• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched 3 today:

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight:
A Polish Texas Chainsaw/Friday The Thirteenth knock off. Ridiculous, over the top and the acting leaves plenty to be desired but it was good for what it is.

Under the Shadow:
Interesting setting, I dug the vibe of it but felt like the movie held back, most movies go over the top, this one could have afforded more over the top. Some decent jump scares, worth a watch.

Countdown:
Final Destination but an app. Exactly what you expect it to be. It's terrible and great.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS do me proper, bro... and give me a good monster horror movie. Something not quite mainstream, but I want something good with an actual monster. I've seen a lot... this is a bit of a challenge to you, friend.
off the cuff

Splinter (2008)
From the Dark (2014)
Animal (2014)
Troll Hunter (2010)

Let me know if you need more. I can dig into my list

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was amazing. It was pure nostalgia in every sense of the word. If you were a big fan of the original films then you must watch it. This shouldn't even classify as a fan film because it was so well made it could have easily passed as a full-length feature had a production company backed it.

Go watch it asap!
Just finished watching this. I really enjoyed it. And liked a couple of the callbacks (Cunningham Rd and the cameo at the end by Thom Matthews). I'll try to get around to watching Never Hike in the Snow soon. I see some other fan films on there like Halloween Night which I might check out as well, among others at a later date.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
off the cuff

Splinter (2008)
From the Dark (2014)
Animal (2014)
Troll Hunter (2010)

Let me know if you need more. I can dig into my list

Animal was okay. Seen the other three. DIG Face, DIG!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Animal was okay. Seen the other three. DIG Face, DIG!
Going to be difficult as good monster films are a tough draw as far as creature features go... Especially if we're talking "good" lol as most of what I'll come up with are flawed films that have some sort of redeeming quality. Are you open to Animals/Nature (crocs, bears, wolves, sharks, snakes, aliens, werewolves, bigfoot) or just lookin for Neo-Monsters/Monsters? What about supernatural monsters?

Here's a list I came up with for the "better than average" & under the radar (some are more high profile than others) neo-Monster & Monster films... But keep in mind these are all flawed films...

After Midnight (2019)
Animal Among Us (2019)
The Barrens (2012)
Black Water Vampire (2014)
Child Eater (2017)
Devil In the Dark (2017)
Digging Up the Marrow (2015)
Feast (2005)
The Hallow (2015)
Indigenous (2014)
It's In the Blood (2012)
Monsters (2010)
Nailbiter (2013)
Neverknock (2017)
Outlander (2008)
Prey (2019)
Primal Rage: Legend of Konga (2018)
The Pyramid (2014)
Rites of Spring (2011)
The Ritual (2017)
Scarecrow (2013)
Silent Retreat (2013)
Sweetheart (2019)... pretty sure we already discussed this one between us
Under the Bed (2012)
The Void (2016)

Let me know if you want more and I'll keep digging

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheesh... Coming up with that list made me realize how disorganized my horror list is. I need to do a better job of categorizing these films as I watch them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody watch this yet?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@returnofjakedog - this one didn't get good reviews... Mostly calling it "unsatisfying" but it looks pretty decent for a throwaway watch.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AMC really needs to upgrade its Halloween Fest. I love the old Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street movies and always will, but year after year? Time to make a change.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally watched Color Out of Space with Nic Cage. I'd heard good things and I really enjoyed it.

It is a classic H.P. Lovecraft tale, the same that I reviewed a mostly black and white version from Germany which was only so-so. But they did this version from the perspective of the family living on the land instead of the surveyor.

Nic Cage is a dad of a daughter who practices witchcraft, a son who literally sneaks off to the woods to smoke dope with Tommy Chong(!), and a little 4-eyed son. His wife is recovering from cancer. So he bought alpacas and moved everyone way out into the woods.
A surveyor hydrologist meets the family and a few other characters. The family struggles. Then a large glowing metorite crashes into their yard. Everything becomes infected by whatever came with the metorite. All animals, and foliage slowly start to change, as well as the family member's behavior. Things go to shit. Eventually all hell breaks loose!

Positives:
*Well developed storyline and characters.
*Acting was generally decent. Good direction covered most flaws ok.
*The fxs were mostly top notch all around. The cgi was used properly for the ambiance and scenery, which is very integral to the story.
*Story execution was top notch after a slightly rough beginning. I cared about the characters and some of the horror was a little heartbreaking. It built up slowly, but never really too slow. Exposition wasn't shoved down your throat. There is well done progression.
*Some of the fxs and gore are downright crazy!

Negatives:
Mostly nitpicking stuff. Nothing that blatantly stands out as overtly bad.
*A couple of annoying characters that were not needed. Specifically, the Mayor is the main offender as she annoyingly bulldozes through plot. The Tommy Chong character wasn't really necessary but it gave them something to do, and hey, it's Tommy F'n Chong!
*I was prepared to be po'd at some questionable behavior by the characters (looking at you Mr. Cage!) but the weird effects of the metorite make it a plot point. Still, there were a couple of moments but I have to give Nic Cage props for a generally job well done.
*A couple of cgi monsters are a bit too much. But they move fairly quickly and the shots so it isn't too overly blatant.

A lot of Lovecraft, with a healthy dose of Nic Cage with a couple of patented freakouts, and some very The Thing style monsters. A fun ride!

I'll go about an 8 out of 10. I highly recommend!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally watched Color Out of Space with Nic Cage. I'd heard good things and I really enjoyed it.

It is a classic H.P. Lovecraft tale, the same that I reviewed a mostly black and white version from Germany which was only so-so. But they did this version from the perspective of the family living on the land instead of the surveyor.

Nic Cage is a dad of a daughter who practices witchcraft, a son who literally sneaks off to the woods to smoke dope with Tommy Chong(!), and a little 4-eyed son. His wife is recovering from cancer. So he bought alpacas and moved everyone way out into the woods.
A surveyor hydrologist meets the family and a few other characters. The family struggles. Then a large glowing metorite crashes into their yard. Everything becomes infected by whatever came with the metorite. All animals, and foliage slowly start to change, as well as the family member's behavior. Things go to shit. Eventually all hell breaks loose!

Positives:
*Well developed storyline and characters.
*Acting was generally decent. Good direction covered most flaws ok.
*The fxs were mostly top notch all around. The cgi was used properly for the ambiance and scenery, which is very integral to the story.
*Story execution was top notch after a slightly rough beginning. I cared about the characters and some of the horror was a little heartbreaking. It built up slowly, but never really too slow. Exposition wasn't shoved down your throat. There is well done progression.
*Some of the fxs and gore are downright crazy!

Negatives:
Mostly nitpicking stuff. Nothing that blatantly stands out as overtly bad.
*A couple of annoying characters that were not needed. Specifically, the Mayor is the main offender as she annoyingly bulldozes through plot. The Tommy Chong character wasn't really necessary but it gave them something to do, and hey, it's Tommy F'n Chong!
*I was prepared to be po'd at some questionable behavior by the characters (looking at you Mr. Cage!) but the weird effects of the metorite make it a plot point. Still, there were a couple of moments but I have to give Nic Cage props for a generally job well done.
*A couple of cgi monsters are a bit too much. But they move fairly quickly and the shots so it isn't too overly blatant.

A lot of Lovecraft, with a healthy dose of Nic Cage with a couple of patented freakouts, and some very The Thing style monsters. A fun ride!

I'll go about an 8 out of 10. I highly recommend!
Well damn... Guess I'm going to have to watch this after all. Trailer did not appeal to us the first time we saw it. Going to have to revisit & persuade next time! lol.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well damn... Guess I'm going to have to watch this after all. Trailer did not appeal to us the first time we saw it. Going to have to revisit & persuade next time! lol.
As always I might overrate certain aspects a bit but overall it was a good watch.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched Dog Soldiers with a buddy that hadn't seen it before. He enjoyed it but I actually downgraded it a bit.

Still a very good werewolf movie but some of the fxs were cheesy, and a couple nonsensical moments. A couple of particular points:
*They camp below a large rocky outcrop. At some point something throws an entire cow carcass into their camp. They react by basically saying "That's strange. Lets keep a diligent watch". I would be freaking out on high alert and organizing the platoon for defensive movement. But they just set a watch and try to sleep.

*A werewolf arm keeps breaking through windows and sticking through partly open doors. It got to the point where we shouted "Oh no! The arm is back!" like it was a character in the movie.

Still a good movie, particularly by werewolf movie standards. But hopefully they have a slightly better budget for the sequel.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched Dog Soldiers with a buddy that hadn't seen it before. He enjoyed it but I actually downgraded it a bit.

Still a very good werewolf movie but some of the fxs were cheesy, and a couple nonsensical moments. A couple of particular points:
*They camp below a large rocky outcrop. At some point something throws an entire cow carcass into their camp. They react by basically saying "That's strange. Lets keep a diligent watch". I would be freaking out on high alert and organizing the platoon for defensive movement. But they just set a watch and try to sleep.

*A werewolf arm keeps breaking through windows and sticking through partly open doors. It got to the point where we shouted "Oh no! The arm is back!" like it was a character in the movie.

Still a good movie, particularly by werewolf movie standards. But hopefully they have a slightly better budget for the sequel.
Been too long since I've seen it, but I do remember enjoying it. And that camp scene with the cow carcass does come to mind and I do remember laughing about that! lol