• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I red boxed Antlers and Last Night at Soho last night. So far only watched Antlers and I was not impressed. The movie glanced over the lore of the creature and focused more on the kid and the teacher than anything else, the lore gets literally about 2 minutes. There is a bit of troubling backstory introduced that is never fleshed out or discussed, it is presented and never addressed again which makes it seem completely needless and out of place. The only reason it is there is to have a character motivation/relatability to the kid, as if a simply caring teacher wouldn't be enough. This is a mess of a movie that doesn't seem to care about story. The creature is neat, but without more lore, it just feels random. There are some nice shots and I like the cinematography, but that is kind of where this stops. Happy I didn't pay theaters prices to see this.

4/10
My niece recommended Antlers, so now I'm confused.

I guess I'll have to watch it myself to decide!

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is easy as hell to narrow down for me, but hard as hell to decide. I am down to Aliens and T2 and I am struggling.

1643175438499.png

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be the place to ask. I’ve seen Conjuring 1 and 2 and Annabelle Creation and I liked them all pretty decently. Any recommendations from you guys about others from this franchise to watch or avoid? I don’t care about watching them in order or anything, clearly I already fucked that up in terms of story, not release date.

I say that because at the end of Creation, I had no idea who the people were at the end, people from other Annabelle movies I’m guessing.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be the place to ask. I’ve seen Conjuring 1 and 2 and Annabelle Creation and I liked them all pretty decently. Any recommendations from you guys about others from this franchise to watch or avoid? I don’t care about watching them in order or anything, clearly I already fucked that up in terms of story, not release date.

I say that because at the end of Creation, I had no idea who the people were at the end, people from other Annabelle movies I’m guessing.

You already watched all the good movies on that franchise. The last conjuring wasn't up to par but I guess it's the next best, because Anabelle, The Nun and La Llorona are crap.

Maybe for something similar, you can watch the Insidious movies. The first two are pretty decent.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@FaCe-LeE-uS
You are the recommendation master. Any words of advice for Biff Tannen?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright then........back to a bunch of '80s stuff!

Prom Night (1980)-

Jamie Lee Curtis follows up her high school Laurie Strode in Halloween by playing a high schooler on a prom night that has a big ol' body count.

A group of 10 year olds terrorize a girl who falls to her death. The kids make a pact never to tell anyone. 8 years later these same kids (and some others) are hunted by a masked killer. Not a complicated plot.

Not a bad movie but it does have some flaws. It is very stereotypical of the time but it has some likeable characters. The kids being stalked and killed are the equivalent of a good Friday the 13th cast. Leslie Neilson plays what might be his last straight role.

It was notable to me that some stuff was very reminiscent of Scream: the killer calls on the phone and uses a disguised voice to threaten the kids, and the killer gets kicked around a bit, much like Ghostface does. Also the knife is the main weapon of choice. Wes Craven might have watched this at some point.

One interesting fact is that the director wanted the movie to have basically no gore but the production company insisted on adding quite a bit more. This situation is usually the opposite in horror movies.

Also of note, they distributed 10,000 "scream pillows" to theatres for opening night.

I'll go 5 to 5.5 outta 10. The characters are ok and things flow well but the "twist/reveal" is fairly obvious and generic. It isn't bad but it suffers from seemingly trying to profit by blending the better films Carrie and Halloween.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 (1987)-

Ok. This one was a bit batshit.

In the 1950s, Mary Lou is the popular chick in school, and a seemingly shoe-in for Prom Queen. She is also a horrible bitch with no redeeming personality traits. When she screws around on her high school boyfriend (who looks about 40) during the prom itself(!) he implements some revenge only to have it go wrong and burn the harpy bitch to a toasty crisp.
30 years later a bunch of students prepare for the prom but they mistakenly awaken Mary Lou's evil spirit who starts possessing and killing people.

*Some cool, weird stuff happens, but it makes zero sense. Interdimensional abductions, telekinesis kills, multiple possessions, etc.
*There is absolutely zero connection to the first film except that they both culminate on prom night.
*Michael Ironside (Scanners) chews up some scenery in the few scenes he is given but beyond that the acting was a bit non-descript. Some decent fx stuff though.

A kinda fun ride! Very '80s and heavily influenced by A Nightmare on Elm Street than the straight up Halloween influenced original movie. It only became a Prom Night movie because the studio decided to rebrand the stand alone story as such but I think that just confused the audience and might have hurt the pic.

I'll go 6 outta 10 range. Ridiculous but I actually enjoyed it a little more than the original.

Apparently there are parts 3 and 4 out there. I've never really heard of either of them but maybe someday I'll check them out. There is also a 2008 remake of the original that I never saw.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)-

Lol! This one.......
I remember watching this on late night cable a few times. A Roger Corman production that is stepped the violence and sexplotation aspects of his "darker" works.

A small fishing community suffers from a rash of dissappearances that turn out to be a bunch of rubber-suited Creature from the Black Lagoon wannabes who "kill all of the men and r*pe all of the women" (Cormen's words, not mine). It turns out a fishing company engineered genetically modified salmon but some escaped where they mutated and became very horny for human women? (It makes no sense, but whatever).

Lots of violence and gore. The director didn't follow Cormen's instructions to go over-the-top on the exploitation aspects so Roger went back and added a bunch of stuff after production. This ended up pissing off the director, a bunch of the the actors and crew, as well as the general public.

The movie itself is pretty decent in some aspects but not so great in others. It flows ok, but the script and acting are a bit "meh". Doug McClure is pretty good. Some of the fxs are cool and gory but the rubber suit monsters are a bit funny.

Not for everyone but if you enjoy this type of movie then a 6 to 6.5 range outta 10 imo. But it is straight up schlock with some cringy stuff so the average movie goer will not appreciate it.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a big fan of these as well and @DarthVedder pretty much nailed it. The first two Conjuring movies are far and away the best. The best Annabelle is Creation. Annabella Comes Home is ok, I at least thought it was better than The Nun, La Llorona or the first Annabelle.

I would recommend The Exorcist if you haven't seen it lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@FaCe-LeE-uS
You are the recommendation master. Any words of advice for Biff Tannen?
Slammed at work & going through a ringer with my contractor over a contract dispute… Final walkthrough today then I should have some extra time to fart around in here.

Biff… I’ll try to get back to you tonight. Off the top of my head the Annabelle movies had some stinkers in it, but the latest was pretty good. I loved all of the Conjuring movies. 2 was amazing, 1 was awesome, and 3 was different but still really good. I highly recommended all of them. I’d have to dig into the Annabelle movies to recollect them fully.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creature (1985)-

Some geologists on Saturn's moon Titan find an alien life form, which attacks and kills them. Another group is sent from Earth to find out what happened only to also be terrorized by the alien lifeform.

This one was a bit of a slog. The story is straight up an Alien rip-off (until it becomes a Thing from Another World ripoff near the end). The actors are basically non-descript with the exception of always insane Klaus Kinski (The characters don't follow the basic rule of NEVER TRUST Klaus Kinski. This was applicable for both film and in real life).

This one mostly bored me. It was way too dark, which seems intentional since I checked out 3 or 4 different versions and they were all very poorly lit. The character development was almost nonexistent. I can't even specifically recommend the fxs because they were hard to see. They spent some money making this but then they made it physically challenging to watch!

Avoid unless you are interested in the works and life of the crazy asshole Klaus Kinski (Aguirre: Wrath of God, the remake of Nosferatu, etc. are much, much better), or just want to see all of the Alien ripoffs of the time.

4 outta 10 area from me. I might go higher if I could find a better lit print but I don't know if that exists.

Apparently there was a new director's cut released in 2013 called The Titan Find. I just don't know if it is worth the effort to bother checking it out.

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of these as well and @DarthVedder pretty much nailed it. The first two Conjuring movies are far and away the best. The best Annabelle is Creation. Annabella Comes Home is ok, I at least thought it was better than The Nun, La Llorona or the first Annabelle.

I would recommend The Exorcist if you haven't seen it lol.
Love The Exorcist. The power of Christ compels you!

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slammed at work & going through a ringer with my contractor over a contract dispute… Final walkthrough today then I should have some extra time to fart around in here.

Biff… I’ll try to get back to you tonight. Off the top of my head the Annabelle movies had some stinkers in it, but the latest was pretty good. I loved all of the Conjuring movies. 2 was amazing, 1 was awesome, and 3 was different but still really good. I highly recommended all of them. I’d have to dig into the Annabelle movies to recollect them fully.
Thanks man!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man!
There’s no right or wrong way to watch all these movies, whether by release date or by chronological order. But it’s simpler to look at them chronologically.
  • The Nun
  • Annabelle: Creation
  • Annabelle
  • The Conjuring
  • Annabelle Comes Home
  • The Curse of La Llorona
  • The Conjuring 2
  • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
They all feature some clever tie-ins to some of the movies… But honestly they aren’t exactly necessary building blocks, rather just making the entire franchise feel more fluid.

The entire Annabelle spin-off was pretty gimmicky and honestly I didn’t care much for Annabelle or Annabelle: Creation. In Annabelle Comes Home they did a much better job of tying in the Warrens & making it more about their arc, which is a much more satisfactory plot. Annabelle was probably the worst of the lot and doesn’t add much to anything other than itself, and relies heavily on the scares rather than building a fluid plot.

The Nun was ok. Don’t honestly remember a lot about it so I don’t think I cared much for it. Basically all it does is give us backstory behind the crazy Nun ghost, and one other character Easter egg that would ruin a story arc so I’d rather not mention it unless you don’t care to watch it.

Curse of La Llorana is a great movie but it doesn’t have any tie ins to the Warrens other than a priest that was in the Annabelle movie. So honestly this is more of a stand-alone.

The Conjuring Films are the heavy hitters in this chronology. Everything else sort of radiates from it, so they definitely need to be the focus.

Although the franchises aren’t linked, the Insidious movies are commonly thought to intertwine with these movies. They are in the same vein and just as fun, but they aren’t connected.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recommend Sinister
Alright then........back to a bunch of '80s stuff!

Prom Night (1980)-

Jamie Lee Curtis follows up her high school Laurie Strode in Halloween by playing a high schooler on a prom night that has a big ol' body count.

A group of 10 year olds terrorize a girl who falls to her death. The kids make a pact never to tell anyone. 8 years later these same kids (and some others) are hunted by a masked killer. Not a complicated plot.

Not a bad movie but it does have some flaws. It is very stereotypical of the time but it has some likeable characters. The kids being stalked and killed are the equivalent of a good Friday the 13th cast. Leslie Neilson plays what might be his last straight role.

It was notable to me that some stuff was very reminiscent of Scream: the killer calls on the phone and uses a disguised voice to threaten the kids, and the killer gets kicked around a bit, much like Ghostface does. Also the knife is the main weapon of choice. Wes Craven might have watched this at some point.

One interesting fact is that the director wanted the movie to have basically no gore but the production company insisted on adding quite a bit more. This situation is usually the opposite in horror movies.

Also of note, they distributed 10,000 "scream pillows" to theatres for opening night.

I'll go 5 to 5.5 outta 10. The characters are ok and things flow well but the "twist/reveal" is fairly obvious and generic. It isn't bad but it suffers from seemingly trying to profit by blending the better films Carrie and Halloween.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 (1987)-

Ok. This one was a bit batshit.

In the 1950s, Mary Lou is the popular chick in school, and a seemingly shoe-in for Prom Queen. She is also a horrible bitch with no redeeming personality traits. When she screws around on her high school boyfriend (who looks about 40) during the prom itself(!) he implements some revenge only to have it go wrong and burn the harpy bitch to a toasty crisp.
30 years later a bunch of students prepare for the prom but they mistakenly awaken Mary Lou's evil spirit who starts possessing and killing people.

*Some cool, weird stuff happens, but it makes zero sense. Interdimensional abductions, telekinesis kills, multiple possessions, etc.
*There is absolutely zero connection to the first film except that they both culminate on prom night.
*Michael Ironside (Scanners) chews up some scenery in the few scenes he is given but beyond that the acting was a bit non-descript. Some decent fx stuff though.

A kinda fun ride! Very '80s and heavily influenced by A Nightmare on Elm Street than the straight up Halloween influenced original movie. It only became a Prom Night movie because the studio decided to rebrand the stand alone story as such but I think that just confused the audience and might have hurt the pic.

I'll go 6 outta 10 range. Ridiculous but I actually enjoyed it a little more than the original.

Apparently there are parts 3 and 4 out there. I've never really heard of either of them but maybe someday I'll check them out. There is also a 2008 remake of the original that I never saw.

3 is similar to part 2. Part 4 is a complete departure.

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no right or wrong way to watch all these movies, whether by release date or by chronological order. But it’s simpler to look at them chronologically.
  • The Nun
  • Annabelle: Creation
  • Annabelle
  • The Conjuring
  • Annabelle Comes Home
  • The Curse of La Llorona
  • The Conjuring 2
  • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
They all feature some clever tie-ins to some of the movies… But honestly they aren’t exactly necessary building blocks, rather just making the entire franchise feel more fluid.

The entire Annabelle spin-off was pretty gimmicky and honestly I didn’t care much for Annabelle or Annabelle: Creation. In Annabelle Comes Home they did a much better job of tying in the Warrens & making it more about their arc, which is a much more satisfactory plot. Annabelle was probably the worst of the lot and doesn’t add much to anything other than itself, and relies heavily on the scares rather than building a fluid plot.

The Nun was ok. Don’t honestly remember a lot about it so I don’t think I cared much for it. Basically all it does is give us backstory behind the crazy Nun ghost, and one other character Easter egg that would ruin a story arc so I’d rather not mention it unless you don’t care to watch it.

Curse of La Llorana is a great movie but it doesn’t have any tie ins to the Warrens other than a priest that was in the Annabelle movie. So honestly this is more of a stand-alone.

The Conjuring Films are the heavy hitters in this chronology. Everything else sort of radiates from it, so they definitely need to be the focus.

Although the franchises aren’t linked, the Insidious movies are commonly thought to intertwine with these movies. They are in the same vein and just as fun, but they aren’t connected.
Very concise and thorough, I greatly appreciate it!