• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Was Not Impressed

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Pre-Season - Just because it doesn't count doesn't mean it doesn't matter"

True, true. I wanted us to execute our vanilla O and D, not fail at executing our vanilla O and D. (Or execute real plays if run.)

(Sarcasm alert -->) Harbaugh is just having the defense play terribly so as take pressure off the offense and not let others know our defensive look. ;)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, true. I wanted us to execute our vanilla O and D, not fail at executing our vanilla O and D. (Or execute real plays if run.)

(Sarcasm alert -->) Harbaugh is just having the defense play terribly so as take pressure off the offense and not let others know our defensive look. ;)

Yeah, exactly, I mean we're not the only team going vanilla @ 3/4 speed with our 1's - everyone is. Today, our vanilla 3/4 speed didn't look very good vs. the Broncos vanilla 3/4 speed. Not sounding any alarm - just stating an observation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We return everyone so how won't it be rock solid after watching a pre seasons game when we were missing 2/4 starting linebackers, give me a break

well thats the thing, we take last year's performance, say we got everyone back, and assume we'll pick up exactly where we left off?

next, i wrote all three pre-season games, not just today.

there are eleven players on defense so missing "2/4" is the reason? we all know pre-season isn't regular season, but the overall D hasn't played solid, to think it'll just turn on upon request isn't realistic.

again, i'm not claiming the D is now terrible, but they haven't been close to 'vaunted'. Denver's offense wasn't only passing on our D, and they would've scored more points 1's against 1's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"I don't want to say it's just the preseason because this is a time to get better," Niners linebacker Ahmad Brooks said. "It's a time you can really showcase what your team is capable of doing. I don't know but it's been a scary start to this point."

guess this sums it up for me too.

not hitting the panic button and not claiming the D is now bad. but maybe, just maybe expectations need to go down a small notch?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect much of a defense that was minus Aldon, Bowman, Justin, and Brooks for a majority of the pre-season.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just fall under that don't care about preseason category because it seems Harbaugh has no intentions of tipping his hand at all. I mean we had 16 passing attempts the whole entire game which is an extremely low number even for a conservative offense so that tells me Harbaugh does all his work in practice and not in the preseason games.

FIFY, but I concur. This is a man that looks at injury updates as state secrets. As much as it pains me to watch, I'm very sure that he did not want anything to be given away. He's been staring at that season opener with GB since the schedule came out.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've heard that there is absolutely no game planning going on and in fact they are already installing the offense for GB. I dont have a source as this comes from a friend who supposedly knows what is happening behind the scenes. I would say based on how they looked, it appears this may be the case.
The DB's did scare me a bit as well as the oline, but hey a win is a win

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that there is absolutely no game planning going on and in fact they are already installing the offense for GB. I dont have a source as this comes from a friend who supposedly knows what is happening behind the scenes. I would say based on how they looked, it appears this may be the case.

I think Whitner made these comments to the press

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Wouldn't surprise me as I remember reading the staff were already looking at film for the first couple of opponents. Also when asked if they were doing more game planning leading up to this game Harbaugh's response was basically "maybe, maybe not".

Part me wonders some of the things we do in preseason are dummy plays to throw off anyone that watches film on us. Alex taking a shot at Moss with 3 men on him isn't really something he would normally do and it almost feels like it was done just to put it on film to give opposing defenses something to think about when game planning.

It's also something I wouldn't put past Harbaugh doing as well.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me as I remember reading the staff were already looking at film for the first couple of opponents. Also when asked if they were doing more game planning leading up to this game Harbaugh's response was basically "maybe, maybe not".

Part me wonders some of the things we do in preseason are dummy plays to throw off anyone that watches film on us. Alex taking a shot at Moss with 3 men on him isn't really something he would normally do and it almost feels like it was done just to put it on film to give opposing defenses something to think about when game planning.

It's also something I wouldn't put past Harbaugh doing as well.

This is not something we didn't already know, but since they are quotes on the substance of your post, thought I'd share it here. The links to the quotes are below the quote, not cited for the article itself, but it's there if you wish to read it.

---------------------------------------------------

Re the Moss pass: “I was taking a shot,” Smith said. “You almost need to do that for effect, just to get defenses thinking about him.”

Smith finally goes deep for Moss; pass goes deeper | 49ers Hot Read

Smith said the team is “really just trying to show balance,” and that the goal is not give anybody “any tells or anything like that.”

“I feel like we are doing a decent job of it,” he added.

Alex Smith Displays Offensive Mastery

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm worried that Carlos Rogers has lost a step,
Brock making the team,
Alex Smith,
Goodwin having another down year,
and the starting safties in coverage.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock making the team,
Alex Smith,

Don't worry, Alex'll make the team. ;)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brock making the team,
Alex Smith,

at Safety...........there were a few plays where it appeared there was confusion? not being solid in coverage is one thing, but confusion is a big concern.

speaking of confusion, whats with the timeout and then incurring a delay of game? even the coaching staff needs pre-season to work on the system.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really,they were not showing anything. Dont get caught up in the preseason, we all want football so bad that we will treat the preseason with more clout than its worth. Yeah we didnt look like last season form, but We will be fine. Bowman never took a snap neither did aldon, so we had half of our LB core. Their was alot of different things that made us look bad, Brock did have a terrible day. All in all though I think we will be fine once we start throwing plays down. We did everything possible not to show our hand

If Brock is # 26 then ya, I agree. he stood out like a sore thumb. He is terrible.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, exactly, I mean we're not the only team going vanilla @ 3/4 speed with our 1's - everyone is. Today, our vanilla 3/4 speed didn't look very good vs. the Broncos vanilla 3/4 speed. Not sounding any alarm - just stating an observation.

Not only that, they looked lost out there. very slow to react.