• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So… watching Trick ‘r Treat with my 11 yo son… Don’t know why, I just assumed that this is pg13 so some good scares for him… and two minutes inti the movie boom… tits on the big screen tv.

Damn it

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So… watching Trick ‘r Treat with my 11 yo son… Don’t know why, I just assumed that this is pg13 so some good scares for him… and two minutes inti the movie boom… tits on the big screen tv.

Damn it

Eh he's 11.... if he has any sort of access to a computer he's likely seen it all...

Give him some condoms and Astroglide and call it a day.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh he's 11.... if he has any sort of access to a computer he's likely seen it all...

Give him some condoms and Astroglide and call it a day.

Yeah I only read the parents guide and we finished the movie. Just skipped one scene.

Good movie btw. Much better than I expected.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn it
So uh…… how’d he like ‘em?

Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr Harrigan's Phone (2022)-

So we have Blumhouse and Stephen King teaming up, with some really old Donald Sutherland thrown in for good measure.

After his mother passes, a 10ish year old kid gets hired to read to a small town local reclusive billionare. Fast forward 5 or 6 years later and the kid is dealing with bullying in high school, and dealing with other injustices in his life. He sits up his now-friend billionare with modern technology, but soon after the old guy dies. The kid slips the cell phone he gave him into the coffin, and soon he starts receiving messages and possibly actual physical manifestations in his life.

A well executed film in generally all aspects of production. In fact I can't really think of many negatives except for maybe some slow pacing (this often happens when dragging out a short story to try to reach feature length), a slight lack of character development beyond the main protagonist, and the story itself being a bit light. Everything else is solid to good.

The "downside" (for me at least) is that this is probably best described as "horror adjacent". On the Stephen King horror scale it probably falls somewhere between the not really horror at all Stand By Me (from the short story The Body) and the kind of horror/fantasy The Green Mile. There are several aspects that are horror (messages and calls from the grave, mysterious offscreen deaths) but it is more of a coming of age morality tale with some horror sprinkled in.

I'll go 6.5 to 7 outta 10. Everything is done well, and it is a good story. But it is s little slow and only conceptually a bit scary.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr Harrigan's Phone (2022)-

So we have Blumhouse and Stephen King teaming up, with some really old Donald Sutherland thrown in for good measure.

After his mother passes, a 10ish year old kid gets hired to read to a small town local reclusive billionare. Fast forward 5 or 6 years later and the kid is dealing with bullying in high school, and dealing with other injustices in his life. He sits up his now-friend billionare with modern technology, but soon after the old guy dies. The kid slips the cell phone he gave him into the coffin, and soon he starts receiving messages and possibly actual physical manifestations in his life.

A well executed film in generally all aspects of production. In fact I can't really think of many negatives except for maybe some slow pacing (this often happens when dragging out a short story to try to reach feature length), a slight lack of character development beyond the main protagonist, and the story itself being a bit light. Everything else is solid to good.

The "downside" (for me at least) is that this is probably best described as "horror adjacent". On the Stephen King horror scale it probably falls somewhere between the not really horror at all Stand By Me (from the short story The Body) and the kind of horror/fantasy The Green Mile. There are several aspects that are horror (messages and calls from the grave, mysterious offscreen deaths) but it is more of a coming of age morality tale with some horror sprinkled in.

I'll go 6.5 to 7 outta 10. Everything is done well, and it is a good story. But it is s little slow and only conceptually a bit scary.

Just finished and pretty much agree. It was good not great and I liked it but it was written as a short story and probably should have stayed a short story. The concept alone isn't quite enough to flesh out a full movie, 45 mins as part of an anthology it would have been perfect

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished up Midnight Club, I enjoyed it. With that said it's really not horror. It's probably 50% mystery/thriller, 40% young adult/coming of age and 10% horror. Typical Flanagan work, solid character building, great atmosphere/setting, the pacing is great. But similar to Bly Manor, it's a different genre disguised as horror.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santa Sangre (1989)-

Ok.........where to start?

This one opens with a naked and apparently feral-lite man sitting in a large tree branch in a padded cell where the attendants feed him raw whole fish..........then it starts to get weird!

Santa Sangre is a highly acclaimed avant-garde surrealist horror film by iconic Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowsky. While I've never seen any of his other films and his work seems a bit bizaree even for me, this was one of the films that the legendary Joe Bob Briggs recommended to me in my birthday Cameo video last year. So if Joe Bob recommends it, then I have to see it!

Anyways, this story is about a kid who lives and performs as a magician in a circus. His mother is a trapeze artist, and also the leader of a religious cult that worships a lady who was r*ped and her arms cut off, and his father is a hypnotist and knife thrower. They are surrounded by all kinds of strange folks, such as his little person companion, the painted lady, many small clowns, etc. etc.
At some point his crazy jealous mother attacks his father, so he cuts off her arms (much like her patron saint).
There are a lot of time jumps back and forth throughout the film, and we see that the kid has grown up and developed an act with his mother where he performs as her arms. She also demands that he acts as her arms to perform nasty activities in the real world.
That is essentially a generally non-spoiler synopsis, but it really doesn't demonstrate exactly how weirdly insane this movie is. I've seen a lot of weird assed movies in my time, and I (generally) love Terry Gilliam's stuff. Those here know that I enjoyed a lot of the bizaree Italian stuff from the likes of Argento and Fulchi. But this movie is probably the strangest, weirdest movie I have ever seen! (and that is a pretty big statement).
Some of the weirdness:
*Acid tossing attacks
*Roided out hermaphrodite wrestler "chick"
*Penis chopping
*Elephant blood vomiting
*Self ear pull off
*Hallucinatory zombie brides
*While in the asylum, the lead hangs out with Down's Syndrome folks. They meet with a pimp who takes the group to a very large prostitute
*One of the most brutal attack death scenes I have ever seen! (Again, that is a pretty big statement! But make sure that you see the NC-17 version as it is cut in the R rated version).
*Child knife chest tattoo
Etc, etc, etc, etc........

In addition to the visual weirdness, the score is very prevalent and well done. It also has fairly large style shifts to emphasize mood changes.
All of this and I haven't even mentioned the deaf mute love interest chick that plays a large role in the movie!

Jodorowsky's sons play both the younger and grown up versions of the lead, and do surprisingly good jobs (nepotism casting often fails, but not here). The rest of cast is pretty good also, with any overacting being acceptable for the surreal strangeness of it all. The colors, the characters, the imagery are all very, very prevalent.

So much more could be said but I'll leave it with a rating of 7 to 7.5 outta 10 range. It could be higher but some of it was just too out there even for me. Apparently his other films are even stranger (but not necessarily horror). But be warned that it certainly is not for everyone!

In closing, a note from a critic: "A massive clearance sale of psychedelia, "Santa Sangre" is enough to make a movie critic toss his notebook across a screening room."

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might give this a go.
Anyone else?
Del Toro is "only" a producer here, but I do have faith that he was hands-on, and therefore the end project should be good.
There are some solid "up and coming" directors in it.

It looks pretty good. Hopefully Masters of Horror level, or possibly even better!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with the way the industry is going and streaming networks dominating and getting the big budgets I think horror anthologies are the way to go. 45-50 min is perfect for a lot of stories.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Mummy (1959) to cap off the Peter Cushing horror movies, I'd rank it third (Behind Horror of Dracula and Frankenstein). A little boring to be honest, probably about 15 mins total of action which was enjoyable but definitely a one and done.

I'm 20 mins into Village of the Damned (1960) and this opening holds up, absolute banger. We'll see how the rest plays out.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Mummy (1959) to cap off the Peter Cushing horror movies, I'd rank it third (Behind Horror of Dracula and Frankenstein). A little boring to be honest, probably about 15 mins total of action which was enjoyable but definitely a one and done.

I'm 20 mins into Village of the Damned (1960) and this opening holds up, absolute banger. We'll see how the rest plays out.
Ah.....Village of the Damned! A fine flick! I haven't seen it in many years though.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah.....Village of the Damned! A fine flick! I haven't seen it in many years though.
Finished it and it holds up pretty well. Really good one.

I've gotten through 3 episodes of Cabinet of Curiosities and Iall three have been good, all have their own distinct vibe. Definitely worth checking out.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished it and it holds up pretty well. Really good one.

I've gotten through 3 episodes of Cabinet of Curiosities and Iall three have been good, all have their own distinct vibe. Definitely worth checking out.