• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you suppose the Journal Star wants Bo to read this?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Frost building impressive coaching credentials

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:00 pm

Of course this is how it turned out.

Go back to when Scott Frost was just a little squirt -- half the size of a sideline yard marker with grass stains on his knees.

"He was going to basketball and football games and track meets before he hardly knew what was going on," says his father, Larry Frost.

He would figure it all out pretty quickly.

Some kids were born to play Carnegie Hall. Some kids were born to be engineers. Scott was born to coach.

Dad and mom lived life with a whistle.

Shoot, Dad was Scott's high school coach when the quarterback was running over foes at Wood River. The team's receivers coach? That'd be Carol Frost, also known as Mom.

"He always says that except for his high school coaches, he had great coaches," Larry jokes. "I don't know what that's supposed to mean."

Dad takes no offense.

Scott Frost just turned 36 this week, but already the former Husker quarterback has played for or coached alongside some of the biggest names in the coaching profession.

Bill Walsh. Tom Osborne. Bill Parcells. Monte Kiffin. Bill Belichick. Mike Tomlin. Raheem Morris.

Now Frost is collecting wisdom from offensive guru Chip Kelly. Hired as wide receivers coach at Oregon a year ago, Frost is assisting one of the most explosive, admired and copied offenses in the country.

Thirteen years after Frost made an impassioned Orange Bowl postgame speech for the Huskers to be No. 1, he has a chance Monday night to make it to the top as a coach when the Ducks take on Auburn for the national championship in Glendale, Ariz.

Whatever the outcome, Frost is clearly an up-and-comer in the profession.

From his days as a Stanford quarterback (where, ironically, his first pass was intercepted by an Oregon player) to his time as a Husker, to six years of playing in the NFL, Frost has been surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the game.

"He goes to Tampa Bay, and the big thing in the NFL is the Tampa-2, so he learned that from Monte Kiffin, the guy that invented it, basically," Larry says. "When he was at Stanford, he was quarterbacking the West Coast offense (under Bill Walsh). And now he's out at Oregon, where this offense Chip Kelly runs is kind of revolutionary and people are emulating that.

"And, of course, Tom Osborne. The option football things that he ran were the best there were in the country when they were running it. So he's not only had good coaches. He's had coaches who have been instrumental in implementing things that people want to copy."

Scott Frost has said that Osborne remains one of his biggest influences professionally and personally. He told the Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard that Osborne "is plain and simple one of the best men I've ever met."

Naturally, fans and media will speculate about Frost perhaps one day returning to Nebraska in some coaching role, but the former Husker has plenty to enjoy right now with his current position at Oregon.

Frost paid his dues to get there.

While finishing off an NFL career that included time with the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Frost first dipped his toes into the coaching waters in 2002 as a grad assistant at Nebraska.

When his playing days were over for good, Frost took the same position at Kansas State in 2006.

He then began a quick ascent up the coaching ladder.

Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley met Frost at a coaching convention and was struck by Frost's confident demeanor.

"What drew me to him was his winning experience," Farley said. "I think that's something people sense probably more than we talk about, but people sense that championship-type attitude. And that's what players are looking for. They're looking for leaders."

A quarterback in college, a defensive back in the pros, Frost became Farley's linebackers coach at UNI.

By his second year at Northern Iowa, Frost was the Panthers' co-defensive coordinator.

It was a sound move. With Frost helping lead the defense, Northern Iowa ended up third in the Football Championship Subdivision in takeaways (40) in 2008 and ninth in the country in scoring defense.

Then Oregon, which was led by Mike Bellotti, came calling. Osborne gave a recommendation. The Ducks gave Frost a new job, this time coaching on the offensive side of the ball.

"Scott was one of the most impressive young men I have ever had the opportunity to interview," Bellotti said in announcing Frost's hiring. "I felt his passion and knowledge for the game was extremely enlightening and believe that will carry over into his ability as a coach and a recruiter."

Bellotti resigned a couple of months after Frost was hired, and Kelly took over. The Ducks flew high despite the change, earning a Rose Bowl berth last year thanks largely to their spread offense that Frost helps coach.

"It is rare when you really look at his background," Farley said of Frost. "Great offensive player in college, great defensive player in the NFL, and now he's already coached both in college. And you've got to throw in special teams, because that's been one of his things, too. He's in all three phases of the game. And he's not just been a part of it. He's been an in-depth part of it."

Born to coach. Of course this is how it turned out.

It's in the bloodlines, after all. Dad was a Husker halfback in the '60s. Mom was a dynamite track and field athlete for Nebraska. She won a gold medal at the Pan Am Games in 1967 and participated in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City.

Then came the coaching. Larry and Carol made many stops. There were seasons spent at Gothenburg, Crete, Lincoln High, McCook, Wood River, Walthill and Parkview Christian. Those were just the ones in Nebraska. And, oh, yeah, Carol coached the Husker women's track and cross country teams from 1977 to 1980.

Given all that, Scott and older brother Steve couldn't help but take an interest in the coaching discussions that occurred around the house.

It was a family that lived for competition.

"We could see that competitiveness in Scott right away," Larry says. "We could barely play board games because it'd usually end up in a big fight or argument. So the competitiveness has been there since I can remember."

The competitive fire will certainly rage Monday night. Bigger stage and a lot brighter lights than those days back in Wood River. But the objective remains the same as it was back on that patch of grass.

And Dad and Mom will be there just like they were on all the Friday nights and Saturdays that came before.

"We thought that when he got done playing, a lot of the pressure was over and the worries of the parent would kind of fade away," Larry says. "But as we watch his football games, especially down the stretch here, trying to go undefeated, I think I was nervous and I think Carol was about as nervous watching him as when he played. I guess you never really lose the desire to watch your kids succeed."

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not likely to see Frost @ NU under the current situation...