• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurts getting paid

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but being stupid is no way to go through life

Hmm

So applying similar logic it would be ridiculous for someone to prowl Deshaun Watson threads claiming he's effectively washed up considering his first 2 to 4 years smoke anything Dak or Jalen have put up over a 3 year period or is it possible a guy can regress as we saw with Dak (and Watson) last year?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way it's correct. Not trying to hate and yes you can kick the can but that kicking the can doesn't exist....I mean...I suppose you could conceivably tag let's say 100 million of this onto the front end of another future deal but his cap hit would become something like 80 90 mil per for 5 years.

The way that looks ( according to Schefter) there is still 170 million to account for and one season to do it. So let's argue for season 5 they make it 80 million and stretch 90 over the next 5 years on top of another 5 year deal. Eventually the bill comes due.

The Browns did something similar with Thornhill albeit much less money.
Full details haven't been released but wouldn't be surprised if void years are included (which I think NFL should get rid of).

It's good move by Philly unless hurts regresses and they need to part ways.

Philly has essentially restructured his deal up front instead of doing it every year like other teams.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm

So applying similar logic it would be ridiculous for someone to prowl Deshaun Watson threads claiming he's effectively washed up considering his first 2 to 4 years smoke anything Dak or Jalen have put up over a 3 year period or is it possible a guy can regress as we saw with Dak (and Watson) last year?
You should research player stats before shooting from the hip.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should research player stats before shooting from the hip.

Not shooting from the hip

2020 dak played all of 5 games
2017 he had a 86 qb rating
2018 he had a sub 60 qbr

Watson never had a qb rating below 98 and never had a sub 60 qbr

And that is also taking into account his dreadful ol (whereas dak had had just about the best in the league)

But back on point Dak clearly regressed last year.... which is what matters in relation to Hurts

Right now I'd much rather have Jalen.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full details haven't been released but wouldn't be surprised if void years are included (which I think NFL should get rid of).

Philly has essentially restructured his deal up front instead of doing it every year like other teams.

Be interested to see how it is truly structured. On face value it didn't look like they included his signing bonus.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Parker or Nolan Ryan? First for 1 million a year? Doesn’t really matter it’s all lost its relevance now. I remember Rickey Henderson saying some thing like I don’t think I can play hard for less in 1 million bucks. Something like that.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Schefter is right about the cap hit the next 4 years it's definitely NOT front loaded.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Parker or Nolan Ryan? First for 1 million a year? Doesn’t really matter it’s all lost its relevance now. I remember Rickey Henderson saying some thing like I don’t think I can play hard for less in 1 million bucks. Something like that.
He also took his first million dollar check, framed it and hung it on his wall.

It took the A’s accounting department realizing they had a spare million bucks for him to actually take it to the bank.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what the Brown family does in regards to Burrow. They can't cheap out. Burrow's agent has to be chomping at the bit right now. The Bengals would be wise to get that one done sooner rather than later, imo. If they wait and a big Lamar deal hits or Herbert gets a boatload, it will cost them a lot more.
And the beat goes on regarding QB contracts. Kind of ironic that Mahomes could be the 7th or 8th highest paid AAV QB soon.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shooting from the hip

2020 dak played all of 5 games
2017 he had a 86 qb rating
2018 he had a sub 60 qbr

Watson never had a qb rating below 98 and never had a sub 60 qbr

And that is also taking into account his dreadful ol (whereas dak had had just about the best in the league)

But back on point Dak clearly regressed last year.... which is what matters in relation to Hurts

Right now I'd much rather have Jalen.
That's all fine and well. Least you got to bring watson into the conversation.

Superior passer?
Not with the 22 tds and 3701 passing yards as personal season highs.

Now your opinion, who one would rather have as their QB?
All good, but tap the brakes on pronouncing Hurts the superior passer already...

Passer ratings?
LOL

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minshew>Hurts

I was a fan, but you gotta admit he looked pretty bad when stepping in to run the same offense Hurts had been lighting up the league with.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a fan, but you gotta admit he looked pretty bad when stepping in to run the same offense Hurts had been lighting up the league with.
Mariota was an upgrade. And as a bonus his style of play and what he does well fits in with an offense designed around the talents of Jalen Hurts. No need now to reinvent the offense for the back up or force a square peg in a round hole.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way it's correct. Not trying to hate and yes you can kick the can but that kicking the can doesn't exist....I mean...I suppose you could conceivably tag let's say 100 million of this onto the front end of another future deal but his cap hit would become something like 80 90 mil per for 5 years.

The way that looks ( according to Schefter) there is still 170 million to account for and one season to do it. So let's argue for season 5 they make it 80 million and stretch 90 over the next 5 years on top of another 5 year deal. Eventually the bill comes due.

The Browns did something similar with Thornhill albeit much less money.

I am no cap expert, but from what I have read, you can manipulate the cap by structuring contracts with large prorated signing bonuses and incentive targets that players are likely to hit but don't count against the cap immediately. Also, the Eagles are restructuring now, using the existing 3 years on Hurt's deal to leverage this whole thing asap.

Also the use of void years to stretch out the proration, as @PnkPanther noted, which is a controversial tactic that I do believe the NFL will probably outlaw eventually because it makes a mockery of the cap.

I think the big risk for Philly would be if Hurts gets hurt or somehow flames out and retires or something, but those risks appear reasonable to me.

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no cap expert, but from what I have read, you can manipulate the cap by structuring contracts with large prorated signing bonuses and incentive targets that players are likely to hit but don't count against the cap immediately.

I think the big risk for Philly would be if Hurts gets hurt or somehow flames out and retires or something, but those risks appear reasonable to me.

The NFL salary cap isn’t real if you know how to work the system. When the dead cap is set to hit, it will be time to renegotiate which allows them to juke the dead cap money.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Schefter is right about the cap hit the next 4 years it's definitely NOT front loaded.
Didn't say it was.

I'm saying they've already done the restructuring we see teams do every year

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty much what I expected and I am just glad they got it done as early as possible. Now the challenge is continuing to build around him.

Best to get it done before a few more names get re-signed and push those dollars north.