, maybe not".

Part me wonders some of the things we do in preseason are dummy plays to throw off anyone that watches film on us. Alex taking a shot at Moss with 3 men on him isn't really something he would normally do and it almost feels like it was done just to put it on film to give opposing defenses something to think about when game planning.

It's also something I wouldn't put past Harbaugh doing as well.

This is not something we didn't already know, but since they are quotes on the substance of your post, thought I'd share it here. The links to the quotes are below the quote, not cited for the article itself, but it's there if you wish to read it.

---------------------------------------------------

Re the Moss pass: “I was taking a shot,” Smith said. “You almost need to do that for effect, just to get defenses thinking about him.”

Smith finally goes deep for Moss; pass goes deeper | 49ers Hot Read

Smith said the team is “really just trying to show balance,” and that the goal is not give anybody “any tells or anything like that.”

“I feel like we are doing a decent job of it,” he added.

Alex Smith Displays Offensive Mastery

Another quote - "After all, the sole purpose of the exhibition season is for teams to set themselves up for the regular season.

And that brings up the question: Did the 49ers show too much on Sunday against the Denver Broncos?

The 49ers' best play came late in the first quarter that resulted in a 44-yard Smith-to-Vernon Davis touchdown on a wheel route. Smith found Davis along the left sideline matched against linebacker Von Miller.

Harbaugh said there is conversation on offense, defense and special teams about which plays to use and which plays to save for the regular season.

"Sounds like maybe (you thought we) should've saved that one, put that one in your back pocket, and sprung it at a different time," Harbaugh said. "Definitely, you have the right to think that."

------------------------------------------------

Obviously everybody knows this already - just saying that it is at the forefront of Harbaugh's mind. Other coaches do this, but it fits Harbaugh's personality well. I could have seen him say that they have used some regular season plays in the preseason - though this wouldn't fool anyone. They might, but we'd know what he'd be trying to do had he said that. Everyone would know there wasn't actual insight to what was said.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't see the Houston game, but I got the distinct impression in the other 2 that the first string offense isn't even vanilla, it's just milk - not even pasteurized. As soon as the second team offense came in things picked up. I don't think that's because the personnel is better. The offense is playing at a first grade level.

Harbaugh's comment about the wheel route reenforces this. They ran one play that was anything above the bare basics of offensive football and there are concerns we showed too much?

It's a culture of paranoia and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have conflicting thoughts about Harbaugh's psychological approach to coaching, but that's for another post when I can organize my thoughts into something relatively coherent.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the Houston game, but I got the distinct impression in the other 2 that the first string offense isn't even vanilla, it's just milk - not even pasteurized. As soon as the second team offense came in things picked up. I don't think that's because the personnel is better. The offense is playing at a first grade level.

Harbaugh's comment about the wheel route reenforces this. They ran one play that was anything above the bare basics of offensive football and there are concerns we showed too much?

It's a culture of paranoia and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have conflicting thoughts about Harbaugh's psychological approach to coaching, but that's for another post when I can organize my thoughts into something relatively coherent.

Yeah, I don't get what's up with these comments suggesting we showed too much on that wheel route when we ran the exact route to Vernon (and others) several times last year.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't get what's up with these comments suggesting we showed too much on that wheel route when we ran the exact route to Vernon (and others) several times last year.

He's throwing shadows of doubt...shades of grey into the minds of the league...and not the handcuffs and p0rn0 shades of grey from that top selling book.
:hdn:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope from now on we can relax when it comes to preseason.

Not that it doesn't have some importance but as week 1 showed it's all but meaningless to go on.

Jets couldn't buy a TD in preseason dropped 48 on the Bills.
Russell Wilson looks average (not that he's going to stay average)
Patriots look fine
Peyton looks fine

And our defense can hang with high powered offenses and still tackle and cover.