• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurley: "You don't need a shutdown corner to win a SuperBowl"

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget all of that. The Patriots endured a 10-year Super Bowl “drought” because they didn’t have a shutdown cornerback.

Sounds stupid, right?

If you’re still unconvinced at the general premise, take a look at the list of starting cornerbacks (per pro-football-reference) from all of the Super Bowls that took place during that long, difficult stretch where the Patriots failed to be the one team to end the season with a win.

XLVIII: Richard Sherman, Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell
XLVII: Corey Graham, Cary Williams
XLVI: Corey Webster, Aaron Ross
XLV: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams
XLIV: Jabari Greer, Tracey Porter
XLIII: Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden
XLII: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster
XLI: Nick Harper, Jason David
XL: Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you NEED one, but a good corner can make up a deficit in the pass rush, which at some point during the game WILL happen (just can't get there, held and refs don't call it, etc.)

I feel like the past Super Bowl winners have had decent corners.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very mediocre cbs on that list excluding sherm & tramond
exactly. it makes you realize a shut down corner is a luxury, but not everyone has that...you can scheme around it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are very few shutdown corners. So of course you don't need a shutdown need one to win a Super Bowl.

What you DO need is the ability to disrupt the other teams passing game. The Giants won 2 Super Bowls because of a dominant pass rush, and average corners.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, ya just need a video camera and a needle; everyone knows that.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very mediocre cbs on that list excluding sherm & tramond

Most of those pairings were well above average, even approaching elite, in the years that they won the SB's.

I don't believe that a single one of those teams didn't have a member of their secondary in the pro bowl the years they won. And most had multiple guys. The only outlier I think is the Giant's teams.

You don't need a shutdown corner....but you need a good secondary.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, ya just need a video camera and a needle; everyone knows that.
you forgot the HGH and a misguided conspriracy that kraft and goodell gangbang high priced call girls together. they high 5, one on one end, one on the other.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are just very very few Shutdown Corners. Look at the highest paid Corner group. Revis, yes, Sherman, yes, PEterson, gets mentioned with this group but last year he was very average, Haden, yes..... thats about it right? I mean im sure someone will throw a name on this list but those are 4 guys that could be called shutdown corners (one of them was not last year so 3 guys) Hell there are more "elite" qb's in this league then shut down corners.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you forgot the HGH and a misguided conspriracy that kraft and goodell gangbang high priced call girls together. they high 5, one on one end, one on the other.

Dude with their combined wealth they better be.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of those pairings were well above average, even approaching elite, in the years that they won the SB's.

I don't believe that a single one of those teams didn't have a member of their secondary in the pro bowl the years they won. And most had multiple guys. The only outlier I think is the Giant's teams.

You don't need a shutdown corner....but you need a good secondary.

Can we all agree making the probowl isn't the way to judge talent. Give me all pro. Hell Andy fucking dalton made the pro bowl this year.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we all agree making the probowl isn't the way to judge talent. Give me all pro. Hell Andy fucking dalton made the pro bowl this year.
good god no. probowls are like gold gloves.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no such thing as a "shut down" corner in today's NFL.

The term is a joke. Every cb in NFL can get beat.

Prime Time was the last true shutdown cb.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bad players almost never make the pro bowl. That's all I was saying really. It is usually above average players that play there.

You don't need a Deon Sanders to win a SB...but look at that list. Those are all above average CB's across the board during those years. And it's not only one good CB on the teams...it's two. And most of those teams had stud safeties on the teams to boot (Reed, Sharper, Polamalu, Sanders, Rolle ect).

You are a NE fan trying to justify the loss of Revis. That's fine. NE probably would have had a tough time affording him. But the simple fact is that, as of this moment, NE almost assuredly doesn't have a team that could win a SB because of how poor their secondary is right now. They have time to fix it but it is something that needs to happen to be a true contender next year. Right now they look like the team from 2010-2013 where their defense was always in the bottom 1/3rd of the league as opposed to last year where they were an average to good unit.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no such thing as a "shut down" corner in today's NFL.

The term is a joke. Every cb in NFL can get beat.

Prime Time was the last true shutdown cb.
revis most definitely was in his early years in NJ.

ty law in his prime most definitely.

richard sherman can only play one side of the field, so hes out...

and deion was the best i have ever seen. the most underrated to me is mike haynes (hard to underrate a HOFer) but the guy gets no love historically.

shit, it took 40 years for dick lebeau to get his due.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
revis most definitely was in his early years in NJ.

ty law in his prime most definitely.

richard sherman can only play one side of the field, so hes out...

and deion was the best i have ever seen. the most underrated to me is mike haynes (hard to underrate a HOFer) but the guy gets no love historically.

shit, it took 40 years for dick lebeau to get his due.
Mike Haynes def gets the love around my family.

Him and Lester Hays were bad dudes back in the day.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Haynes def gets the love around my family.

Him and Lester Hays were bad dudes back in the day.
one of the biggest errors the pats ever made aside from letting lisa olson into the locker room was letting haynes walk.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad players almost never make the pro bowl. That's all I was saying really. It is usually above average players that play there.

You don't need a Deon Sanders to win a SB...but look at that list. Those are all above average CB's across the board during those years. And it's not only one good CB on the teams...it's two. And most of those teams had stud safeties on the teams to boot (Reed, Sharper, Polamalu, Sanders, Rolle ect).

You are a NE fan trying to justify the loss of Revis. That's fine. NE probably would have had a tough time affording him. But the simple fact is that, as of this moment, NE almost assuredly doesn't have a team that could win a SB because of how poor their secondary is right now. They have time to fix it but it is something that needs to happen to be a true contender next year. Right now they look like the team from 2010-2013 where their defense was always in the bottom 1/3rd of the league as opposed to last year where they were an average to good unit.

Im a New England fan... ahhh What???????