• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a strangely fun movie... I'm in

Comes out in early December.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I rewatched Bride of Re-Animator for thr first time in years the other day. It is a lesser film than the original in the series, cult classic Re-Animator, but still puts enough on the table to make a decent crazy Lovecraftian/zombie flick.
The movie starts with the boys, Dan and Herbert, working as warzone medics somewhere in South America after fleeing the events of the first movie. This is great for Herbert who enjoys the flow of fresh test subjects with few questions. However this quickly falls apart as their base is overrun.
For some ridiculous reason they decide to return to the Miskatonic University in Arkham where all the shit went down in the first movie (yes, Arkham Asylum in the Batman is named after the Lovecraft lore) and move into an old mortuary next to a graveyard to continue their work. Would they have been smarter doing this almost anywhere else? Well yes, but for some reason the writers wanted to keep as close as possible to the Lovecraft world I guess? Things immediately start going batshit crazy with West reanimating individual body parts and building larger creatures out of them. Dan continues his whiny tortured routine from before and he kinda falls for a dying patient that he relates to Megan, his fiancee who was killed in the first movie (but not before getting molested by a decapitated head!). But such emotion doesn't stop Dan from hooking up with Alotta Fagina from Austin Powers
20201007_124317.jpg
(West scolds him to "Think with the big head, not the little head").

Also a detective is hot on their tail following up the case as his wife was zombified in the first movie, and the new head of the pathology manages to reanimate the head of West nemesis Dr. Carl Hill. For some crazy reason they sew bat wings on Dr. Hill's decapitated head so he can fly around, oh, and he can still control other zombies with his mind.
Dan's patient dies so they smuggle her back to their mortuary house and start piecing her together with the promise of using Megan's heart to entice the horny Dan who also brings Alotta Fagina back to the graveyard house for dinner and screwing. The police detective shows up and confronts them, gets killed, then reanimated. Then Dr. Hill's flying bathead shows up along with his zombie hoards just as not-Megan gets reborn as a horrific conglomeration of body pparts.Things go to shit. Chaos ensues. Heads roll. Blood and gore flow.

All in all, a worthy but lesser sequel to the classic Re-Animator. Stuart Gordon didn't return so the original series producer Brian Yunza directed. The actors who played Dan and Dr. Hill reprise their roles, but far more important is the return of Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West. Combs carries this picture much as he does most of the lower-mid budget horror he is in. In fact I personally list him as my alltime #2 B-horror actor behind only Bruce Campbell's majestic chin. The homage to Lovecraft is blended with the obvious Bride of Frankenstein homage.
Lots of schlock, gore, and weird craziness as West's creations flood the sets. I think 6.5 to 7 out of 10 range.

A fine October watch! Check out the whole series, or watch some other Jeffery Combs' "classics" like The Frighteners, From Beyond, Necronomicon Book of the Dead, The House on Haunted Hill, The Pit and the Pendulum, etc.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday the 13th marathon on AMC today....

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alotta Fagina from Austin Powers
20201007_124317.jpg

(West scolds him to "Think with the big head, not the little head").

She's topless in Diplomatic Immunity...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started to watch it last night, 15 min was all I could handle
That good huh?

Was going to watch it tonight... But I may have to pump the breaks on that.

Maybe I'll give Antebellum (2020) or Alone (2020) a shot... Or maybe I'll finally give The Beach House (2020) a go. Been holding off on that one ever since someone in here said it was disappointing.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That good huh?

Was going to watch it tonight... But I may have to pump the breaks on that.

Maybe I'll give Antebellum (2020) or Alone (2020) a shot... Or maybe I'll finally give The Beach House (2020) a go. Been holding off on that one ever since someone in here said it was disappointing.

yeah I think I'll give Alone a shot. I put on Antebellum and it must be my ADHD or something, if a movie doesn't catch my interest in 10 min or looks cheesy, unfortunately I don't give it a chance

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I think I'll give Alone a shot. I put on Antebellum and it must be my ADHD or something, if a movie doesn't catch my interest in 10 min or looks cheesy, unfortunately I don't give it a chance
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. It takes a completely abysmal, high-school film project style movie in order to make me give up on a movie. Or just a movie that is so flawed that it outright pisses me off for insulting my intelligence. And I ain't that intelligent Sonny... lol

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fingers crossed but I'm not overly optimistic. Stephen King books don't always translate well to film, and mini-series tend to work even worse. Combine this with the "necessary" social commentary and it makes me wary.

The original mini-series had a great first half and a shitty second half (much like It). But hopefully this new one can improve on this.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fingers crossed but I'm not overly optimistic. Stephen King books don't always translate well to film, and mini-series tend to work even worse. Combine this with the "necessary" social commentary and it makes me wary.

The original mini-series had a great first half and a shitty second half (much like It). But hopefully this new one can improve on this.
Great book, and I'll check this out, but I agree with you about the original mini-series. Add the original "It" to that. Hell, that might prove true for the second one as well.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching It Follows. This chick is not very bright, is she?

17163e93fd02308ae0c5197f4917910e31-13-it-follows.rsquare.w700.jpg