• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I FOund This Interesting

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers must juggle personnel to keep window open to contend - SFGate

I think they have the players in place for the most part to make one last run at it before the roster turns over. I'm surprised to hear that they are even thinking about letting Boldin walk in order to pay Kaepernick, but they are going to have to pay him if they believe he is the future QB there.

It also seemed strange to think of Gore not being there anymore after all he has accomplished as a 49er but I think they may have to drop him unless he will tak a significant cut in pay.

I'd like to see Whitner stay but think they can replace Goodwin adequately without spending a lot.

I would love to seethem re-sign Dawson but I think Rogers can be replaced adequately by Culliver.

More than anything I hope Bowman returns healthy. Such a warrior, I'd hate to see his carer derailed by an injury.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers must juggle personnel to keep window open to contend - SFGate

I think they have the players in place for the most part to make one last run at it before the roster turns over. I'm surprised to hear that they are even thinking about letting Boldin walk in order to pay Kaepernick, but they are going to have to pay him if they believe he is the future QB there.

It also seemed strange to think of Gore not being there anymore after all he has accomplished as a 49er but I think they may have to drop him unless he will tak a significant cut in pay.

I'd like to see Whitner stay but think they can replace Goodwin adequately without spending a lot.

I would love to seethem re-sign Dawson but I think Rogers can be replaced adequately by Culliver.

More than anything I hope Bowman returns healthy. Such a warrior, I'd hate to see his carer derailed by an injury.

Would like to have Boldin back for another year. Rogers has to be gone. Gore is a tough one. Makes alot and definately at that point where you have to begin to think of a successor. Hopefully, Lattimore can be that person.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This will be the biggest test for Baalke and the front office because you need a lot of foresight when drawing up the contracts and you need to be pretty spot on when it comes to drafting.

You can be creative with numbers to a certain extent that allow you some flexibility to be able to retain players.

Flacco got a 6 year 120 million but it's not a straight 20 million every season. He only made 6 million this season and most contracts are backloaded in the later years when the player is either going to be cut or a new contract is hammered out before they see it. What NFL players ultimately care about is the guaranteed portion of the contract and they want to big years and numbers to jack up that number.

Sooooo the point is if you structure and juggle the numbers wisely we could retain more key players than what is thought. Say for exmaple give Kap a base of 5 million one season and Aldon 10 million and flip it next season where Kap gets 10 million and Aldon gets 5 million.

The draft comes into play because if you make moves like replacing Goldson with Reid it extends that window you have open that much longer. That's why I loved the Tank and Lattimore moves because yes they are a gamble but if that gamble pays off it pays off big. For the sake of argument if Lattimore more or less returns to form we have an elite RB with top 10 talent in his prime years at the bargain price of a 4th round pick and 4th round contract.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
This will be the biggest test for Baalke and the front office because you need a lot of foresight when drawing up the contracts and you need to be pretty spot on when it comes to drafting.

You can be creative with numbers to a certain extent that allow you some flexibility to be able to retain players.

Flacco got a 6 year 120 million but it's not a straight 20 million every season. He only made 6 million this season and most contracts are backloaded in the later years when the player is either going to be cut or a new contract is hammered out before they see it. What NFL players ultimately care about is the guaranteed portion of the contract and they want to big years and numbers to jack up that number.

Sooooo the point is if you structure and juggle the numbers wisely we could retain more key players than what is thought. Say for exmaple give Kap a base of 5 million one season and Aldon 10 million and flip it next season where Kap gets 10 million and Aldon gets 5 million.

The draft comes into play because if you make moves like replacing Goldson with Reid it extends that window you have open that much longer. That's why I loved the Tank and Lattimore moves because yes they are a gamble but if that gamble pays off it pays off big. For the sake of argument if Lattimore more or less returns to form we have an elite RB with top 10 talent in his prime years at the bargain price of a 4th round pick and 4th round contract.

I agree. That is the NFL. No team can just buy championships. I like it that way.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is what worries me but although the 2012 draft was a disaster of epic proportions, 2013 still has a chance to be a successful one if anyone besides Reid eventually pans out.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fact that he mentions Gore as a possible goner. I figured it would be taboo. Honestly him bouncing would help tremendously cap wise but I just can't see it happening. I think it would wreak havoc on the locker room. Hopefully a big pay cut will be worked out instead.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Gore will take a pay cut, and end his career where it began.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Gore will take a pay cut, and end his career where it began.

Its gonna be a hard decision for the 49ers and an unpopular one if they have to cut him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there are always hard decisions to make, and fan favorites leave sooner or later. it isn't uncommon for favorites to leave earlier than we wanted.

good drafting is always to key for GM's, cause obviously you'd then have a good team. when you're successful drafting good players, managing the cap becomes easier. when cap pressure is relieved from drafting, you don't have to 'chase' bigger FA's.

a team like the current 49ers can survive one bad year (ie 2012), but yeah, two in a row will hurt. 2013 has potential but we can only wait and see?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Gore to be gone or if he does come back he probably should have a reduced role. He is one of my all time favorite 49ers, but we should make evaluation based on talent, and not emotional connections. Toward the end of the season I honestly felt Hunter looked more effective running the ball, He had a higher YPC too, I don't understand why he didn't see the field more. I don't see Gore at his age and bionic body being effective in the playoffs next year if we do make it.

I've seen Rice Montana and Lott get their walking papers, so I won't be to bent out of shape if Frank has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I fully expect Gore to be gone or if he does come back he probably should have a reduced role. He is one of my all time favorite 49ers, but we should make evaluation based on talent, and not emotional connections. Toward the end of the season I honestly felt Hunter looked more effective running the ball, He had a higher YPC too, I don't understand why he didn't see the field more.

I've seen Rice Montana and Lott get their walking papers, so I won't be to bent out of shape if Frank has to go.

cause Gore is a very good pass protector. tough call on Gore due to his cap hit, not his ability. won't get bent out of shape either, we all know the cap must be managed and not one year at a time.

he doesn't have the breakaway speed, but with his ability to "set up blocks", he has a good average. the majority of runs for most RB's are in the 3-4 yard average anyway.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found interesting in that article that Eric Reid didn't commit a penalty all year. Pretty impressive for a safety, and much better than Goldsons at least one personal foul per game average.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Gore to be gone or if he does come back he probably should have a reduced role. He is one of my all time favorite 49ers, but we should make evaluation based on talent, and not emotional connections. Toward the end of the season I honestly felt Hunter looked more effective running the ball, He had a higher YPC too, I don't understand why he didn't see the field more. I don't see Gore at his age and bionic body being effective in the playoffs next year if we do make it.

The excuse has always been Gore's ability to block and Hunter's inability to understand his blocking assignment based on the defensive scheme on a particular play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The excuse has always been Gore's ability to block and Hunter's inability to understand his blocking assignment based on the defensive scheme on a particular play.

IMO its not an excuse, Gore is just solid in not only reading where to block, but also making that good block. Hunter isn't 'lost' but even when he knows where to go, can't make good blocks like Gore.

that said, fine with Hunter starting off the season till they figure out who should play more? the RB spot will be dynamic anyway.