• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to see 10 Cloverfield Lane at 2pm with the girlfriend. I'll let you folks know how it goes.
Missed my chance to see this over the weekend!!! I'm awaiting your review DJ! No spoilers!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMING SOON! (sort of)

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

Release Date: July 4th Weekend

Synopsis: Two years after choosing not to kill the man who killed his son, former police sergeant Barnes has become head of security for Senator Charlene Roan, the front runner in the next Presidential election due to her vow to eliminate the Purge.

Pretty stoked for this movie. I've been a pretty big fan ever since the 1st. 2nd movie was ok. They tried to explore out into the world more and it was expected to be a little more insane. But I didn't care for how they sort of lost sight of the horror element and leaned more towards a thriller. I'm hoping they let the bad guys take a larger role in this next one. Judging by the trailer it looks like it will be along the same lines as the 2nd though. Nevertheless, it looks pretty epic!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 Cloverfield Lane was pretty damn good.

The film opens with Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) driving and looking at her cell phone on the seat next to her. The phone rings, she answers it and listens to her boyfriend pleading for her to return.....she hangs up and it rings again a moment later.....she glances at it on the seat next to her and she is blindsided by a car and her car takes a turn for the worse...

When she wakes up she's in a bunker and being held prisoner by a man named Howard (John Goodman) who says he saved her. She pleads with him for her freedom but he tells her the outside world has been victimized by chemical warfare. She is skeptical but she is somewhat convinced when Emmett (John Gallagher Jr) tells her the same thing....the unlikely trio co-exist for a little while until Michelle and Emmett decide to make a gas mask and escape. Won't continue so I don't ruin it for you fine folks.

The movie is a simple premise that is executed pretty well and John Goodman gives a tour de force acting job as a mentally unbalanced character. Goodman plays a creepy weirdo to a capital T and gives one of his better acting jobs in recent memory.

I'd give it a solid 8 on a scale of 1 of a 10.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMING SOON! (sort of)

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

Release Date: July 4th Weekend

Synopsis: Two years after choosing not to kill the man who killed his son, former police sergeant Barnes has become head of security for Senator Charlene Roan, the front runner in the next Presidential election due to her vow to eliminate the Purge.

Pretty stoked for this movie. I've been a pretty big fan ever since the 1st. 2nd movie was ok. They tried to explore out into the world more and it was expected to be a little more insane. But I didn't care for how they sort of lost sight of the horror element and leaned more towards a thriller. I'm hoping they let the bad guys take a larger role in this next one. Judging by the trailer it looks like it will be along the same lines as the 2nd though. Nevertheless, it looks pretty epic!

Looks better than the 2nd one!!

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharknado 4 is going to star Gary Busey... Might be worth it just for that. I gut laughed so many times during the first 3.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharknado 4 is going to star Gary Busey... Might be worth it just for that. I gut laughed so many times during the first 3.

I've gotta admit...for Busey, I think you are right. True crazy is always worth watching. :)

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharknado 4? Jesus.

Saw the first 2 but haven't seen the last one and not sure if I'll see the 4th installment.

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharknado 3 has some of the most ridiculous things i've seen in a movie.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched a weird little Irish flick called "Nina Forever". It's more of a psychological case study with a strange horror element.

I didn't know too much about it going in. Just that a guy and his new girlfriend are constantly visited by his dead ex. IMDB lists it as a Romance-Horror-Comedy. Therefore I expected some sort of zom-com, but it was really not.

So Rob's girlfriend was killed in a motorcycle wreck from which he walks away from. He is racked with guilt and seriously depressed. Along comes Holly who is attracted to his darkness. They get together (quite literally) and Nina starts popping up to annoy them with bitchy philosophic rants. She flops around and bleds on everything and generally makes an undead pest of herself.

The good:
*What little fxs are used are pretty decent
*Holly has a nice set of garbonzos and isn't afraid to whip'em out and bounce around. Her and Rob do the sign of the two humped camel like a couple of rabbits in heat for most of the flick.
*The subtext of the story is interesting (whether or not the story is actually good is debatable)

The bad:
*Not much action. Very slow.
*Dialogue, particularly from Nina, is pretentious and boring.
*Acting, directing, cinematography, etc is mediocre to average. It plays like a drama student's attempt at being clever in showing a physical embodiment of the baggage that people bring into new relationships.
*They react very mildly to a dead floppy rotting bleeding talking corpse popping up. A few times it is basically almost a threesome with her!
*Douchey hipster soundtrack.

Overall, the quality is not bad but the movie is still not good. I give it a 4 outof 10.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharknado 3 has some of the most ridiculous things i've seen in a movie.

Haven't seen much of the Sharknado series but I did watch Sharktopus vs Whalewolf, which was horrendously funny and bad at the same time.

I can't believe they can get this stuff greenlit!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched a weird little Irish flick called "Nina Forever". It's more of a psychological case study with a strange horror element.

I didn't know too much about it going in. Just that a guy and his new girlfriend are constantly visited by his dead ex. IMDB lists it as a Romance-Horror-Comedy. Therefore I expected some sort of zom-com, but it was really not.

So Rob's girlfriend was killed in a motorcycle wreck from which he walks away from. He is racked with guilt and seriously depressed. Along comes Holly who is attracted to his darkness. They get together (quite literally) and Nina starts popping up to annoy them with bitchy philosophic rants. She flops around and bleds on everything and generally makes an undead pest of herself.

The good:
*What little fxs are used are pretty decent
*Holly has a nice set of garbonzos and isn't afraid to whip'em out and bounce around. Her and Rob do the sign of the two humped camel like a couple of rabbits in heat for most of the flick.
*The subtext of the story is interesting (whether or not the story is actually good is debatable)

The bad:
*Not much action. Very slow.
*Dialogue, particularly from Nina, is pretentious and boring.
*Acting, directing, cinematography, etc is mediocre to average. It plays like a drama student's attempt at being clever in showing a physical embodiment of the baggage that people bring into new relationships.
*They react very mildly to a dead floppy rotting bleeding talking corpse popping up. A few times it is basically almost a threesome with her!
*Douchey hipster soundtrack.

Overall, the quality is not bad but the movie is still not good. I give it a 4 outof 10.

Hmm. Might hafta check this out and see what's what. ;)

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo @FaCe-LeE-uS did you see the horror movies "Clown" that was produced by Eli Roth? You can watch it on Youtube, I just did. Not that bad, kinda slow, but a decent movie. Here is the trailer.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo @FaCe-LeE-uS did you see the horror movies "Clown" that was produced by Eli Roth? You can watch it on Youtube, I just did. Not that bad, kinda slow, but a decent movie. Here is the trailer.

Yes I have seen it! It is a good movie! Most clown movies are pretty cheesy, but that one was well made. The gore is top shelf, from what I remember.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen much of the Sharknado series but I did watch Sharktopus vs Whalewolf, which was horrendously funny and bad at the same time.

I can't believe they can get this stuff greenlit!
This is how I feel about those movies... Honestly don't understand how they are so popular. Some of them are so bad, that people mistake them for horror comedies. The Sharknado movies are obviously comedies, but the rest are just terrible. I've only seen the 1st Sharknado though.

2 Headed Shark Attack
3 Headed Shark Attack
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark
Sharktopus
Sand Sharks
Avalanche Sharks
Attack of the Jurassic Shark
Zombie Shark
etc. etc.

The list goes on & on!

If anyone is looking for a good shark movie, then I'd recommend Bait. I reviewed it some time ago... post #650 back on page 33.

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Bone Tomahawk the other day. Pretty good western horror flick staring, among others Kurt Russell.

Sid Haig and David Arquette run afoul of some creepy cave dwelling natives and lead them to a sleepy town where they kidnap some people. Since all of the workers have left the area, they can only gather up a small search party to track them down. Chaos ensues. Bodies are split open. Heads roll.

A very slow paced movie with an extremely minimalistic style. Almost no soundtrack. Dialog is realistic. More western than horror by choice, but the horror is in it.

The good:
*Acting is top notch with Russell, Mathew Fox, Patrick Wilson, and Richard Jenkins all carry the load.
*Directing, cinematography, general quality is good.
*Story is solid. Well written and executed.
*The canibal troglodyte bad guys are creepy and nasty.

The bad:
*Very slow.
*The fxs are well done, but they really could have ramped up the blood and guts. It would have really have taken the movie to next level if they would have gave us some more gratuitous violence.

Worth a watch. 7.5 out of 10.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes out April 7:

From the makers of Sharknado....soooooo stupid I'll end up watching it. :lol:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Bone Tomahawk the other day. Pretty good western horror flick staring, among others Kurt Russell.

Sid Haig and David Arquette run afoul of some creepy cave dwelling natives and lead them to a sleepy town where they kidnap some people. Since all of the workers have left the area, they can only gather up a small search party to track them down. Chaos ensues. Bodies are split open. Heads roll.

A very slow paced movie with an extremely minimalistic style. Almost no soundtrack. Dialog is realistic. More western than horror by choice, but the horror is in it.

The good:
*Acting is top notch with Russell, Mathew Fox, Patrick Wilson, and Richard Jenkins all carry the load.
*Directing, cinematography, general quality is good.
*Story is solid. Well written and executed.
*The canibal troglodyte bad guys are creepy and nasty.

The bad:
*Very slow.
*The fxs are well done, but they really could have ramped up the blood and guts. It would have really have taken the movie to next level if they would have gave us some more gratuitous violence.

Worth a watch. 7.5 out of 10.

Can I make a recommendation, sir? Next time include a youtube trailer?

Nothing against your review or anything....I found it enjoyable, just a suggestion.