• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Do You Feel About the Current State of CFB

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious on how everyone is feeling about the current state of CFB with all that's going down.

• We have California trying to push a national agenda to allow players to get paid for their own likeness.
  • The NFL is currently declining due to horrible new rules and refs being flag happy.
  • NCAA rules are becoming more unclear and causing lots of irrelevant flags.
  • University Of Texas crying about Horns Down symbol.
  • A lot of games feeling a lot more lopsided than usual
  • Anything else you think would apply here
**EDIT for formatting

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with some type of remuneration for players for the use of their image. If they're totally amateurs, then NO ONE should be allowed to profit off their likeness. Since the schools, NCAA, and Television makes money off them, then they should, too.

Texas = ghey if they can't take some symbolic smack talk.

No further comments.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with some type of remuneration for players for the use of their image. If they're totally amateurs, then NO ONE should be allowed to profit off their likeness. Since the schools, NCAA, and Television makes money off them, then they should, too.

No further comments.
If the school’s weren’t able to profit off of them, why the hell would they choose to lose 10’s of millions of dollars on all of the scholarships? We would see all of college sports be Thanos snapped and everything would be club sports.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No further comments.
Not to sound heathenistic, hurr, but free schollies.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is currently declining due to horrible new rules and refs being flag happy.

Have you seen that new offensive pass interference shit they're doing!? Just yikes.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He coached Texas high schools for 20 years before becoming an assistant at Tech??? :noidea:

No further comments.

If the school’s weren’t able to profit off of them, why the hell would they choose to lose 10’s of millions of dollars on all of the scholarships? We would see all of college sports be Thanos snapped and everything would be club sports.

I'm kinda two sided on this issue. As i do agree it may possibly open doors for more problems down the line however it seems unfair that a normal student can go make millions off of a t-shirt they create while in school but an athlete cannot create his own t-shirt with his name on it and make money from that. Seems a little hypocritical to me and unfair regardless if the athlete gets a full scholarship. If he creates it then there should be no issue with it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the school’s weren’t able to profit off of them, why the hell would they choose to lose 10’s of millions of dollars on all of the scholarships?

I get that the schollies are a type of payment, and I'm not saying the schools should give back ALL the money they're getting. But if you're going to use their likeness or image for promotional purposes or to sell a video game, then cut em a small check at least. There's an insane amount of money changing hands here.

Plus, not all schollies are created equal. I don't know how many D1 athletes are getting a full ride. Factor in graduation rates for athletes in the revenue sports; not all of them actually get that degree, so they were basically used by the schools as long as they were eligible/medically able to play. Without the degree they haven't really garnered any long-term benefit.

Sure, you could say it's on them to complete the degree. Did they have the money for college in the first place? Probably not, which is why they were thankful for that sports scholarship. I can see all sides of this, and over the years I've come down on the side of "be consistent." Either everybody gets some of that TV money, or no one does.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda two sided on this issue. As i do agree it may possibly open doors for more problems down the line however it seems unfair that a normal student can go make millions off of a t-shirt they create while in school but an athlete cannot create his own t-shirt with his name on it and make money from that. Seems a little hypocritical to me and unfair regardless if the athlete gets a full scholarship. If he creates it then there should be no issue with it.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. For a long time I was a "but they get free college!!" hard-liner. But I think that's a bit too simplistic (and convenient) an excuse for the NCAA and the schools.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that the schollies are a type of payment, and I'm not saying the schools should give back ALL the money they're getting. But if you're going to use their likeness or image for promotional purposes or to sell a video game, then cut em a small check at least. There's an insane amount of money changing hands here.

Plus, not all schollies are created equal. I don't know how many D1 athletes are getting a full ride. Factor in graduation rates for athletes in the revenue sports; not all of them actually get that degree, so they were basically used by the schools as long as they were eligible/medically able to play. Without the degree they haven't really garnered any long-term benefit.

Sure, you could say it's on them to complete the degree. Did they have the money for college in the first place? Probably not, which is why they were thankful for that sports scholarship. I can see all sides of this, and over the years I've come down on the side of "be consistent." Either everybody gets some of that TV money, or no one does.
They do get a monthly stipend on top of free food, free clothes, free books, free rent, free health care, free tutors, free rail, etc, so can we stop pretending that these kids are eating dirt and drinking swamp water just to survive these conditions. 95% of schools are running in the red, so they can not afford to pay $250k a player like some people are wanting to pay. What’s better for society, 100’s of people from every single school getting their scholarships dropped and can no longer afford to get an education so that two sports teams players can make a million dollars or players continue to get $50-100k in benefits tax free and a lot of people get to go through college debt free?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not on right now so I'm pretty sore at the moment.

Just give me some space.
tenor.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so can we stop pretending that these kids are eating dirt and drinking swamp water just to survive these conditions.

I don't believe anybody said that ITT

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get some of this and I see some of the argument being made to give them a slice of the pie. I look at it, also, from the school & NCAA's point, too, and the slippery slope we head down. I look at this way … yeah, the school makes a lot of money - money that gets put right back into the school for updated & modernized sporting facilities that the athletes get to enjoy. Hell, I can't believe all the dayum new stuff Notre Dame has built for that campus, even a butt ton of brand new apartment-like dorms, over the past few years. It's insane the amount of construction in what they've done for that university. All the students benefit from it.

I just think college athletics (especially football & basketball) has just become a farm system and a means to a student athlete to get on the radars for their pro careers. Without it, I'd be hard pressed to see how they would ever get noticed/recognized for their young abilities, so that's a benefit for them, also.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are pretending that they are starving and being taken advantage of when they aren’t.

Not while they're in school and able to perform, no.

But if their playing days get ended due to injury, are they still going to get all those benefits? Guys who can't keep playing probably don't get to keep that full ride, so now they're on the hook for the rest of their education.

And then what about the degree? If you don't go pro - which 99% of college athletes don't - then the degree is supposed to at least give you an advantage in terms of finding work. We already know that not all football players graduate, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%. Another chunk of them finish with degrees that don't translate into high paying careers.

It may not be a majority, but the schools ARE taking advantage of the players, to some extent, and not all of the players are actually getting a tangible, long-term benefit from playing college ball.

I'm not saying give them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are pretending that they are starving and being taken advantage of when they aren’t.

Some very well could be feeling that way as most dont even attempt at having any type of job due to commitment to better themselves as a player. However, i dont think thats a relevant argument if we are talking about athlete's getting paid for their own image.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t forget Attendance is starting to decline everywhere because the at home experience is too good.

Can you elaborate on this, im curious as to what you are meaning.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really think schools lose money on scholarships?
The classrooms and professors are already there. In a round about way, donors are picking up the tabs for most programs.

Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that they are for capitalism, yet at the same time try to limit what some football star can make off his likeness in the private sector. The schools won't be paying the kid for his likeness. McDonald's will be.