• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was askin myself this yesterday... If you were to encounter one of these dudes alone in their movie setting, which one would scare you the most?

Leatherface hands down. If I had the choice between being chased by a chainsaw, dismembered & having my face worn as a novelty mask OR merely being stalked & stabbed to death... Yea I think I'd rather be stabbed to death.
Maybe lol, chainsaw may be quicker though.

It's one of those strong but slow and fast but weak scenarios. I feel like I could outrun Leatherface easily, but if he were to get his ape hands on me... who knows lol. Ghostface is faster and better at hiding/sneaking so they could definitely get ya when you had your guard down. Plus Ghostface tends to get creative every now and again, like with garage doors and whatnot lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I didn't think any of the actors were bad, it's just one of those movies that if the lead does it right, they will outshine everyone in the movie 1000 fold annnnd McAvoy did it right lol.

4a7YHVo.gif

I do not see the greatness in The Autopsy of Jane Doe, I thought it was ok, but no more than average. And it is hard for me to argue with The Conjuring 2 as I love that movie... with that said, McAvoy should have still received a nomination at minimum for Best Actor, they could've kicked Garfield's ass off the nomination list.
Yes the role was tailormade to outshine. Now that I think about it, I really liked Anya Taylor-Joy in that movie though.

TAoJD is average!? Alright now them there is fightin words.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the role was tailormade to outshine. Now that I think about it, I really liked Anya Taylor-Joy in that movie though.

TAoJD is average!? Alright now them there is fightin words.
giphy.gif

Maybe I will rewatch it, but I don't recall liking it.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to post this from a few days ago.

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight.

It is a Polish film on Netflix with english dubbing... I probably should have turned it off because the dubbing is awful. The story as a premise is meh, the story as it unfolds in dumb. It is chalk full of tropes and cliches and I really don't feel like talking about it any more lol. It is not good.

3.5 out of 10 for some semi-decent cinematography in certain points and for some nice Polish boobs.
they actually highlighted that one back in october, it was one of their top ones going, so i gave it a look then. when i say they highlighted it, i mean it was trending on netflix. i feel i fall into a similar issue with amazon prime on a different level. netflix i assume is based on trending with their base. prime, it's like, you've watched these D level horror movies, here's some more.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming these are Jason, Myers, Freddy, and Leatherface... all being slashers, this makes sense. BUT what are your horror movie mount rushmore characters?

Trying to take from different categories, I would go...

Myers - slasher
Regan - supernatural/paranormal
Alien - monster
Jack Torrance - Psychological

15027443_10154644046747604_1456105804466374614_n.jpg
i feel like those categories are too fluid.

slasher needs to be a real person, so Myers fits, even though what he survives would come across as supernatural. on that note, jason and freddie can't be slashers, as they're are most definitely supernatural. going from there, how do you categorize norman bates? he slashed people up, but there was a psychological aspect at play. yet, for psychological, you went with jack torrance who was involved with some supernatural shit? That's already 3 of the four categories just trying to figure out who should go where when trying to fit people in boxes.

That said, I would disqualify Regan and Torrance from the categories you put them in. The supernatural force overtook Regan. Same for Torrance and his category. From a psychological standpoint off the top of my head, it has to be Hannibal Lecter. I take psychological to be a person that's going to fuck with you. I'm sure there might be other considerations when you get to the horror **** genre of what would you rather do that jigsaw opened up.

Supernatural force I would go with Pennywise, been my bane since i was 7.

going with another answer already posted, i'll go with ghostface for the slasher. always different and always an actual person.

so:
Supernatural = Pennywise
Psychological = Hannibal Lecter
Slasher = ghostface

with that said, how do you differentiate between supernatural/paranormal with monster for that last spot? you went alien and I think that would fit more in line with paranormal. as far as monster movies go, i could at least imagine king kong, godzilla, or jaws as earthly beasts, though they still don't register. so, again, i just think it's a weirdly constructed mount rushmore you tried for.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like those categories are too fluid.

slasher needs to be a real person, so Myers fits, even though what he survives would come across as supernatural. on that note, jason and freddie can't be slashers, as they're are most definitely supernatural. going from there, how do you categorize norman bates? he slashed people up, but there was a psychological aspect at play. yet, for psychological, you went with jack torrance who was involved with some supernatural shit? That's already 3 of the four categories just trying to figure out who should go where when trying to fit people in boxes.

That said, I would disqualify Regan and Torrance from the categories you put them in. The supernatural force overtook Regan. Same for Torrance and his category. From a psychological standpoint off the top of my head, it has to be Hannibal Lecter. I take psychological to be a person that's going to fuck with you. I'm sure there might be other considerations when you get to the horror **** genre of what would you rather do that jigsaw opened up.

Supernatural force I would go with Pennywise, been my bane since i was 7.

going with another answer already posted, i'll go with ghostface for the slasher. always different and always an actual person.

so:
Supernatural = Pennywise
Psychological = Hannibal Lecter
Slasher = ghostface

with that said, how do you differentiate between supernatural/paranormal with monster for that last spot? you went alien and I think that would fit more in line with paranormal. as far as monster movies go, i could at least imagine king kong, godzilla, or jaws as earthly beasts, though they still don't register. so, again, i just think it's a weirdly constructed mount rushmore you tried for.
I feel like you are looking into that a little much.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like you are looking into that a little much.
i disagree, you turned a post that was a mount Rushmore of some of the most popular horror characters and wanted to dig in further, while creating your own categories, while at the same time ignoring those categories and essentially naming a character from your favorite horror movies from what i could tell, no?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree, you turned a post that was a mount Rushmore of some of the most popular horror characters and wanted to dig in further, while creating your own categories, while at the same time ignoring those categories and essentially naming a character from your favorite horror movies from what i could tell, no?
I wasn't creating my own categories, I just picked from different horror subgenres that had iconic figures and simply went with ones that I found more iconic.

Alien by every sense is a monster.
Regan, or The Exorcist is a supernatural movie.
Halloween is a slasher.

Hannibal Lecter is a solid choice as well, but to me, based on my experiences, Jack Torrance is more iconic than Hannibal in my opinion.

This
200.gif
is more iconic than this
200.gif
in my opinion.

Similar to how I talked about Ghostface and Leatherface. Ghostface is more iconic to me personally because Scream was the first slasher I saw in theaters, but Leatherface is so iconic that I have known who it was without ever even seeing the movie until recently, so I understand why Leatherface would get the nod for others.

Here maybe this will help clear some things up...

8 Horror Subgenres​

While all horror films are meant to frighten audiences, there are a number of different methods and subgenres of horror that filmmakers may use to make their films scary:
  1. Psychological horror: Psychological horror films rely on mental and emotional fear, rather than violence or monsters, focusing on characters’ states of mind throughout the story. Examples of psychological horror include The Shining, The Silence of the Lambs, and Psycho.
  2. Slasher: Slasher films usually focus on a serial killer (think Michael Myers or Freddy Krueger) as they go after a group of people. Classic slasher films include Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  3. Gore: Gore films, also called splatter films, zero in on the vulnerability of the human body, often with frequent close-ups. Examples of gore films include The Evil Dead and Saw.
  4. Body horror: Closely related to gore, films in the body horror subgenre may feature scenes of the human body that has been severely altered. Filmmaker David Cronenberg is considered a pioneer in the body horror subgenre. Horror films that feature body horror include The Fly, The Thing, and The Exorcist.
  5. Found footage: Found footage is a horror genre in which the film is portrayed as if it were “discovered” by the filmmakers rather than created by them. For instance, main characters finding footage of an unknown evil on an old video recorder. Examples of found footage films include The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield.
  6. Monster horror: Many horror films capitalize on the fear of the unknown by featuring frightening monsters from science fiction and dark fantasy. Werewolves, vampires, aliens are often the main antagonists of this horror subgenre. Most recently, undead and zombie films have been an especially popular form of the classic monster movie. Examples of monster horror films include Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, Jaws, Godzilla, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, and Alien.
  7. Paranormal horror: The paranormal horror subgenre is similar to monster horror, but rather than featuring corporeal beings, paranormal horror focuses on the monsters we can’t touch—supernatural entities like ghosts, spirits, and demons. Paranormal films often feature haunted houses, possession, exorcism, or occult worship. Examples of paranormal horror include The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity, The Conjuring, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, Carrie, and Poltergeist.
  8. Comedy horror: Horror doesn’t always have to leave your skin crawling—there is an entire subset of horror movies that aims to make you laugh at the same time. Examples of comedy horror include Scream, The Cabin in the Woods, Shaun of the Dead, and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

So you are reading way too far into it, but feel free to give your own personal takes on what yours would be in whatever way you like.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't creating my own categories, I just picked from different horror subgenres that had iconic figures and simply went with ones that I found more iconic.

Alien by every sense is a monster.
Regan, or The Exorcist is a supernatural movie.
Halloween is a slasher.

Hannibal Lecter is a solid choice as well, but to me, based on my experiences, Jack Torrance is more iconic than Hannibal in my opinion.

This
200.gif
is more iconic than this
200.gif
in my opinion.

Similar to how I talked about Ghostface and Leatherface. Ghostface is more iconic to me personally because Scream was the first slasher I saw in theaters, but Leatherface is so iconic that I have known who it was without ever even seeing the movie until recently, so I understand why Leatherface would get the nod for others.

Here maybe this will help clear some things up...

So you are reading way too far into it, but feel free to give your own personal takes on what yours would be in whatever way you like.
fair enough, but i still think the categories are too fluid based on my previous post. just looking at a recent movie that popped up on the other site. the skin i live in. to me that could be psychological and body horror. but if you choose a character in the movie, it's clearer which is which.

as doctor sleep confirmed, the shining is a paranormal movie, as much as you want to go with your all work and no play isolation created him as a monster, it was supernatural. meh, this is a dumb conversation, my apologies for continuing it. haven't watched a horror movie in a minute.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Death of Me about a couple on an island in the Indian Ocean waking up after blacking out the night before and trying to piece together what happened and things getting crazier. Honestly a hard pass. Any sort of jump scares fell flat and it wasn't done anywhere near well enough to be a good psychological horror movie.

Also watched Alone which I enjoyed quite a bit more. The preview/description pretty much explain the entire plot, girl gets kidnapped, escapes and the hunt is on. It had some Misery vibes to it, some questionable magical gps tracking abilities were relied on to move things along but definitely worth a watch.