• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider - Ranking CFB coaching jobs

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet in 2008, he did turn down Michigan, and instead they went with Rich Rod.
No, that was in 2008. Miles never turned us down, Miles was never offered the position. The reason Herbstreit reported that Miles had taken the job way back when was because Miles had openly said that he wanted it and, "I would never turn down Michigan". What Herbstreit assumed is that -- of course Michigan offered him, so it was basically a done deal. Unfortunately, that was not the case and Miles was never offered. Instead what happened was this whole fiasco with Bill Martin being on a boat, out of contact, and then he went and got RR out of left field because Michigan needed a change in philosophy; hiring Miles would have been the same old thing.

In all 3 of the past coaching searches, Miles has never been offered the job.

And while we know RR failed, it's not like RR was a no-name like Hoke.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that was in 2008. Miles never turned us down, Miles was never offered the position. The reason Herbstreit reported that Miles had taken the job way back when was because Miles had openly said that he wanted it and, "I would never turn down Michigan". What Herbstreit assumed is that -- of course Michigan offered him, so it was basically a done deal. Unfortunately, that was not the case and Miles was never offered. Instead what happened was this whole fiasco with Bill Martin being on a boat, out of contact, and then he went and got RR out of left field because Michigan needed a change in philosophy; hiring Miles would have been the same old thing.

In all 3 of the past coaching searches, Miles has never been offered the job.

And while we know RR failed, it's not like RR was a no-name like Hoke.
So it is your contention that Michigan didn't even call Les Miles after the Rich Rod debacle and decided to go with a no name, done nothing head coach rather than a national title winning, one of the biggest names in college football because the AD, who was a CEO of a billion dollar company, wanted to surround himself with yes men?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is your contention that Michigan didn't even call Les Miles after the Rich Rod debacle and decided to go with a no name, done nothing head coach rather than a national title winning, one of the biggest names in college football because the AD, who was a CEO of a billion dollar company, wanted to surround himself with yes men?

That's exactly what happened, and as I keep saying, the process is documented in all of Bacon's books. Dave Brandon wanted someone he could control and he wanted to be highly involved in Football. That's why he was on the field during games and why he sat in film rooms with players and broke down film. It was inappropriate, he was a narcissist and it failed miserably. But he wouldn't have been able to do that if a guy like Miles or Harbaugh was the head coach. To your point, no -- it's entirely illogical, which is why it failed and why it pissed so many fans off. Hoke was Brandon's top choice from the start.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what happened, and as I keep saying, the process is documented in all of Bacon's books. Dave Brandon wanted someone he could control and he wanted to be highly involved in Football. That's why he was on the field during games and why he sat in film rooms with players and broke down film. It was inappropriate, he was a narcissist and it failed miserably. But he wouldn't have been able to do that if a guy like Miles or Harbaugh was the head coach. To your point, no -- it's entirely illogical, which is why it failed and why it pissed so many fans off. Hoke was Brandon's top choice from the start.
So you are telling me that a Michigan slappy, who makes his living writing books for Michigan slappies, wrote a book that was written completely with a Pro Michigan slant on it? Color me surprised that a guy who do something that would make him the most money.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are telling me that a Michigan slappy, who makes his living writing books for Michigan slappies, wrote a book that was written completely with a Pro Michigan slant on it? Color me surprised that a guy who do something that would make him the most money.
I guess you can take it that way. This is kind of like arguing religion. There's no way I can prove someone else's documentation correct. I can't prove if Bacon made up quotes or not. But I suspect there's be more than an issue with quoting someone as saying one thing if they 1. didn't say it or 2. it was a flat out lie. That's not typically how you keep your job as a journalist and UM professor. His tale of events does line up with the absurdity of everything that happened. I just can't imagine a situation where Michigan went through it's entire list of coaches in less than a week, no one wanted to come and Hoke was hired less than a week after firing Rich Rod. That quick of a hire was purposeful and targeted. Hoke was who Brandon wanted.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you can take it that way. This is kind of like arguing religion. There's no way I can prove someone else's documentation correct. I can't prove if Bacon made up quotes or not. But I suspect there's be more than an issue with quoting someone as saying one thing if they 1. didn't say it or 2. it was a flat out lie. That's not typically how you keep your job as a journalist and UM professor. His tale of events does line up with the absurdity of everything that happened. I just can't imagine a situation where Michigan went through it's entire list of coaches in less than a week, no one wanted to come and Hoke was hired less than a week after firing Rich Rod. That quick of a hire was purposeful and targeted. Hoke was who Brandon wanted.
It's not just what was said but if you ask only people that will say pro-Michigan things you are only going to get half the story. Take a look at the "investigation" that the Seahawks did into Clark before drafting him

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just what was said but if you ask only people that will say pro-Michigan things you are only going to get half the story. Take a look at the "investigation" that the Seahawks did into Clark before drafting him
Even if there was some shining of the turd, it was still a turd being described. You hire your primary choice in 6 days after firing the last guy, not the last resort.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I instruct you all to get ready for a full dose of.....

z.jpe

I'll just be looking at the best recipes for....

z.jpg

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Ohio State

It's the Big Ten's flagship program in terms of resources and support, though times are changing. It's becoming more competitive largely due to Urban Meyer changing the league's coaching DNA, most notably in recruiting.

I assume the original author is referencing the rest of the conference outside of Ohio State with "It's becoming more competitive" considering Ohio State has been the most consistently elite team dating back to the beginning of the BCS era.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jan. 1, 1996 Citrus Bowl Tennessee 20, THE Ohio State 14 :shrug: