• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2017 Season

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! They should've have learned that they were coming into the season with a bulls eye on their backs!
Defending champs, everyone wants what they had. or to make damn sure they didn't repeat.
They lost on the road to two pretty decent teams, ASU ended with 7 wins and 9 win Stanford. Win one of those and we are in the same position as last year. Considering all the injuries that the team endured, I would call it a successful season. We shouldn't lose much this year and should be the conference favorite again.

And oh, if you guys didn't see, one of our cupcakes won their 9th game of the season last night.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were tail gating out in front of the crew house yesterday, and my oldest is about to start his journey in high school and with his playing ball after high school. Now in a round about way we were with friends of mine that were on the 91 team. So he got to hold a Natty ring, watched the team roll in on the buses then he sat for the first time in Husky stadium and took it all in. Afterwards walking out after the beat down, he says "dad you and uncle Steve talk about this going to the next level, it's there isn't it?" I said the "most sicken feeling I had in this stadium was after Charlie Weis Irish coming in here and beating the Dawgs in the most ugliest way possible, and I walked out thinking the program was heading for a downward spiral for awhile, tonight I walk out of here knowing that this program is in the hands of a man that taken it even further of what DJ built here, and powerhouse and UW football are going to be used in the same sentence very, very soon!"

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I don't see it as Browning taking any steps back. There were issues with this offense this year for sure and it wasn't as prolific as it was last year, but Browning wasn't the problem IMO.

It's not as simple either as just Ross isn't there to bail him out anymore.

Look at the list of injuries. What, 5 receivers/TE's? :noidea: You were going to miss Ross if you had a full stable of options, but every week they lost another guy and every time it was the second most receptions behind Pettis. It got more and more thin as the conference season wore on.

Losing Chico was just huge. He was your legit speed guy that would help spread the defense and keep the safeties back. Why they didn't slide Ahmed over to the Z at least I don't know, but that's Smith for you.

Part of the problem is with all these new receivers coming in each week they have seriously dropped the types of passes they can throw. You just can't trust guys you don't have a history with in throwing them open or with anticipation. You have to rely far more on the only throw to them when they actually run a route correctly and find themselves more or less open. That's not on Smith or Jake. It's just the problems of having so many unproven guys trying to run routes.

Smith was a huge problem with the offense this year IMO. You had a mostly returning offensive line and 3 insanely solid runners and yet they kept forcing the passing game instead of just pounding the god damned football.

Why did it take all the way to the AC for them to have such a solid blocking plan for the running game?

Browning didn't hit 100y but so what? That's the offense they should have had all year! Play to your strengths and minimize your weakness. You have a depleted receiving core. Run the fucking football. It's not rocket science. And it works!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I still have to call this a successful season. It met the minimum bar for that, but still met it. 10 regular season wins and beat both the ducks and cougs and did so without leaving any doubt in either. More pure ass kicking.

First time since '90-'91 they had back to back 10+ win seasons. Neither loss was a blow out.

Not excited about their bowl game opportunities, but that's life at this level of football.

Future is still looking bright, but I think most of us agree they would love to see a change at OC and start landing some of those 5* and upper 4* kids they go after and seem to mostly be losing on. They won't reach the level we all want without seriously adding to their depth and overall talent level.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I don't see it as Browning taking any steps back. There were issues with this offense this year for sure and it wasn't as prolific as it was last year, but Browning wasn't the problem IMO.

It's not as simple either as just Ross isn't there to bail him out anymore.

Look at the list of injuries. What, 5 receivers/TE's? :noidea: You were going to miss Ross if you had a full stable of options, but every week they lost another guy and every time it was the second most receptions behind Pettis. It got more and more thin as the conference season wore on.

Losing Chico was just huge. He was your legit speed guy that would help spread the defense and keep the safeties back. Why they didn't slide Ahmed over to the Z at least I don't know, but that's Smith for you.

Part of the problem is with all these new receivers coming in each week they have seriously dropped the types of passes they can throw. You just can't trust guys you don't have a history with in throwing them open or with anticipation. You have to rely far more on the only throw to them when they actually run a route correctly and find themselves more or less open. That's not on Smith or Jake. It's just the problems of having so many unproven guys trying to run routes.

Smith was a huge problem with the offense this year IMO. You had a mostly returning offensive line and 3 insanely solid runners and yet they kept forcing the passing game instead of just pounding the god damned football.

Why did it take all the way to the AC for them to have such a solid blocking plan for the running game?

Browning didn't hit 100y but so what? That's the offense they should have had all year! Play to your strengths and minimize your weakness. You have a depleted receiving core. Run the fucking football. It's not rocket science. And it works!
In regards to the second half of your post, I would say that the teams most successful games Browning threw for less than 100 yards.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I'm starting to get depressed knowing the bowl game is the only thing left for the year... :gaah:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I'm starting to get depressed knowing the bowl game is the only thing left for the year... :gaah:
It's usually by the army/navy game that the depression starts setting in for me. Just a few crap bowls leading into a flurry of decent games and then BAM. The looooooooooong off season. :tsk:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's usually by the army/navy game that the depression starts setting in for me. Just a few crap bowls leading into a flurry of decent games and then BAM. The looooooooooong off season. :tsk:

Yeah I actually sat down to watch the Apple Cup I DVR'd.......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I actually sat down to watch the Apple Cup I DVR'd.......
I've made it through like the 3rd quarter of my recorded version. Saw that the Pac12 in 60 was up for it, but didn't grab it.

The take away was really the domination of both lines. Like complete and total domination. Watching the replay of Vea coming through double teams and still getting sacks/hurries/knockdowns was just amazing. Gaines was doing that as well. When you can rush 3 against 5 and still get to the QB the other team literally has no chance and it showed big time.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've made it through like the 3rd quarter of my recorded version. Saw that the Pac12 in 60 was up for it, but didn't grab it.

The take away was really the domination of both lines. Like complete and total domination. Watching the replay of Vea coming through double teams and still getting sacks/hurries/knockdowns was just amazing. Gaines was doing that as well. When you can rush 3 against 5 and still get to the QB the other team literally has no chance and it showed big time.

Brady Quinn kept saying it over and over in the 1st half...
It was amazing to see, Whattenberg at OT is very interesting, I think as time progresses he may end up staying out there instead of moving him to the inside...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit I just saw on FB that the Times is reporting Smith will be named the head coach down at OSu :hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With everything that has gone down so far, UW has a pretty solid chance at a NY6 game.
It's my understanding that we needed booth TCU to get spanked and Wisconsin to win. So far Wisconsin is looking like the frauds we all thought they were. Doubt it's going to happen

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that we needed booth TCU to get spanked and Wisconsin to win. So far Wisconsin is looking like the frauds we all thought they were. Doubt it's going to happen

What NYrs bowl game could the get if Wis defeated OSU?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What NYrs bowl game could the get if Wis defeated OSU?
The way it was explained the other day you needed to knock both TCU and Ohio State lower priority than UW to give them a shot at the Cotton.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way it was explained the other day you needed to knock both TCU and Ohio State lower priority than UW to give them a shot at the Cotton.

Interesting. I didn't even know the Huskies were eligible for the cotton bowl. I was figuring Holiday or crappy Sun Bowl.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that did happen Wiz, any rumors who the Dawgs would face?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that did happen Wiz, any rumors who the Dawgs would face?
The NY6 outside of the playoff games have conf tie ins, but there are a couple of at large that presumably would grab whatever team in the top 10 not already in a top bowl travels well. It's all pure guessing at this point.

I think it's an outside chance they get into a NY6 even if Wisconsin comes back to win this game.

They should be headed to the Alamo.