• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Houston "you have a problem", the Texas Rangers 9/14-17

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woah. Hamilton in LF.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO bad call. Hope I'm wrong

You've Ben skeptical of Hamilton since the beginning, and understandably so, but you can't deny he's made some pretty significant contributions since coming here.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've Ben skeptical of Hamilton since the beginning, and understandably so, but you can't deny he's made some pretty significant contributions since coming here.
I believe I heard that if you take his game winning hits per games played in and extrapolate that out over a full season that he would be leading the league by a very wide margin.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet he still has a game winner or two left in his bat.

I'd suspect you're right. The guy may surprise the shit out of all of us. Plus, talk about lengthening the lineup.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet he still has a game winner or two left in his bat.

No doubt even w a bad wheel, his defense is an upgrade. Just hope his timing is on. Im with DT, on his long time with no PT, might make him a bit of a reach at the plate. Guess I shouldn't assume that was DT's concern. Oh well, I hope he HR's in his first plate appearance

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt even w a bad wheel, his defense is an upgrade. Just hope his timing is on. Im with DT, on his long time with no PT, might make him a bit of a reach at the plate. Guess I shouldn't assume that was DT's concern. Oh well, I hope he HR's in his first plate appearance

I know he surprised the shit out of me in a pinch hit he had where he hadn't seen live pitching in like two weeks. Stepped up and had the best at bat he'd had all year and singled to right field.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he surprised the shit out of me in a pinch hit he had where he hadn't seen live pitching in like two weeks. Stepped up and had the best at bat he'd had all year and singled to right field.

While he can look like chopped liver at the plate at times, he also has a flair for the dramatic. Guy has come up big in spots before. When he's engaged he is definitely a nice piece to have. In the 8th spot, not sure how much difference it will be not having one of the other options. Any production in that spot is generally a plus

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he can look like chopped liver at the plate at times, he also has a flair for the dramatic. Guy has come up big in spots before. When he's engaged he is definitely a nice piece to have. In the 8th spot, not sure how much difference it will be not having one of the other options. Any production in that spot is generally a plus

I like it because it's like, "okay they've got the bottom of the order coming up. Oh shit, there's Josh Hamilton." His presence by itself makes a difference.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder when was the last time Josh Hamilton saw his name penciled in batting 8th in a lineup. Little League?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEXAS AT HOUSTON

Time: 01:05 P.M. EST Venue: Minute Maid Park

The red-hot Texas Rangers have strengthened their grip on the AL West lead by maintaining their dominance in the season series with their in-state rivals.

Now they might not have to face the Houston Astros' top hitter in the second game of this series.

With star second baseman Jose Altuve's status uncertain, the struggling Astros will try to avoid their ninth straight loss to the Rangers on Saturday at Minute Maid Park.

After sweeping last week's four-game series in Arlington to take over first place, Texas (84-69) has now extended its lead to 4 1/2 games following Friday's series-opening 6-2 victory.

The Rangers have won 13 of 17 meetings in the series, including five of seven at Houston. They've also outscored the Astros 59-30 throughout their head-to-head winning streak.

Shin-soo Choo went 3 for 5 with his 19th home run Friday as Texas lowered its magic number to clinch its first West title in four years to five.

''There's no exhale,'' manager Jeff Banister said. ''We're not going to look up until it's done. This is a mission. We're looking for an accomplishment to get to where we want to go.''

Houston (80-74) might not have Altuve as it tries to even this three-game series. He exited in the seventh inning after being hurt in a collision with Carlos Correa while chasing a popup.

''I felt a little dizzy at first, but now I feel good,'' said Altuve, hitting a team-high .314.

The Astros hope to avoid a season high-tying fourth straight home defeat after having their lead on the AL's second wild-card spot cut to a half-game over the Los Angeles Angels.

They're giving the ball to Collin McHugh (17-7, 3.93 ERA), who has a chance to move into a tie with teammate Dallas Keuchel and Seattle's Felix Hernandez for the league lead in wins. Hernandez is scheduled to pitch Saturday night against the Angels.

McHugh allowed five runs over 3 2-3 innings but escaped without a decision in a 6-5 loss at Texas on Sept. 15, before giving up one run over eight in Sunday's 5-1 home win over Oakland.

The right-hander has an MLB-best 16 victories in his last 21 home outings dating to last season. He's been outstanding there lately, going 7-1 with a 1.87 ERA in his last nine starts.

McHugh had a 1.89 ERA while winning his first three starts against the Rangers before last week's meeting. Prince Fielder is 6 for 8 and Adrian Beltre has gone 5 for 9 off him this season.

After going 3-0 with a 2.15 ERA in his first four starts following a four-month absence due to a right shoulder strain, Derek Holland (3-3, 4.75) is 0-2 with a 9.00 mark in his last three.

Holland did not get a decision when he opposed McHugh last week, allowing five runs and a season-high 10 hits over 5 2-3 innings. He's 3-2 with a 4.10 ERA in nine starts versus Houston.

"I feel confident that Derek will come out for his next start ready to go," Banister told MLB's official website.

Luis Valbuena accounted for all Houston's scoring Friday with his 23rd home run. The Astros went 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position in their eighth loss in 11 games.

"We have to find a way to do better,'' manager A.J. Hinch said.

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder when was the last time Josh Hamilton saw his name penciled in batting 8th in a lineup. Little League?

Think he was in that spot earlier this year for a game maybe, but it probably wasn't even in LL before this season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Rangers are seriously considering having him on the playoff roster, they've got to get him some at bats over the next few games IMO.

And what was just said by Murph, Hamilton on one leg is an upgrade over Nap in LF, is pretty much true. ha ha

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV schedule says away programming is on FSSW and Home coverage on ROOT? Im still looking for the pre game on TV right now. Anybody know where its at?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers are seriously considering having him on the playoff roster, they've got to get him some at bats over the next few games IMO.

And what was just said by Murph, Hamilton on one leg is an upgrade over Nap in LF, is pretty much true. ha ha

good point on some AB's before the playoff roster, gotta find out if he will be available or useful

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets get it on, would like to see them turn McHugh into a "filet o' fish" early!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't appear Altuve is suffering from yesterday's collision.