• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many quarterbacks will be drafted in the 1st round and in what order?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There appears to be five quarterbacks getting 1st round buzz here. You have Trevor Lawrence, Zack Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones. Kyle Trask is being projected as a second round guy, but we could very well see him sneak into the first round. Keep in mind that Daniel Jones was originally projected as a second round guy and he got drafted over Dwayne Haskins jr. in the 2019 NFL draft and a top 10 pick.

My two cents at the moment is:

1. Lawrence (Jaguars)
2. Wilson (Jets or whoever goes into that #2 spot)
3. Lance
4. Fields
5. Jones

I can see Fields being the 5th quarterback off the board, and Jones being the 3rd quarterback off the board.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 4 in rd1. 30% chance of getting 5.

Lawrence at #1.

I think Wilson and Lance are in play at #2. Conventional wisdom probably points to Wilson but GM logic might see fewer red flags with Lance. I kinda see these both going top 4 with the only other prospect in the mix being Sewell as the 'once every five years' type of OT prospect. Deshaun Watson still has a major impact on the draft so its hard to say for certain where the 2nd and 3rd QBs off the board are going.

I think if you have Teddy Bridgewater or Drew Lock at QB then you draft Fields. So top 8. Maybe as high as #2 overall but I'm thinking more likely around pick 8.

Mac Jones draft range is probably pick 21-54. He almost has to go to a team that is already a playoff team loaded with talent. I'm not ruling out the idea that he couldn't be one of the best QBs in this draft in the right system but I dont think he has any upside outside of a good system.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones draft range is probably pick 21-54. He almost has to go to a team that is already a playoff team loaded with talent. I'm not ruling out the idea that he couldn't be one of the best QBs in this draft in the right system but I dont think he has any upside outside of a good system.
I like Jones a lot so I could be a semi-homer here. I think New England takes him at 15

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jones a lot so I could be a semi-homer here. I think New England takes him at 15
curious, i keep asking folks, what exactly they like about jones and lance, but exactly zero folks have a response. It seems they "just like him" ......not saying thats you. I am genuinely curious what people see.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
curious, i keep asking folks, what exactly they like about jones and lance, but exactly zero folks have a response. It seems they "just like him" ......not saying thats you. I am genuinely curious what people see.
Really don’t know much about Lance bc I never saw him play. I hear he is a Wentz type but can’t give my opinion. I do agree, experts are saying big strong arm and athleticism like Allen or Wentz but no clear reasons other than that. I think that is a hell of a risk especially top 10. I think he is the 4th QB taken and wouldn’t be surprised if he was the 5th. I think Mac could go late 1st but not a fan of him honestly.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don’t know much about Lance bc I never saw him play. I hear he is a Wentz type but can’t give my opinion. I do agree, experts are saying big strong arm and athleticism like Allen or Wentz but no clear reasons other than that. I think that is a hell of a risk especially top 10. I think he is the 4th QB taken and wouldn’t be surprised if he was the 5th. I think Mac could go late 1st but not a fan of him honestly.
Lance is more like a Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick type of quarterback. In 2019, he passed for 2786 yards, 28 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. On the ground, he rushed for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns.

He'll turn 21 years old on May 9th. The only similarity between him and Wentz is that both went to North Dakota State.

When you look at Lance, the talent is pretty evident: big arm, has the ability to make difficult throws, and can torture teams with his legs.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean i see the infatuations on the surface......and the intangibles. Lance >jones with intangibles..........jones i see the video game numbers......think thats what it boils down to. But he has a top 3 rb, the best O-line in the country. Jaylen waddle was the heisman candidate, and likely consensus top wr, he goes down and smith wins the heisman...Literally at least 4-5 other minimum 4 star wr's on that roster....pretty darn good tight ends too.......the embarrassment of riches is just crazy

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance is more like a Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick type of quarterback. In 2019, he passed for 2786 yards, 28 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. On the ground, he rushed for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns.

He'll turn 21 years old on May 9th. The only similarity between him and Wentz is that both went to North Dakota State.

When you look at Lance, the talent is pretty evident: big arm, has the ability to make difficult throws, and can torture teams with his legs.

in your last thread, you posted the same things. Basic talking points from a scouting write up. We asked you if you saw him play, you chose not to answer. Others also didn't see the vick or ljax comp.....but no reply... to those points.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn’t look like a 4.3 or even 4.4 guy to me from film. A ton of athleticism strong arm but nowhere near Lamar or Vick. I wouldn’t use those comparisons either

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean i see the infatuations on the surface......and the intangibles. Lance >jones with intangibles..........jones i see the video game numbers......think thats what it boils down to. But he has a top 3 rb, the best O-line in the country. Jaylen waddle was the heisman candidate, and likely consensus top wr, he goes down and smith wins the heisman...Literally at least 4-5 other minimum 4 star wr's on that roster....pretty darn good tight ends too.......the embarrassment of riches is just crazy
Yeah tbh Lance is all about hype...I would think higher ceiling if he does work out but Jones has more of a chance to be at least average or solid. Maybe Lance is another Jordan Love, nothing from that film impresses me a ton though. No way would I risk taking him over Wilson OR Fields

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if Lance went 5th. Ultimately I think there are 3 distinct tiers in play here:

#1: Lawrence
Top 8: Wilson, Fields, Lance
Top 50: Jones

I think the concerns with Fields and Lance are if they hit their upside. I think the concerns with Wilson is the arm surgery, off the field stuff, and maybe a lower ceiling than the other two. I don't think Fields' pedigree will allow him to drop. I don't think Wilson's film will allow him to drop. Lance is more of a goldilocks pick.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah tbh Lance is all about hype...I would think higher ceiling if he does work out but Jones has more of a chance to be at least average or solid. Maybe Lance is another Jordan Love, nothing from that film impresses me a ton though. No way would I risk taking him over Wilson OR Fields

I would be surprised if Lance went 5th. Ultimately I think there are 3 distinct tiers in play here:

#1: Lawrence
Top 8: Wilson, Fields, Lance
Top 50: Jones

I think the concerns with Fields and Lance are if they hit their upside. I think the concerns with Wilson is the arm surgery, off the field stuff, and maybe a lower ceiling than the other two. I don't think Fields' pedigree will allow him to drop. I don't think Wilson's film will allow him to drop. Lance is more of a goldilocks pick.
lance has massive upside, dont get me wrong, and he had a truly sensational year.

the more i look, the more i like wilson as Qb#2.........his arm strength is sufficient, not spectacular, but hes got the head on him........

The one guy i was really looking forward to seeing this year, sat out. Jamie Newman. Think he essentially killed his career.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lance has massive upside, dont get me wrong, and he had a truly sensational year.

the more i look, the more i like wilson as Qb#2.........his arm strength is sufficient, not spectacular, but hes got the head on him........

The one guy i was really looking forward to seeing this year, sat out. Jamie Newman. Think he essentially killed his career.
I have had Wilson at #2 for awhile but I will fully admit that he is kinda the Baker Mayfield of the draft and while it makes sense for him to go at #2 I do think there is a good chance that Lance or Fields ends up being more of a Deshaun Watson, though. That being said, Mayfield did win more games like year than Watson.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had Wilson at #2 for awhile but I will fully admit that he is kinda the Baker Mayfield of the draft and while it makes sense for him to go at #2 I do think there is a good chance that Lance or Fields ends up being more of a Deshaun Watson, though. That being said, Mayfield did win more games like year than Watson.
Its possible yeah. I actually think wilson has some really nice intangibles. That will allow him to be mobile and a playmaker....

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going to knock how great the talent is around Jones then do the same for everyone else. Fields and Lawerence were surrounded by great talent in their college careers and the gap between NDSU and their FCS opponents and BYU and their G5 opponents in not much different then the advantage Jones has at Alabama. Out of the top 5 QBs, I think Lance has the least film where you can see him throw under pressure or throw in tight windows. At least for Jones against UGA he was able to show what he can do in a dirty pocket and throw to guys who wasn't always open

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going to knock how great the talent is around Jones then do the same for everyone else. Fields and Lawerence were surrounded by great talent in their college careers and the gap between NDSU and their FCS opponents and BYU and their G5 opponents in not much different then the advantage Jones has at Alabama. Out of the top 5 QBs, I think Lance has the least film where you can see him throw under pressure or throw in tight windows. At least for Jones against UGA he was able to show what he can do in a dirty pocket and throw to guys who wasn't always open
Well yes. I agree to an extent. I will say that i think bamas talent is superior to osu and clemsons. Also superior coaching, offensively. Im speaking for this year.

But i certainly can see your argument. Its a good point to make.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For Jones he doesn't have a crazy arm and not very mobile but he don't have a lot of red flags about his game going into the draft.
Things to like is
  • He's consistent and accurate making throws in all levels of the field
  • Can progress through he reads fairly quickly but at Bama there is a lot of plays where WRs were scheme open
  • Has shown to make great throws while getting hit
  • Not mobile but knows how to move around the pocket to give himself some more time
  • Smart. 4.0 with a masters and on the field there's isn't many plays where he makes a head scratching decision
I get it that most of year it was pretty easy for him to put up stats but at least against UGA he was able to show what he can do when his WRs are not wide open and he doesn't always have a clean pocket. Right now I would take Jones around #10-20 and over Trey Lance, Jones don't have a crazy ceiling but I believe he has a high floor and that's not a bad thing when more times than not, 1st round QBs don't work out.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Jones he doesn't have a crazy arm and not very mobile but he don't have a lot of red flags about his game going into the draft.
Things to like is
  • He's consistent and accurate making throws in all levels of the field
  • Can progress through he reads fairly quickly but at Bama there is a lot of plays where WRs were scheme open
  • Has shown to make great throws while getting hit
  • Not mobile but knows how to move around the pocket to give himself some more time
  • Smart. 4.0 with a masters and on the field there's isn't many plays where he makes a head scratching decision
I get it that most of year it was pretty easy for him to put up stats but at least against UGA he was able to show what he can do when his WRs are not wide open and he doesn't always have a clean pocket. Right now I would take Jones around #10-20 and over Trey Lance, Jones don't have a crazy ceiling but I believe he has a high floor and that's not a bad thing when more times than not, 1st round QBs don't work out.
I agree. Mostly. But i wanna see more than one game against the yearly disappointing georgia.

mediocrity or adequate is not my shot when going for a qb in the top 2 rounds. I agree with the points, just didnt see enough. Unfortunately pre draft is gonna stink this year.