• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurley: "You don't need a shutdown corner to win a SuperBowl"

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what?

Tell you what. Show me a single scouting report in which they said that Sherman's inability to play on the right was a problem and I will openly concede your point.

Here are some reports you should not look at that though..

Richard Sherman 2011 NFL Draft Profile - ESPN

or here...

WalterFootball.com: 2011 NFL Draft: Cornerback Rankings

or here...

2011 Cornerback Scouting Reports - Draft Insider

or this video in which about 40% of plays highlighted were on the right side...

why does it have to be from your sources?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Seriously some of the things people will say to defend an argument."

There's a lot of guys on the Hoop who would get a big kick out him saying that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why does it have to be from your sources?

It doesn't. I was helping you out by pointing to sources that did NOT say that one of his flaws was that he only played on one side of the ball. That way when you go look for your sources you can skip these.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of guys on the Hoop who would get a big kick out him saying that.
seems like the type ;)

i just remember seeing a thing on him on espn and they said that was a knock on him at stanford. shit, graham got drafted higher and he played 13 games, one year, and caught 17 balls...so its not so much the "its a new position" for him. graham went to a different SPORT and got drafted higher.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value of a player like Revis is that he helped control a huge section of the field. And that allowed the rest of the defense to do their jobs better. Much better.

Rex Ryan is an excellent defensive coach but he looked great when he had Revis on the team. The same with Belichick and the Patriots D.

You may not need a shutdown corner but it sure helps and a player like Revis is a HUGE impact.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value of a player like Revis is that he helped control a huge section of the field. And that allowed the rest of the defense to do their jobs better. Much better.

Rex Ryan is an excellent defensive coach but he looked great when he had Revis on the team. The same with Belichick and the Patriots D.

You may not need a shutdown corner but it sure helps and a player like Revis is a HUGE impact.
i have no ill feelings towards revis. i always wanted him here, we got him for a year and it paid off.

couldnt be happier. there was no way he was coming back here either. it was NJ or bust for revis.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like the type ;)

i just remember seeing a thing on him on espn and they said that was a knock on him at stanford. shit, graham got drafted higher and he played 13 games, one year, and caught 17 balls...so its not so much the "its a new position" for him. graham went to a different SPORT and got drafted higher.

Graham is a physically gifted athlete. And he plays a position where you don't need to have a lot of experience in the sport. Run fast, out muscle the guy covering you and catch the ball. Heck they didn't even care that he can't block. Still don't.

An inexperienced cornerback usually is a guy who never sees the field because he gets burnt. A lot. The reason that Sherman has played well beyond his draft status is because he dedicated himself to learning the position and he was drafted by a team that was coached by one of the best DB coaches of the last 20 years.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have no ill feelings towards revis. i always wanted him here, we got him for a year and it paid off.

couldnt be happier. there was no way he was coming back here either. it was NJ or bust for revis.

Same here BUT after seeing how a good to great defense is supposed to look again it would have been real nice to keep the D together.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is a physically gifted athlete. And he plays a position where you don't need to have a lot of experience in the sport. Run fast, out muscle the guy covering you and catch the ball. Heck they didn't even care that he can't block. Still don't.

An inexperienced cornerback usually is a guy who never sees the field because he gets burnt. A lot. The reason that Sherman has played well beyond his draft status is because he dedicated himself to learning the position and he was drafted by a team that was coached by one of the best DB coaches of the last 20 years.
"those who cant catch, play CB"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here BUT after seeing how a good to great defense is supposed to look again it would have been real nice to keep the D together.
believe me, id have loved to see that browner/revis combo for another 3 years.

from what i read tho, he was only going to NJ. nowhere else.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you have freeny and mathis on both sides and bob sanders as the eraser . you don't need great corners but i would think they had some good safeties like colts had sanders and betha .

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget all of that. The Patriots endured a 10-year Super Bowl “drought” because they didn’t have a shutdown cornerback.

Sounds stupid, right?

If you’re still unconvinced at the general premise, take a look at the list of starting cornerbacks (per pro-football-reference) from all of the Super Bowls that took place during that long, difficult stretch where the Patriots failed to be the one team to end the season with a win.

XLVIII: Richard Sherman, Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell
XLVII: Corey Graham, Cary Williams
XLVI: Corey Webster, Aaron Ross
XLV: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams
XLIV: Jabari Greer, Tracey Porter
XLIII: Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden
XLII: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster
XLI: Nick Harper, Jason David
XL: Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend

No doubt ... You gotta have defense... Without a good D it's very tough to win it all ....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
believe me, id have loved to see that browner/revis combo for another 3 years.

from what i read tho, he was only going to NJ. nowhere else.
That's all bullshit. Revis took the better offer. He was always going to take the better offer.
Well played by a true professional.....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes we are way too hung up on labels. Shut down or not, CBs are important in today's game. If you're spending a really high draft pick on something other than a QB, pass rusher, pass blocker, or CB then you're probably not using it very wisely.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes we are way too hung up on labels. Shut down or not, CBs are important in today's game. If you're spending a really high draft pick on something other than a QB, pass rusher, pass blocker, or CB then you're probably not using it very wisely.
Left O-tackle?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BB has a total of 6 SB rings and only one with Revis on his defense. I'm not saying Revis was not an integral part of the last year's D (he was) or that I didn't want to see him come back, just that BB has won a handful of rings without him.

Maybe Rex needs him more :noidea: