• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Do You Feel About the Current State of CFB

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What people don’t seem to get about the likeness conversation is it’s going to cause an absolute shit show situation regarding title IX and if you think for one second title IX won’t have their noses in it, you’re sorely mistaken.

I’m interested to hear your reason why?

We can point out the obvious that more males will probably benefit from this than females. But an easy way to circumvent that is claim market value.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See profile pic

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m interested to hear your reason why?

We can point out the obvious that more males will probably benefit from this than females. But an easy way to circumvent that is claim market value.
PTI: Since the money will be paid by outside sources, there will be no Title IX issues with the schools. At least, that is how I see it? What about you?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious on how everyone is feeling about the current state of CFB with all that's going down.

• We have California trying to push a national agenda to allow players to get paid for their own likeness.
  • The NFL is currently declining due to horrible new rules and refs being flag happy.
  • NCAA rules are becoming more unclear and causing lots of irrelevant flags.
  • University Of Texas crying about Horns Down symbol.
  • A lot of games feeling a lot more lopsided than usual
  • Anything else you think would apply here
**EDIT for formatting

Letting josh fields play day 1 after transferring solely because he wasn’t starting, while Luke ford sits with a deathly ill family member...

Ncaa plays favorites. And it’s embarrassingly bad

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PTI: Since the money will be paid by outside sources, there will be no Title IX issues with the schools. At least, that is how I see it? What about you?

My feeling on that too. However I’m sure someone on the title 9 defense will comment how it’s unfair how the men are getting paid more for their likeness than the women. Or more men to women or something of that. It’ll just be a publicity stunt but then people can claim market value for wanting to pay a few players on the football team instead of a few players on the women’s rowing team.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Football now, is like how Football has been forever.

Great Coaches make great teams. Not the other way around.
Not enough great coaches to go around.

The fewer there are, the more it looks like only a few teams are really good.
When there's more of them, a lot more teams look good, and it seems like we have more parity.

And some schools take their TV money and use it to fund other stuff. That's up to them, but at some point, the Conference must put pressure on some schools to step up if they are going to take that money.

Been this way since 1869.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Football now, is like how Football has been forever.

Great Coaches make great teams. Not the other way around.
Not enough great coaches to go around.

The fewer there are, the more it looks like only a few teams are really good.
When there's more of them, a lot more teams look good, and it seems like we have more parity.

And some schools take their TV money and use it to fund other stuff. That's up to them, but at some point, the Conference must put pressure on some schools to step up if they are going to take that money.

Been this way since 1869.
Somebody has to win, and somebody has to lose. Just the way it is. Everybody in the Big Xii pulls their weight one way or the other: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc. What OU and Texas miss out by not having another Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. in the conference, they make up for with good regular wins and easy scheduling (not having to find teams in every sport like an Indie would need to do). :)

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title ix has nothing to do with the California law. Everyone can profit from the use if their likeness. They can't force businesses to use a womans likeness for every man's. It's dumb to even bring that up. The school's themselves are not paying players. At least not yet.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quiet frankly I’m so tired of hearing about all this. I miss the BCS controversies, and drama on the field.

I go to twitter for sports news and have for years. I’m almost about done with it since every day these sports media members seem to think they know all and push their agenda. It’s all that’s talked about. It’s tiresome.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title ix has nothing to do with the California law. Everyone can profit from the use if their likeness. They can't force businesses to use a womans likeness for every man's. It's dumb to even bring that up. The school's themselves are not paying players. At least not yet.

paging @wazzu31

:lol::lol::lol:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are completely wrong but it’s all good. We had the exact same bill in the State Senate two years ago that UW and WSU killed because it leaves both schools open to massive lawsuits that they will lose. The only feasible way it doesn’t go against Title IX is if the kids who can make money from their likeness and yadda yadda do not receive scholarships from the University. Walk on’s do not come in conflict with any of the Title IX statutes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fan of people being worried their Saturday TV viewing is gonna be fucked.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are completely wrong but it’s all good. We had the exact same bill in the State Senate two years ago that UW and WSU killed because it leaves both schools open to massive lawsuits that they will lose. The only feasible way it doesn’t go against Title IX is if the kids who can make money from their likeness and yadda yadda do not receive scholarships from the University. Walk on’s do not come in conflict with any of the Title IX statutes.
Link to any article that draws out how a bill that gives kids the rights to profit from their likeness impacts title ix.

All this bill does is remove the schools ability to prevent kids from taking that money. If they aren't the ones giving that money, they have no accountability for distributing it.

The reason this is a stupid bill is that there now is nothing to stop wealthy boosters from paying players and abusing what using their likeness means. The richer schools are now going to have a massive recruiting advantage over the smaller schools. Right now that advantage is only cali, but you can bet it will spread. There no longer will be a way to stop the backchannel money.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new law doesn’t actually require schools to pay athletes directly, as if they were employees. Instead, it makes it illegal for schools to prevent an athlete from earning money by selling the rights to his or her name, image, or likeness to outside bidders.

The law also allows college athletes to hire an agent to represent them. There are a few restrictions, such as one that prevents athletes from signing endorsement deals that conflict with their team’s sponsors. For example, a football player could not wear Under Armour gear during team events if the student’s school is sponsored by Adidas.
Neither of those has any impact of any kind on title ix.

The ball is now in your court. Link or admit you were wrong. Either way.