• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurts getting paid

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed that part.
Most teams in the NFL need to pass down there to score TDs. Your demand of rushing TDs being a consideration is sound. Hurts legs is a red zone weapon, especially inside the 10 yard line. So the Eagles utilize that talent and it led to double digit rushing TDs. If he was Herbert or Cousins or any other QB his TD passing totals would be larger. He used that metric to bang him as less than as a passer. He’s misusing a data point. You’ll have to forgive him. Just like his team, dude is just an also ran as a poster and a student of the game of football.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The full details aren't yet available but for now the numbers on the Hurts contract look sensible. The headline is the $255M extension but it's really a new contract for $259M/6 years. For comparison Murray got $266M/7 years. Hurts is getting his contract 1 year later so all the year values should have increased in line with the rate of the salary cap increase. Murray's 1st 6 years are $222M so at 8% the 2023 value would be $239M. Hurts is better now than Murray was then. His new contract makes sense to me. Murray was fully guaranteed the 1st 3 years at $103M. Other guarantees kick in later. Hurts is fully guaranteed $110M. Other guarantees kick in later.

For my money as of April 2023 Hurts > Jackson > Murray. Hurts was under contract for $4M in 2023 so the Eagles didn't have to pay a full market price. Jackson is under the franchise tag which Hurts wouldn't have been under until 2024. Jackson should be looking for closer to 100% of his full value than Hurts was able to. I think $259M/6 years with 3 years fully guaranteed at $120M is about Jackson's ceiling.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts in the super bowl was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a QB. While Brady had his share of WTF moments, Hurts did everything. Played better as a passer than I thought he was capable of but also ran well in critical situations.

If he can do that in the super bowl you gotta keep that guy. The Eagles had a ton of turnover in the offseason and it will take some magic from Hurts to keep them in contention.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts in the super bowl was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a QB. While Brady had his share of WTF moments, Hurts did everything. Played better as a passer than I thought he was capable of but also ran well in critical situations.

If he can do that in the super bowl you gotta keep that guy. The Eagles had a ton of turnover in the offseason and it will take some magic from Hurts to keep them in contention.
Wish he could have that costly fumble back in what would become a one score finish.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen's development is not in question here. It's the lack of respect for Lamar.
This is the Hurts thread.

There's plenty of conversation about Lamar in the Lamar thread. Make sure you don't miss it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty much what I expected and I am just glad they got it done as early as possible. Now the challenge is continuing to build around him.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is the fucking man. By the time you get to 2026, the cap is going to be over 300 million dollars.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly one of the dumbest signings I've seen in NFL history...

Hurts played well... but THAT kind of well? The whole reason the Eagles competed was without doubt the rest of their team, which they can't resign now thanks to this stupid contract.

D- grade. I'd give it an F if it wasn't a QB and possible upside that this dork has. Eagles are back to mediocrity folks.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly one of the dumbest signings I've seen in NFL history...

Hurts played well... but THAT kind of well? The whole reason the Eagles competed was without doubt the rest of their team, which they can't resign now thanks to this stupid contract.

D- grade. I'd give it an F if it wasn't a QB and possible upside that this dork has. Eagles are back to mediocrity folks.
Look at the cap numbers in the post above yours bwahahahaha! I feel even better about this looking at the grade of a simpleton. Good luck with Jeff Blake 2.0, my guy.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the cap numbers in the post above yours bwahahahaha! I feel even better about this looking at the grade of a simpleton. Good luck with Jeff Blake 2.0, my guy.

That does not reflect the dead cap or the contract details at all... You actually read that and assumed the cap hit by 2027 is going to be $175M?

Get off Twitter fightin.. it'll do you good in the long run.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does not reflect the dead cap or the contract details at all... You actually read that and assumed the cap hit by 2027 is going to be $175M?

Get off Twitter fightin.. it'll do you good in the long run.
It reflects the only number that matters when it comes to your claim of them being unable to resign the members of the team they want to keep. Those numbers are the only ones that matter. I don’t know why we have to do this all the time. Some front offices are better at cap management than others. It’s the very best thing that Howie Roseman does. This contract was crafted to give them flexibility with maintaining the other pieces.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It reflects the only number that matters when it comes to your claim of them being unable to resign the members of the team they want to keep. Those numbers are the only ones that matter. I don’t know why we have to do this all the time. Some front offices are better at cap management than others. It’s the very best thing that Howie Roseman does. This contract was crafted to give them flexibility with maintaining the other pieces.

giphy.gif

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers don't add up.
There is likely a ton of dead cap lurking in the following 2 years from the tweet. They likely renegotiate 3 years from now allowing them to kick the can down the road again. Their plan is to seemingly build a franchise that can take a swing every year for a 6-8 year window and then when the window closes during a rebuild they eat a hunk of the nut they’re kicking down the road. It’s a bet on the NFL and the ever expanding player pool for the cap.

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason Schefter is trying to say his signing bonus isn't a cap hit. Which it most certainly is.

My favorite comment in this tweet:
The NFL salary cap isn’t real if you know what you’re doing.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The backloaded cap numbers mean the Philly window to win is wide open. Howie plays chess while some teams play checkers. Watch him renegotiate the deal in 2027 also!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers don't add up.

There's no way it's correct. Not trying to hate and yes you can kick the can but that kicking the can doesn't exist....I mean...I suppose you could conceivably tag let's say 100 million of this onto the front end of another future deal but his cap hit would become something like 80 90 mil per for 5 years.

The way that looks ( according to Schefter) there is still 170 million to account for and one season to do it. So let's argue for season 5 they make it 80 million and stretch 90 over the next 5 years on top of another 5 year deal. Eventually the bill comes due.

The Browns did something similar with Thornhill albeit much less money.