• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,566.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to find a good horror flick with decent to good acting nowadays.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I make a recommendation, sir? Next time include a youtube trailer?

Nothing against your review or anything....I found it enjoyable, just a suggestion.

I typically post from my phone and I really don't know how to get the trailer on when using this device. When I use a pc then I do add a trailer.

I can check again as there has to be some way to do this but I've had the phone for over 2.5 years now and have not figured it out.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the weekend, I watched "Pieces" which was released in 1982. I bought it cause I heard really good things about it, and how violent and over the top the gore was, but I was kinda disappointed with it. I hear it's some sort of cult classic, but it just seemed really cheesy to me and was kinda predictable.
Don't get me wrong, some of the kills with the chainsaw were insane, but it just wasn't that great.

@FaCe-LeE-uS @DJ @Chef99 any of you guys ever see it?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Bone Tomahawk the other day. Pretty good western horror flick staring, among others Kurt Russell.

Sid Haig and David Arquette run afoul of some creepy cave dwelling natives and lead them to a sleepy town where they kidnap some people. Since all of the workers have left the area, they can only gather up a small search party to track them down. Chaos ensues. Bodies are split open. Heads roll.

A very slow paced movie with an extremely minimalistic style. Almost no soundtrack. Dialog is realistic. More western than horror by choice, but the horror is in it.

The good:
*Acting is top notch with Russell, Mathew Fox, Patrick Wilson, and Richard Jenkins all carry the load.
*Directing, cinematography, general quality is good.
*Story is solid. Well written and executed.
*The canibal troglodyte bad guys are creepy and nasty.

The bad:
*Very slow.
*The fxs are well done, but they really could have ramped up the blood and guts. It would have really have taken the movie to next level if they would have gave us some more gratuitous violence.

Worth a watch. 7.5 out of 10.

Wasn't there some over the top kill in that movie?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the weekend, I watched "Pieces" which was released in 1982. I bought it cause I heard really good things about it, and how violent and over the top the gore was, but I was kinda disappointed with it. I hear it's some sort of cult classic, but it just seemed really cheesy to me and was kinda predictable.
Don't get me wrong, some of the kills with the chainsaw were insane, but it just wasn't that great.

Arent they all cheesy when you watch them today?

I remember a movie called 'Madman' i watched as a kid...Scariest Shit Ever in the mid 80's or so

id imagine id laugh hysterically at that movie today

Dont think we could ever appreciate those movies the way we did back than

The Conjuring for me is a quality movie that brings back memories of a truly scary movie, like i watched a lot as a kid...I look forward to the sequel

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,566.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw it years ago....may to need to check it out again.....from what I remember it was about a killer on a college campus....the whole point was to be so over the top. Not great but I enjoyed it.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it years ago....may to need to check it out again.....from what I remember it was about a killer on a college campus....the whole point was to be so over the top. Not great but I enjoyed it.

Yup, pretty much. Collecting female body parts to create another woman.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arent they all cheesy when you watch them today?

I remember a movie called 'Madman' i watched as a kid...Scariest Shit Ever in the mid 80's or so

id imagine id laugh hysterically at that movie today

Dont think we could ever appreciate those movies the way we did back than

The Conjuring for me is a quality movie that brings back memories of a truly scary movie, like i watched a lot as a kid...I look forward to the sequel

It's such an 80's slasher movie, but it was more comedic than it was scary.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember that one! I remember cracking up at the guy who played Bluto in Popeye as he massacres a tiny tree with a chainsaw.

At the time it was considered pretty nasty movie. I am sure it hasn't aged well though.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that one! I remember cracking up at the guy who played Bluto in Popeye as he massacres a tiny tree with a chainsaw.

At the time it was considered pretty nasty movie. I am sure it hasn't aged well though.

Definitely crazy for it's time, but definitely does not hold up well. It really seemed more funny than anything else.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think I've ever heard of "Pieces". I was intrigued for a split second until I read the opinions.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gah, I've been out the horror game for a few weeks. Been busier than a one legged man in an asskicking contest.

:gaah:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Finally got our asses to the theater to see it! This movie wasn't exactly what I expected. It was more of a psychological thriller than a sci-fi thriller. Nevertheless, the mysteries on the surface added a pretty good tension to the overall progression. Obviously fans were expecting something along the lines of its predecessor, but the writers decided to use that anticipation as a plot builder. It may have disappointed a lot of people! I will admit that I was a little disappointed, however I still thought the movie was good. And for those worried about that, don't be fooled because the climax provides. The acting was great. Since the bulk of the story surrounds 3 characters in a secluded setting, the acting had to take center stage. John Goodman delivers a very powerful performance. Honestly I didn't know he had it in him! The complex nature of his character really needed a good actor. Not that I didn't think Goodman was good, but I have never seen him in a role that allowed him to perform like this. Bravo Goodman! The movie had good suspense, but it left me wanting more. It still does a lot to keep you enthralled & entertained so its definitely worth seeing! Just temper your expectations. Honestly, this movie should be viewed as more of a prequel than a paraquel (takes place simultaneously with another story) or circumquel (takes place partly before or after certain other story).

Slow builder, but delivers... 7.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regression (2015)

If you're into the shock value horror/thrillers then this movie will disappoint you. This takes more of a '70/80s horror approach, where there's more mystery & drama involved. As you can guess its a slow builder. It's main strong point is setting up plot twists and providing an active exercise in psychology and deceit. The story is intense because the mystery is well built, and the suspense is well kept. If you can truly grasp the plot, however confusing it may be, then you are probably aware of the terrifying nature of the truth behind it all. It's a f*cked up world we live in! It is not the best thriller ever mad but it is rock solid. I really liked the overall mood it builds up, the tension throughout, and how it makes sense altogether. That doesn't mean that everyone enjoys it or will enjoy watching it because it can get confusing and is a little hard to understand.The lighting & locations create a great atmosphere. The acting was solid. Hawke & Watson are excellent in their roles.

Horrifying true story... 7.5/10

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I feel about those movies... Honestly don't understand how they are so popular. Some of them are so bad, that people mistake them for horror comedies. The Sharknado movies are obviously comedies, but the rest are just terrible. I've only seen the 1st Sharknado though.

2 Headed Shark Attack
3 Headed Shark Attack
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark
Sharktopus
Sand Sharks
Avalanche Sharks
Attack of the Jurassic Shark
Zombie Shark
etc. etc.

The list goes on & on!

If anyone is looking for a good shark movie, then I'd recommend Bait. I reviewed it some time ago... post #650 back on page 33.

There are so many of those SYFY movies and yea ...I don' t know how anyone can watch those cheesy graphics.
The acting is not half bad in some one them but then some giant scorpion shows up in what I call pourn quality CGI.

For God sakes buy some decent hardware and headhunt a top quality CGI guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many of those SYFY movies and yea ...I don' t know how anyone can watch those cheesy graphics.
The acting is not half bad in some one them but then some giant scorpion shows up in what I call pourn quality CGI.

For God sakes buy some decent hardware and headhunt a top quality CGI guy.
I agree. I don't understand the allure to that crap. If I can't even find humor in it (no matter what genre they are going for) then its a waste of time. Most of the time I don't!

Ever watch that Lavalantula or whatever it was called? lol. I only saw the trailer and thought "smh Syfy channel is at it again!"