• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Do You Feel About the Current State of CFB

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do get a monthly stipend on top of free food, free clothes, free books, free rent, free health care, free tutors, free rail, etc, so can we stop pretending that these kids are eating dirt and drinking swamp water just to survive these conditions. 95% of schools are running in the red, so they can not afford to pay $250k a player like some people are wanting to pay. What’s better for society, 100’s of people from every single school getting their scholarships dropped and can no longer afford to get an education so that two sports teams players can make a million dollars or players continue to get $50-100k in benefits tax free and a lot of people get to go through college debt free?

The schools won't be paying the players. If they did then Title IX would come in to play.

This is the players sole ability to make money in the private sector, while still going to school.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not while they're in school and able to perform, no.

But if their playing days get ended due to injury, are they still going to get all those benefits? Guys who can't keep playing probably don't get to keep that full ride, so now they're on the hook for the rest of their education.

And then what about the degree? If you don't go pro - which 99% of college athletes don't - then the degree is supposed to at least give you an advantage in terms of finding work. We already know that not all football players graduate, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%. Another chunk of them finish with degrees that don't translate into high paying careers.

It may not be a majority, but the schools ARE taking advantage of the players, to some extent, and not all of the players are actually getting a tangible, long-term benefit from playing college ball.

I'm not saying give them hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Actually from what I have seen, most players that get injured continue the free ride for their four years. Medical hardship scholarship.

Since 99% of the players aren’t going pro, they can get a free degree that can help them get their foot in the door at many jobs which require a bachelors just for an interview. These athletes are not the only ones who are going to college, getting a degree in areas that are not high paying careers so that is a non factor in all of this. The universities should be cutting these philosophy and women’s studies degrees anyways because they are just cash grabs and provide next to nothing for the student or society.

They are not getting tangible, long term benefit from football but they are given a lottery ticket to the NFL and being free from $100-250k in debt which they will spend the next 20-30 years of their life from being forced to pay back. There has to be value in that. Many of these players are being taken out of less than desirable situations where they would end up dead or in jail if these schools would not offer them an opportunity to benefit themselves. Not all, not most, not even half, but there are many.

Everyone should be allowed to go pro straight out of high school but it’s not the colleges forcing it, it’s the pros, and more specifically the player’s associations that are pushing the rules that force an intermediary to keep them from making the jump. Many of the basketball players could go to Europe and make money straight from high school but choose to go to college.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schools won't be paying the players. If they did then Title IX would come in to play.

This is the players sole ability to make money in the private sector, while still going to school.
I know this. He is saying that the players should be getting a piece of the TV money, which would be coming from the schools, not the private sector.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you elaborate on this, im curious as to what you are meaning.
You haven’t notice the top of stadiums in the upper deck starting to be empty? I mean the blue bloods are still selling out for the most part. People don’t wanna give up a whole day of football at home on the couch for 1 game

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These athletes are not the only ones who are going to college, getting a degree in areas that are not high paying careers so that is a non factor in all of this

Ahh, but they ARE the ones bringing in all that tv cash

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think schools lose money on scholarships?
The classrooms and professors are already there. In a round about way, donors are picking up the tabs for most programs.

Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that they are for capitalism, yet at the same time try to limit what some football star can make off his likeness in the private sector. The schools won't be paying the kid for his likeness. McDonald's will be.
McDonald’s burger flippers should be getting paid $200 an hour because they are the ones that are making the company money and without them there would be no food.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, but they ARE the ones bringing in all that tv cash
And McDonald’s burger flippers should be getting $200 an hour because they ARE the ones bringing in all that hamburger cash.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven’t notice the top of stadiums in the upper deck starting to be empty? I mean the blue bloods are still selling out for the most part. People don’t wanna give up a whole day of football at home on the couch for 1 game

I would, if they'd let me come dressed like I do when I'm watching at home

giphy.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And McDonald’s burger flippers should be getting $200 an hour because they ARE the ones bringing in all that hamburger cash.

It's the college football thread.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the college football thread.
It is completely relevant. Are you going to stop watching Bailor or South Carolina football because one of its top players left to go sell T-shirt’s of himself or would you continue to watch your team because they are your team?

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, i guess i did notice this starting to be a common trend.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this. He is saying that the players should be getting a piece of the TV money, which would be coming from the schools, not the private sector.

Well 'he' is misunderstanding what California just passed.

Besides that'll never work anyway because of Title IX. The women's rowing team is not the reason for the big TV contracts.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well 'he' is misunderstanding what California just passed.

Besides that'll never work anyway because of Title IX. The women's rowing team is not the reason for the big TV contracts.
And if it did work that way, women’s rowing would be one of the many, many scholarships axed in order to pay the players

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is completely relevant. Are you going to stop watching Bailor or South Carolina football because one of its top players left to go sell T-shirt’s of himself or would you continue to watch your team because they are your team?

Watch my team while buying shirts?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious on how everyone is feeling about the current state of CFB with all that's going down.

Not as good as it used to be, but still better than the NFL.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald’s burger flippers should be getting paid $200 an hour because they are the ones that are making the company money and without them there would be no food.

Well McDonald's burger flippers should get paid what McDonald's decides to pay them and still make a profit. Here in Nebraska that is $11 an hour to start.

A college football/basketball star should also get paid what McDonald's decides to pay them for pimping their Chicken McNuggets on radio, tv, in magazines, etc..

I would make a rule that anything that has to do with the university be left out of any advertising. i.e. Said player cannot wear his jersey in the commercial, etc.

Just a simple "Hi, I'm Joe Blow and I love me some Chicken McNuggets"

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if it did work that way, women’s rowing would be one of the many, many scholarships axed in order to pay the players

As well as the men's archery team. They would have to cut sports equally.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather watch my grass grow outside than watch the NFL these days. I wish that wasn't sarcasm. Yeah college football has its drawbacks, but it's still millions x better.
I guess....if you don't like seeing the better athletes and a system that makes teams earn their playoff seed on a set of rules everyone knows as opposed to opinions of a dozen or so people.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not while they're in school and able to perform, no.

But if their playing days get ended due to injury, are they still going to get all those benefits? Guys who can't keep playing probably don't get to keep that full ride, so now they're on the hook for the rest of their education.

And then what about the degree? If you don't go pro - which 99% of college athletes don't - then the degree is supposed to at least give you an advantage in terms of finding work. We already know that not all football players graduate, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%. Another chunk of them finish with degrees that don't translate into high paying careers.

It may not be a majority, but the schools ARE taking advantage of the players, to some extent, and not all of the players are actually getting a tangible, long-term benefit from playing college ball.

I'm not saying give them hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I get everything you are saying but they can choose not to play and either skip college or go and pay for it themselves.

That said, I'm not at all opposed to the CA Bill. Just want the rules to be uniform and think they need to have restrictions of some sort.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as good as it used to be, but still better than the NFL.
If that's your opinion OK. But you also prefer lesser athletes and a system where the best we can do is guess what a team must do to make the playoffs?