• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I just lost respect for Kirk Herbstreit

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He works for E$PN

They do have a 250 million dollar reason for pushing one team over the other

Surfahgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol
I have never had respect for herbie.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbstreit’s argument is they should essentially abandon conference championship games.

That's not what I heard. He made a good argument for Georgia being a better team than others, but he ignored that Georgia has a 20 pt loss to LSU and based it completely on the game vs Alabama tonight, which was not Alabama's best.

And while they may represent one of the best shots against Alabama, if not the best, I've always thought of the conference championship games as defacto playoff games and a 2 loss conference championship loser shouldn't be getting in over 1 loss conference championship winners.

It should come down to Oklahoma and Ohio St and Oklahoma wins that.

It's 4 best teams, but if you are the best then you deserve to be there and Georgia doesn't deserve to be there. And unlike last year when Alabama didn't deserve to be there, there are a few other teams who are more deserving. Although hell, none of them deserve it that much either, it's just a function of having to take a team for the 4th place spot.

There are legitimately 3 teams that have a claim on the NC and that's Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame. The 4th team is just the 4th team. They lost a game, so they can't complain.

But I'm not very happy with Notre Dame or Clemson's SoS if I'm being honest even though they are undefeated. Clemson is #100 in the ones I use and to be honest that is terrible, and Notre Dame is #85. If that's the standard we are going to allow, might as well put UCF in, #117. I know it'll never happen, but it really wouldn't hurt my feelings if all 3 were left out because of SoS. What a fucking message that would send.

SoS based playoffs:

1. Alabama (#18)
2. Oklahoma (#52)
3. Ohio St (#37)
4. Georgia (#4)

5. Notre Dame (#85)
6. Clemson (#100)
7. UCF (#117)

You've made it very difficult for me to justify leaving UCF out. Thankfully I still can because it's not the worse, but I have to be honest and say I wouldn't think UCF should get in over any of those top 4 if they had only the #85 SoS.

Clemson tried would be the only shame. They schedule 2 OOC P5 teams in A&M and SCar. The ACC really let them down.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He works for E$PN

They do have a 250 million dollar reason for pushing one team over the other

I'm pretty sure they televise the games no matter how makes it in. If they just want to bring in cash, why not go for Ohio St?

HOGGZ1LLA

subsonic66
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure they televise the games no matter how makes it in. If they just want to bring in cash, why not go for Ohio St?
I love it when people use this as an excuse!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean clarky and the other auto bid idiots would lose their shit for years over it.

Fuck it, let's do it.
The tag would be @TheRobotDevil its not difficult.....

In response to this theory I dnt think anyone would "lose their shit". This years just another mess with a lot of question marks again. This is a good thing.The more inconsistencies and flaws in the current system exposed the better. Its a great step towards moving past the broken system and forward towards a functional system. Another year of debate and question marks. While we have at least 6 clear play off teams

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what I heard. He made a good argument for Georgia being a better team than others, but he ignored that Georgia has a 20 pt loss to LSU and based it completely on the game vs Alabama tonight, which was not Alabama's best.

And while they may represent one of the best shots against Alabama, if not the best, I've always thought of the conference championship games as defacto playoff games and a 2 loss conference championship loser shouldn't be getting in over 1 loss conference championship winners.

It should come down to Oklahoma and Ohio St and Oklahoma wins that.

It's 4 best teams, but if you are the best then you deserve to be there and Georgia doesn't deserve to be there. And unlike last year when Alabama didn't deserve to be there, there are a few other teams who are more deserving. Although hell, none of them deserve it that much either, it's just a function of having to take a team for the 4th place spot.

There are legitimately 3 teams that have a claim on the NC and that's Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame. The 4th team is just the 4th team. They lost a game, so they can't complain.

But I'm not very happy with Notre Dame or Clemson's SoS if I'm being honest even though they are undefeated. Clemson is #100 in the ones I use and to be honest that is terrible, and Notre Dame is #85. If that's the standard we are going to allow, might as well put UCF in, #117. I know it'll never happen, but it really wouldn't hurt my feelings if all 3 were left out because of SoS. What a fucking message that would send.

SoS based playoffs:

1. Alabama (#18)
2. Oklahoma (#52)
3. Ohio St (#37)
4. Georgia (#4)

5. Notre Dame (#85)
6. Clemson (#100)
7. UCF (#117)

You've made it very difficult for me to justify leaving UCF out. Thankfully I still can because it's not the worse, but I have to be honest and say I wouldn't think UCF should get in over any of those top 4 if they had only the #85 SoS.

Clemson tried would be the only shame. They schedule 2 OOC P5 teams in A&M and SCar. The ACC really let them down.

I entirely agree with your first four paragraphs. However, I agree with nothing after that. As I said in another thread, no one cares about your dumbass BCF Toys SOS rankings. No one's heard of that random site and literally no one uses it. You like it because it highly overrates Alabama's schedule and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Where are these teams to justify a top 20 strength of schedule? Louisville? Arkansas State? Louisiana Lafayette? Or the powerhouse of the Citadel? You played an absolutely lousy OOC schedule, and avoided Florida and Georgia in conference. But this site you use is a complete joke. It has all of the SEC in the top 20, and 10 of the top 11 schedules. It has 8 SEC teams ahead of Pittsburgh, who played Penn State, UCF, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Give me a break.

Sagarin is actually a well-respected sports statistician. If we're using that strength of schedule (which is what most people use), then:

Georgia (#6)
Oklahoma (#31)
Ohio State (#40)
Notre Dame (#42)
Alabama (#44)
Clemson (#48)
UCF (#90)

Everyone in the discussion but Georgia has a shit schedule. There's no major difference between the teams (except UGA and UCF are outliers, but neither should be considered). Their schedules all suck.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbie hasn't been the same since this happened.

Baker-Mayfield-flag-plant.jpg

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say put the Oakland Raiders at #3 and drop ND to #4. :suds:

Nobody would miss them on Sunday and we would finally get to see if Clemson or Bama could beat a pro team.

Just a thought.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Herbstreit reads cue cards!

This isn't even his analysis. He's just saying what somebody else wrote.