• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am hoping the 49ers at least tie the NFL record for lowest rushing TDs allowed.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a single season.

The record is 2 by the 1942 Bears in 14 games and the 1971 Vikings in 16 games. Last season the 49ers gave up 3 touchdowns in 18 total games. They went 15 games without giving up a rushing TD (NFL record). They gave up 1 rushing TD in week 16 and 2 rushing TDs in week 17.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm personally hoping for a SB win, bottom line. If we're going for cherries on the sundae, I think they showed last year that they are capable of that record but it's a long season.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be excited and have high expectations for the Niners run D since they held Cedric Benson to under 20 yards and Aaron Rodgers was the Packers leading rusher, but Benson looked plain BAD, so its hard to tell i they'll continue the pace of 2011, raise above, or fall. The true testament of whether the Niners D will flirt with history will be when Willis & Co line up against a star RB in a run-first offense.

Initially when the schedules came out I was somewhat worried about a number of the dangerous QBs the Niners face, but upon further review, there are few strong running teams on the schedule for 2012. I think the Niners will have problems with Matt Forte & the Bears ground game, but other than a rejuvenated A.Peterson, I think there is a fair argument to say the Niners Defense has a shot at having one of the best statistical seasons in a long time - but let us look at things week by week (except do it all right now).

Week 2 - vs Lions: Jahvid Best is on the PUP (right?) so, with Leshoure suspended, Kevin Smith gets the heavy load. Smith won't have any break away runs, and inside the redzone my money is on Stafford thrown for any Lions TDs that happen.

Week 3 - @ Vikings: AP scares me, but Ponder doesn't. Niners stack the box & make Ponder make things happen if the Vikings want to score any points. But regardless, AP is AP, so he could score, though I'd put the chances of an AP rushing TD at 35%.

Week 4 - @ Jets: The Jets are a hot mess and could be VERY bad this year. Shonn Greene is the kind of bruiser RB who will barrel over defenders on goal line situations, but Sanchize & Football Jesus #15 need to help him actually get near an endzone first.

Week 5 - vs Bills: Freddy Mercury, errr, I mean Jackson, is better than I ever thought he'd be, but I'm pretty sure he's up there in age (someone please correct me if Jackson is under 30 years old) and I think he'll have a harder time rushing for a TD at Candlestick than if the game was played in Buffalo, or Canada, or in whatever town agrees to cover gas money for the Bills team bus to get to their stadium.

Week 6 - vs Giants: Ahmad Bradshaw can break one to the house, but I think the Niners are going to try to not only beat the Giants, but make an example of them. If Giants win, its by the arm of Manning.

Week 7 - vs Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch fails to go "Beast Mode" for a rushing TD against the Niners because of politics. Having "banned" Chick-fil-A, Happy Meal Toys, & plastic bags @ supermarkets, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, after watching NYC Mayor Bloomberg ban sodas bigger than 16 oz, takes things a step further & banishes Skittles & all other candy from the city "in the name of public health."

Week 8 - @ Cardinals: Its the Cardinals.

Week 9 - Bye Week: Coming off a blistering thrashing of the Cardinals, the Niners have slightly more difficulty with the run game of their week 9 opponent: the Bye Week.

Week 10 - vs Rams: With the Rams, it always depends on health. The Niners are at home for this one, but a healthy Bradford, coupled with a healthy SJax - with decent DBs to boot - could easily result in a rushing TD. Too bad that either Bradford or SJax will be injured, by week 10, depending on God's flip of a coin & Jesus' call in the air.

Week 11 - vs Bears: I think the Niners easily head into this Week 11 game against the Bears having given up only 1 rushing TD, but I think Forte rushes for a TD. If not Forte, Bush will get one..... unless Cutler can find a way to do something like throw 5 interceptions... :evil:

Week 12 - @ Saints: Ingram for a rushing TD? No. Pierre Thomas? Maybe. Drew Brees throws the ball 44 times, abandoning the run? Probably.

Week 13 - @ Rams: Against the Rams - see above - but warning signs of a trap game & StL @ home. St Louis puts up a fight, and play well at times through sheer grit (like they did against the Saints in 2011), but any possible rushing TD will come from luck or a huge mistake by the D.

Week 14 - vs Dolphins: The Niners are fucked, here, because Reggie Bush takes a toss to the right side, jumps over a diving Ray McDonald, somehow changes direction in mid air, then scampers for a 61 yard TD. Could happen up to 3 times.

Week 15 - @ Patriots: Do the Patriots even run the ball? Tom Brady will get a rushing TD before SF lets Vreen get one. Justin Smith grabs Danny Woodhead & eats his head like Ozzy Osbourne.

Week 16 - @ Seahawks: Once back in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch, still mad about SF's candy prohibition, freebases Skittles before the game. He has a heart attack in the 2nd quarter & is taken to a hospital until he stabilizes. No rushing TD.

Week 17 - vs Cardinals: [insert Quarterback here] gets nothing going as the Cardinals O-line do their best FSU impression. Beanie Wells makes a last ditch effort to make next year's Dancing with the Stars.

So, yeah, I think once week 17 is over the Niners will have allowed 3 rushing TDs during season, same as last year.

:spy:

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In a single season.

The record is 2 by the 1942 Bears in 14 games and the 1971 Vikings in 16 games. Last season the 49ers gave up 3 touchdowns in 18 total games. They went 15 games without giving up a rushing TD (NFL record). They gave up 1 rushing TD in week 16 and 2 rushing TDs in week 17.

yes, we all HOPE no doubt. but tie the regular season record of 2 in 16 games? realistically, i say nope.

it does help that some of these teams are simply passing teams. those that aren't, will likely pass more than they normally would.

we might get close as long as our offense or ST's don't turn it over close to our goal?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Least rushing yards allowed in a season is held by the 2000 Baltimore Ravens at 970

That's a record I think we really DO have a chance to destroy! Rodgers and Benson combined for 45 yards total rushing yards. I have my doubts that the Lions could duplicate Green Bay's effort, they're definitely not going to want to run the ball

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Least rushing yards allowed in a season is held by the 2000 Baltimore Ravens at 970

That's a record I think we really DO have a chance to destroy! Rodgers and Benson combined for 45 yards total rushing yards. I have my doubts that the Lions could duplicate Green Bay's effort, they're definitely not going to want to run the ball

yeah agree that seems more reachable, and for the same reasons as TD's. we play against pass oriented teams like GB and Detroit. next, i'd think the other teams will game plan a little more pass?

also, IF we get out to more leads, then we'd force even more passing right? i know this would be a small factor, but a factor?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats why i asked, isn't the reguylar season record 2 by the Vikings? if so, then you've predicted the 49ers will double the record?

Doubling records is a good thing, therefore I consider 4 to be half the record. ;)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doubling records is a good thing, therefore I consider 4 to be half the record. ;)

well thats one way to look at it.

anyway,the 49ers would do well to get close again.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree! It's only the first game - so I get that, but the 970 rushing yard record "could" be in jeopordy this year and not just by us. There were 7 teams which held teams to under 60-yards this past Sunday.

We held GB to 45 yards and we are currently tied for 6th in the league for rushing defense. By contrast last year after week one we would have been tied for 3rd with 45 Yards.

Last year during week one there were 823 rushing attempts for 3368 yards for an average of 4.1 YPA

This year during week one there were 822 rushing attempts for 3152 yards for an average of 3.8 YPA

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we can jump out to leads against teams i could see us breaking the ravens yards allowed mark.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be excited and have high expectations for the Niners run D since they held Cedric Benson to under 20 yards and Aaron Rodgers was the Packers leading rusher, but Benson looked plain BAD, so its hard to tell i they'll continue the pace of 2011, raise above, or fall. The true testament of whether the Niners D will flirt with history will be when Willis & Co line up against a star RB in a run-first offense.

Initially when the schedules came out I was somewhat worried about a number of the dangerous QBs the Niners face, but upon further review, there are few strong running teams on the schedule for 2012. I think the Niners will have problems with Matt Forte & the Bears ground game, but other than a rejuvenated A.Peterson, I think there is a fair argument to say the Niners Defense has a shot at having one of the best statistical seasons in a long time - but let us look at things week by week (except do it all right now).

Week 2 - vs Lions: Jahvid Best is on the PUP (right?) so, with Leshoure suspended, Kevin Smith gets the heavy load. Smith won't have any break away runs, and inside the redzone my money is on Stafford thrown for any Lions TDs that happen.

Week 3 - @ Vikings: AP scares me, but Ponder doesn't. Niners stack the box & make Ponder make things happen if the Vikings want to score any points. But regardless, AP is AP, so he could score, though I'd put the chances of an AP rushing TD at 35%.

Week 4 - @ Jets: The Jets are a hot mess and could be VERY bad this year. Shonn Greene is the kind of bruiser RB who will barrel over defenders on goal line situations, but Sanchize & Football Jesus #15 need to help him actually get near an endzone first.

Week 5 - vs Bills: Freddy Mercury, errr, I mean Jackson, is better than I ever thought he'd be, but I'm pretty sure he's up there in age (someone please correct me if Jackson is under 30 years old) and I think he'll have a harder time rushing for a TD at Candlestick than if the game was played in Buffalo, or Canada, or in whatever town agrees to cover gas money for the Bills team bus to get to their stadium.

Week 6 - vs Giants: Ahmad Bradshaw can break one to the house, but I think the Niners are going to try to not only beat the Giants, but make an example of them. If Giants win, its by the arm of Manning.

Week 7 - vs Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch fails to go "Beast Mode" for a rushing TD against the Niners because of politics. Having "banned" Chick-fil-A, Happy Meal Toys, & plastic bags @ supermarkets, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, after watching NYC Mayor Bloomberg ban sodas bigger than 16 oz, takes things a step further & banishes Skittles & all other candy from the city "in the name of public health."

Week 8 - @ Cardinals: Its the Cardinals.

Week 9 - Bye Week: Coming off a blistering thrashing of the Cardinals, the Niners have slightly more difficulty with the run game of their week 9 opponent: the Bye Week.

Week 10 - vs Rams: With the Rams, it always depends on health. The Niners are at home for this one, but a healthy Bradford, coupled with a healthy SJax - with decent DBs to boot - could easily result in a rushing TD. Too bad that either Bradford or SJax will be injured, by week 10, depending on God's flip of a coin & Jesus' call in the air.

Week 11 - vs Bears: I think the Niners easily head into this Week 11 game against the Bears having given up only 1 rushing TD, but I think Forte rushes for a TD. If not Forte, Bush will get one..... unless Cutler can find a way to do something like throw 5 interceptions... :evil:

Week 12 - @ Saints: Ingram for a rushing TD? No. Pierre Thomas? Maybe. Drew Brees throws the ball 44 times, abandoning the run? Probably.

Week 13 - @ Rams: Against the Rams - see above - but warning signs of a trap game & StL @ home. St Louis puts up a fight, and play well at times through sheer grit (like they did against the Saints in 2011), but any possible rushing TD will come from luck or a huge mistake by the D.

Week 14 - vs Dolphins: The Niners are fucked, here, because Reggie Bush takes a toss to the right side, jumps over a diving Ray McDonald, somehow changes direction in mid air, then scampers for a 61 yard TD. Could happen up to 3 times.

Week 15 - @ Patriots: Do the Patriots even run the ball? Tom Brady will get a rushing TD before SF lets Vreen get one. Justin Smith grabs Danny Woodhead & eats his head like Ozzy Osbourne.

Week 16 - @ Seahawks: Once back in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch, still mad about SF's candy prohibition, freebases Skittles before the game. He has a heart attack in the 2nd quarter & is taken to a hospital until he stabilizes. No rushing TD.

Week 17 - vs Cardinals: [insert Quarterback here] gets nothing going as the Cardinals O-line do their best FSU impression. Beanie Wells makes a last ditch effort to make next year's Dancing with the Stars.

So, yeah, I think once week 17 is over the Niners will have allowed 3 rushing TDs during season, same as last year.

:spy:

In the couple of games the Niners have played the vikings, didn't they handle him pretty well??

The first game was his worst as a pro: 14 carries for 3 yards

The second game 19 carries for 85 yards. And that was the year they almost went to the Superbowl. No TDs in either game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Tall Glass,

I recall you being an SC fan.., What do you think of our boys this year? Big game against the Indians this Saturday in palo Alto.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Tall Glass,

I recall you being an SC fan.., What do you think of our boys this year? Big game against the Indians this Saturday in palo Alto.

Touche!